K11 1.0 brake problem and upgrade

Hi all, I've got a 1 litre k11 and looking to upgrade brakes on the front end. Does anyone have any experience upgrading to pulsar or Almera disks and calipers who can offer advice. Also I suspect I've got a servo problem due to an air leak has anyone else experienced any problems with the servo before?

Thanks everyone

Kyle

Hi all, I've got a 1 litre k11 and looking to upgrade brakes on the front end. Does anyone have any experience upgrading to pulsar or Almera disks and calipers who can offer advice. Also I suspect I've got a servo problem due to an air leak has anyone else experienced any problems with the servo before?

Thanks everyone

Kyle
Fitted almera fronts yesterday, just need 4x2mm thick m10 washers to go between the brake caliper and the hub. Won't fit behind anything smaller than 14's though.

nice,,,,,,go to fit mine soon. did you undo the break line and tighten up the almera one quick to not loose to much fluid ?

Thanks mate, do you no which Almera they came from or even better the model number for the disk and caliper. Have you noticed a massive difference in braking?

Thanks mate, do you no which Almera they came from or even better the model number for the disk and caliper. Have you noticed a massive difference in braking?
They came from my V-eg 1.6 almera SLX (n15), I didn't get the part number before fitting them. Its more noticeable for me but I have a much larger rolling radius on my wheel/tyre setup so braking force at wheels was reduced, so upgrading took braking back to where it should be. I'd not bother unless tracking it (for improved brake cooling) or of you're putting stickier, wider tyres on that will actually be able to transmit the braking force to the road, as you'll probably just find it easier to lockup rather than get any meaningful braking improvement. Tbh, I'd get stickier tyres before upgrading brakes, as that will improve braking, acceleration and cornering...

Stickier tyres just hide the inability to drive ;)
As a brake upgrade. A good brake pad, braided lines and fresh fluid :)

Gonna go with the pulsar brakes. Car could do with some new boots though so I appreciate the advice. And it's my first car so couldn't hide the inability to drive if I tried haha

Pulsar brakes are serious overkill for your car.
The 1.0l may struggle just to drag them along :p
Lot of money and work for a potentially pointless gain :/
Your car though :)

Pulsar brakes are serious overkill for your car.
The 1.0l may struggle just to drag them along :p
Lot of money and work for a potentially pointless gain :/
Your car though :)

The amount of braking torque on the rotating wheel is affected by Pressure x CoF x Leverage x Mass

Pressure - how hard the pads are forced against the disc. the big pulsar pistons provide more clamping force at the expense of longer pedal travel.
Coefficient of Friction - dependent on material & temperature (matching pads to application is very important). All brakes have an optimum operating temperature range for max Cof but becomes inefficient outside that range.
Leverage - larger diameter disc provides more leverage
Mass - the GTIR caliper & discs is twice as heavy as the stock brakes. more rotating inertia makes it harder to accelerate & decelerate and more unsprung weight for the suspension to handle)

basically on a small 1L used only on the street, it won't induce enough kinetic energy into the pulsar brakes to get the pads within optimum temps (unless you intentionally ride the brakes while at full power down a hill) and the extra weight will hurt acceleration and economy

frictional brakes basically convert kinetic energy into heat via those 4 factors above and getting the best out of them is all about heat management.

if the pads too cold or don't heat up fast enough for your street application, pick a softer low heat material.
if the pads get too hot and fade, either pick a harder high heat material and/or manage the heat via more surface area (vented or bigger discs) and cooling (ducts, spacious wheels)

Everydays a schoolday polly eh :p
And I get through pads like I don't know what :/ must slow down or blame something.... I blame my heavy engine :D

theres a number of upgrades ive been considering. at the moment ive got standard setup, but next week im putting EBC greenstuff pads in. had them on my last micra and they were epic. im saving up for an almera setup though. im on 195/50/15 Toyo T1-Rs.

Think people who had their discs got warping and cracking or somin like that, never had a problem myself was just trying to help him out :)

Everything acts differently at higher speed.
They were probably on track with little brake cooling or too much
You won't have problems on a daily :)

Back