K11 1.4i Automatic 2001 (Y reg) - Throttle body question

N1554N

Site Supporter
my throttle body is playing up, which is making the idle unstable and the engine stall.
i've looked at a potential DIY fix which is to re-solder the joints on the circuit, but, my throttle body doesnt look the same as the ones i see in the guide found here

throttlebody_guidepic.jpg

mine looks like this: (phone pic - apologies for quality)

Adur-20111020-00114.jpg

any ideas as to where the circuit might be on this model? or is it different as its an automatic?? would it be behind that black plastic panel on the lower connector?

been quoted around £700 to get it replaced. didn't pay much more than that for the car.
not a happy bunny.
Hope some one here can help....

ta for the response :) whats the part that i've pointed to in my pic then, if the part above is the air flow mass sensor?

thats your t/p/s, try a google search on "micra.org bosch maf" there,s loads of threads on here (our search function on here sucks fwn)
FYI I replaced the search box in the top right with a Google SiteSearch which should show better results :)

will unplugging the maf sensor be ok for a return journey to gatwick? the mrs needs the car to get to work tomorrow and i wont have the chance to get the part in time....

have now replaced the sensor and all seems ok so far. also replacing oil/air filter and sparks. i did notice that the screws were very easy to undo - a possible cause of the problem in the first place maybe??
another question would be: the pipe thats connected to the air filter box (the the one thats routed to the front of the engine bay just behind the passenger headlight) doesnt seem to be sealed, so sucks in a lot of air from around it - the air filter i pulled out was filthy. would this help prolong the condition of the MAF sensor by sealing it up some?

have now replaced the sensor and all seems ok so far. also replacing oil/air filter and sparks. i did notice that the screws were very easy to undo - a possible cause of the problem in the first place maybe??
another question would be: the pipe thats connected to the air filter box (the the one thats routed to the front of the engine bay just behind the passenger headlight) doesnt seem to be sealed, so sucks in a lot of air from around it - the air filter i pulled out was filthy. would this help prolong the condition of the MAF sensor by sealing it up some?
I wouldn't really block the intake hole. The filter is doing it's job properly if it's filthy. :)

that pipe is just trying to suck in cooler air from the outer edge of the bay.

Sorry to hijack, but see the sensor thats unplugged in the pic with 4 pins directly above the arrow, when i bought my car it was unplugged, if i plug it in it cuts out, also the engine light is on?! does anyone know the problem? its been a while since ive been on or even had a micra, and this is my first facelift! :(

my reply may be a little late but:
that'll be the air flow sensor. its faulty, which is why the car runs fine while its unplugged. that's how i ran my car until i got it replaced (its ok for a little while, it'll just run a little heavy on the petrol side of things - but too long and it may start to mess up your spark plugs/valves etc...). they're on ebay for around 15-20 quid i think.
you'll need to undo the 2 screws (5 star security screws) that are holding the sensor in, pull out gently, then just slot your new one in, screw it back in properly, then bobs your uncle.
the light on your dash is the EML (engine management light) i think once you have sorted the sensor out, you just unplug the battery for a few hours and the light will reset. i've yet to do that on mine....

Save your money and replace defective part.

Hi, just had the same problem on mine. Changed the Throttle Potentiometer which is the plastic bit you have the arrow pointing to in your photo and cured the problem. Got a new one on ebay for £15. You can also buy a new Air Mass Flow Meter which is the bit of plastic that plugs into the top of the throttle body for around £20 on ebay.Hope this helps.

Back