K10's in the Fog?

K10

Ex. Club Member
This is a weird one- could be purely coincidence though!

I drove over to my folks place last night, its about a 35 mile trip and the motorway was thick with fog.

When I got closer to desination on the M60, it was really thick fog- and i started getting a misfire, so I just thought it was a bit of crap in the carb, so dropped it a cog and gunned it to "clear its throat."

It ran Ok ah high revs but spluttered a bit at low revs, and it started getting worse so I pulled over onto the hard shoulder.

I popped the bonnet and gave it a rev and had a listen- the revs just wouldnt pick up. So I whipped off the spaceship lid and revved it again (no filter) and it cleared no problem!

Now it could be coinsidence that the carb did have crap in it and it cleared through when I took the filter and lid off, but I found it terribly ironic that on the way home, there was another K10 sat on the hard shoulder in the thickest bit of fog.....

Will taking the filter off have helped? All I could think of is that maybe the moisture in the air was somehow clogging the filter, but that could be a load of old tosh.

Stank of fuel too the air filter, but I put that down to it being a stinky old carb- could be wrong, oh and the filter is not that old and certainly wasnt that dirty.

PS throttle response is somewhat improved with an open choke :) Just lucky i got no stones and grenaded the engine :k10:

i guess it could be to do with the ignition leads and coil getting wet from the fog or the air being to dense for the fueling ????

Most likely to be electrical. Check the leads, dizzy cap & rotor arm. Maybe give the inside of the cap a clean or replace it.

You might also want to check your timing is ok! I've heard with poor conditions like that and poor timing can cause a few problems.

in the bad fog we had down south my k10 had no trouble, i even took it up mount snowdon and broke through the fog layer. no worries fully loaded pulling up hill. and what a view!!

Cheers chaps! Makes much more sense to me that :)

its due a service in the next couple of months so i may well give it a big one!

is the summer/winter air flap swiched to winter? mine used to do something similar, to the point of almost stopping. Swiching to winter always worked

Carb was probably icing up. Very common on carburettored K10s. Make sure that you are getting warm air via the intake. If it persists run a piece of separate flexi hose from a pick up point close to the exhaust manifold pointed as close to the carb body as possible.

Incidentally the K10 runs ten times better with a Dell'Orto!

The winter/summer switch doesnt really make much difference. Some people run there car's without air pans & a hot air source at all and they still work fine.

Im with Andtrew, it was prob carb icing. I have had this happen in a K10 once before its quite a strange experience. I would be surprised if it was the fog that caused dampness, not impossible but less likely than carb icing imo.

Im with Andtrew, it was prob carb icing. I have had this happen in a K10 once before its quite a strange experience. I would be surprised if it was the fog that caused dampness, not impossible but less likely than carb icing imo.

Wierd,had the st out in the fog there the other loves the fog for some probably the intercooler iceing up,he he.It was actually rediculous could get the power down!

the intercooler would never ice up :) Infact if it did it would be a good thing lol.

Back