K11 1999 GX 1.3 - Non Starter

Hi Folks

I have now ended up with a non starting micra, with error codes 141, 142 & 144, yes thats the codes so not the usual 2 digit ones.

Turns and has a good healthy spark at all cylinders, but does not fire, fuel ok to the rail, injector plugs reading 12v but no pulse.

I have fitted a new throttle body ( brand new, not renovated), but it ran ok then died after about 20 miles, with the same symptoms prior to the throttle body change. RAC arrived to look at it and he found no pulsing from the injector blocks.

The engine management light flashes all the time, even after a reset, light stops flashing, ignition off then back o and starts flashing straight away before even activating the starter motor.

I will refit old throttle body to start a process of fault finding from there, but any help appreciated.

Cheers

Jim

OP
OP
J
Update..

Changed the throttle body over to the old one, same result, both run with fuel poured in, engine fires and runs.

Checked all fuses and all are ok.

Engine codes remain the same, ECU s working as identifies self created errors with correct codes.

I think it is now down to the distributor, as there is nothing else that would affect the injectors in not supplying fuel.

TONEY

Ex. Club Member
check the back of the fuse box next to your battery they tend to corrode
it wont be the fuse but the holders have a good look at the back of it/underneath

any lights coming up on the dash eg engine managment

it will be nothing to do with the dizzy as you said it run when you pored petrol in

OP
OP
J
Thanks for the replies:

Checked the fuse holder and the fuse all ok, getting 12v at the injector plugs.

Fuel pump is running ok, loads pumping out of the filter.

The fault code is 141 & 142

Frustrating fault, my wife bought it from a local garage "as seen", it seems that it might have had troubles before! I serviced it and the ignition was advanced 10 degrees, when I reset it to 15 it started to misfire when hot, it also struggled for power, reason I went for the resolder and then a new TB. Even resetting the timing to the previous advanced setting, it still remained, obviously I upset the apple cart.

Cheers

Jim

OP
OP
J
Swapped the distributor over and still the same fault, non starter. Anyone know what else controls the pulse on the injectors? A relay I am missing that could be faulty, last ditch attempt before I drop it off at Nissan.

Cheers

Jim

frank

Club Member
jim, i think the injectors are pulsed on the negative side (from the ecu).
what type of diagnostic plug is yours ? (14 or 16 pin)

OP
OP
J
Thanks for the reply, it's the 14 pin one Frank. The symptoms started with hesitaation and loss of power when warm, reason for the throttle body initially. I am not familiar with the Micra relay layout or fuses (with the exception of where they are labeled =) ), what are the three that are in the engine bay beside the battery , 2 x blue, 1 x black?

I am very adept at mechanics but limited on the electrical side.

Cheers

Jim

frank

Club Member

Attachments

• PICT0192.JPG
    PICT0192.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 1,000
OP
OP
J
Thanks Frank, only 3 in mine, 3,5 & 6.

This is driving me crazy as car is not worth that much, but has now got to me and I don't like being beat by an inert object! It is one of these times that the basic service I gave it, plugs, filters, oil and timing should never have caused this sequence of events.

OP
OP
J
Time to revisit this post! Car is now running again, the fault codes 141 & 142 seem very much NATS related. The awesome ED sorted out a ECU for me, at a very reasonable price, basically he re-mapped a K11 pre NATS for me so it just plugged straight in and vroom!

The car still has an intermittent misfire, but will now start to diagnose that issue as I have a working engine.

Will update as I go along.

Thanks to Micra Sports Club for a wealth of information and Fusion for sorting out my ECU issues.

Jim (Y)

OP
OP
J
Micra is now running as expected, the misfire and stutter traced to the distributor, replaced with a new unit.

I must admit I should have paid for the diagnostics to start with and probably would have traced the fault. The red herring in it all was the ECU failure on the NATS, which threw all my fault finding into to disarray. :blues:

All the forum topics and the symptoms are common to the fault diagnosis of the the throttle body due to the stutter and hesitation, some to the distributor or sensors.

In my opinion I think the £75 for diagnostics is well spent if you consider the time put in to self diagnose the old fashioned way.

The good thing to come of it, is I have found a great forum with some excellant tips and solutions on Micra's. (Y)