K11 1.3 Auto has a 'cough'

Hi there,

I'm new on here and thought I'd ask whether you could diagnose an unusual, very intermittent fault my 1995 1.3 SLX Auto has developed in the last few months. It has done c35000 miles from new, and the throttle body was changed some 10 years ago when the original one started causing problems.

The current issue is that, very occasionally, and, usually after the car has been driven for at least 30 minutes, the engine judders or 'coughs'. If I press the accelerator to rev the engine it 'clears' the problem and the car is fine again. Often the problem does not re-occur again for the remainder of the journey. The fault seems to manifest itself on a light throttle or closed throttle. On two occasions it has happened when the engine was near idle or at idle, and it caused the car to stall. It restarted immediately and carried on. I have done several longer journeys on the motorway with no sign of the fault at all, and the car can go on several town journeys before the fault reappears. I think it might be starting to become more regular, though.

I love the old thing and would like to keep it going if it's a reasonably simple fix. Any suggestions much appreciated!

Thomas

Id start by giving it a service if it hasnt had one in a while. Especially the fuel filter and vacuum lines.
Also id look out for a distributor and a throttlebody. Just to have them laying around when they do fail.

OP
OP
M
Thank you so much for your advice!

Is there an obvious place, like Ebay, to look for parts like the distributor and throttle body? I remember it was quite hard to get an auto-only throttle body replacement, and this was some years back.

If i remember correctly the auto and manual throttlebody are the same except for the throttle cable linkage. But im 80% sure you can swap that part between them.

Id just call some scrapyards

OP
OP
M
If i remember correctly the auto and manual throttlebody are the same except for the throttle cable linkage. But im 80% sure you can swap that part between them.

Id just call some scrapyards
Thank you Maarten. It's great to have some options for me to try! Best wishes, Thomas