K10 tubular manifold.

Normski

Ex. Club Member
I would like a 4-2-1 janspeed manifold for a k10? does such a thing exist and what are the benifits from such a thing? also whats the diffrence between a 4-2-1 manifold and a 4-1 manifold?
cheers guys and merrx xmas :D

4-2-1 means 4 pipes then 2 then down to 1

4-1 is 4 pipes into 1

i dont know if there is any advantages / disadvantages between the two but im sure some one else will post!

i thought it was the other way around, as a 4-2-1 allows the gasses to me more seperate for longer giving better top end power and the 4-1 gives better torque.

I think it should be possible to modify a k11 manifold yeah, although it's quite some money to fiddle around with. Need to make yourself an adapter plate for the engine and would need some work too on the exhaust connection I guess.

At the moment I'm trying to make an exhaust manifold myself, making the flange on the engine is already quite some work (although when using an exhaust manifold gasket you get very nice outlines how to make the flange).
When that's finished it's time to weld all the pipes together with the corners and the 2-1 parts etc. Once it's finished (which will take some time since I don't have much time) I'll surely post pictures and results :)

Anyway, getting one pre-made might be quite expensive because I don't think there are any aftermarket ones for the K10. And making one yourself might take some time and hard work. And adapting a K11 manifold might be expensive ánd some work :D

I think it should be possible to modify a k11 manifold yeah, although it's quite some money to fiddle around with. Need to make yourself an adapter plate for the engine and would need some work too on the exhaust connection I guess.

At the moment I'm trying to make an exhaust manifold myself, making the flange on the engine is already quite some work (although when using an exhaust manifold gasket you get very nice outlines how to make the flange).
When that's finished it's time to weld all the pipes together with the corners and the 2-1 parts etc. Once it's finished (which will take some time since I don't have much time) I'll surely post pictures and results :)

Anyway, getting one pre-made might be quite expensive because I don't think there are any aftermarket ones for the K10. And making one yourself might take some time and hard work. And adapting a K11 manifold might be expensive ánd some work :D

what material are you you using for the manfold to head flange also how thick is it?

I'm using normal steel now, think it's about 10-15mm thick. If the project works and everything is ok then I'll be concidering doing the same with high grade stainless steel. But steel is cheap, stainless steal is more expensive :D

modifiing the k11 janspeed manifold would be easy, youd need to get a k10 flange machined, cut of the k11 flange weld on the k10 one simple as that, i put a k11 manifold up to a k10 and the ports all line up quite well, i meant to do this a long time ago but never got round to it

there are no off the shelf k10 exhaust manifolds they would have to be custom made

You made a new flange for the k10 or cut off the flange from the exhaust manifold? Because the existing exhaust manifold didn't look like good welding material to me, I thought it would splatter all over the place :D
Cutting the flange off a k10 manifold would be much more easy when it's good for welding.

i thought the inlet and exhaust ports are the same and the manifold shape so could u not mill don and inlet manifold to make the exhaust flange like mine had had done to accept the carbs ??

Well, the inlet is made out of aluminium afaik, so don't think that's useable.
Anyway, getting yourself a gasket will give a perfect form for the manifold.
I'm already using the flange from the inlet manifold (for fitting other carbs). But making my own exhaust manifold flange since that's another material.

However getting a K11 421 manifold and weld that on a k10 flange is certainly the most easy way to go :)
Hmm.. might be worth checking around here for a cheap k11 manifold to save me some time :D Although doing it yourself is usually quite some fun.

Exhast ports on the K10 are round so its very easy to make a steel plate. Make sure however it is at least 10mm thick or its likely to warp when you weld pipes to it.

Hmm, perhaps someone knows a bit more info about all this, but..

I'm going to make a custom 4-2-1 exhaust manifold from steel. My idea how to do this is:
Making a flange (with the gasket as reference), then I'm going to use those 'welding corners' (like this one <- linky) to go down again. Have to make me 3 of those 2-1 pieces to get from 2 pipes to one. And then obviously need to fix something to get the exhaust connected (or just weld it).

Now my question is before I go any further:
What are good dimensions to use (diameter for the pipes). Should I just use the diameter of the exhaust ports and when it comes together for the exhaust to go wider to the diameter of the exhaust? (this is how I'm planning on doing it now)
Because I've heared on a numerous of occasions that there needs to be some sort of backpressure in the manifold/exhaust for the engine. Although I reckon that the backbox would also take care of that a bit which should be enough.
I'm going to use the standard exhaust/backbox for now just to see how that goes. And mainly because I'm trying to get this done myself relatively cheap :D

So if you guys think this is a good way to go, then I can get on with it and order me some pipework :D Better safe than sorry! And what's a better place to ask than here on the forums :p

Can someone clarify that the janspeed k11 manifold will fit in the k10bay with some space? next thing for my car (once everything that is half done is complete!) will be an exhaust manifold and i figure someone should try adapting the k11 one! also the next student loan installment comes through soon! could someone with a k11 and k10 handy give it a quick rough measure please.

this one i made myself some time ago out of an old standard vauxhall astra 2.0 16v(red top)it didn't take long its only a case of cutting off the vauxhall flanges pulling the 4 pipes in to make them narrower and a bit of cutting re routting and rewelding up under the engine
when you make the flange plate only make it out of 8mm flat steal or else when you weld the 4 pipes to any thicker steal youle will have a job to get it to seat and it will blow.
6-Picture%20259.jpg

You made a new flange for the k10 or cut off the flange from the exhaust manifold? Because the existing exhaust manifold didn't look like good welding material to me, I thought it would splatter all over the place :D
Cutting the flange off a k10 manifold would be much more easy when it's good for welding.

i said i intended to do it, i wouldnt use either flange off the manifolds id get a k10 flange laser cut in steel or something like that then weld that on to the k11 janspeed (IF i did it) which i have not.

Can someone clarify that the janspeed k11 manifold will fit in the k10bay with some space? next thing for my car (once everything that is half done is complete!) will be an exhaust manifold and i figure someone should try adapting the k11 one! also the next student loan installment comes through soon! could someone with a k11 and k10 handy give it a quick rough measure please.

does no-one read? read my replay it tells you exactly what is required.

the k11 janspeed will not fit the k10 modification is required like i have already said

i said i intended to do it, i wouldnt use either flange off the manifolds id get a k10 flange laser cut in steel or something like that then weld that on to the k11 janspeed (IF i did it) which i have not.

does no-one read? read my replay it tells you exactly what is required.

the k11 janspeed will not fit the k10 modification is required like i have already said

i only made that one on the cheap but if your gunna go down that road with lazer cut flanges which then you may as well get a proper one made like this one it had laser cut flanges but do the hole lot out of stainless instead
9-Picture%20344.jpg

on the reading thing i had read it, i just wanted to check that i would fit in the engine BAY in general. also it may not be ideal but more cost affective, couldnt i machine a block to go inbetween to guide from one to the other (if you get what i mean). so machine one side to fit the engine and the other to fit the manifold if done well i cant see it affecting the preformance of the manifold. does this ever get done or am i just wrong?

I guess some might do it. It's 100% sure possible. But the question you should ask yourself is:"Is this more easy than doing it another way?" The answer would be: no.

Because why would you make yourself an adapter flange, which is probably harder to make because there are 2 sides which are different.
It would be much easier to just make yourself a 'simple' flange on which you can weld the manifold.
Making a straight hole into a piece of metal is usually easier than one with perhaps a different diameter on both sides and going sideways.

The only reason I can come up with to use an adapter plate is when you don't want to cut the flange off the original 4-2-1 manifold...

send me the hole manifold and i will convert it for £??,you have got to be carefull because there not alot of room on number 1 cyclinder under the altenater,its easy on mine because i dont run one

Back