k10 questions

superls

K10 Tuner
hi all,

need to find out a couple of little things before starting my latest project.

does anyone know the stock valve duration and lift.

can anyone suggest any durations and lift which better suite a turbo car, such as the figaro valve duration and lift, (if different from the non turbo ma)

ive read a couple of things mentioning that when turbo'ing reduce the compression ratio. ive hered of spacers used between the head and block, 2 headgaskets, and obviously custom pistons. but as i have a couple of spare sets of pistons and metal working machinary could i not just take some off the top of the piston?

also how is the compression ratio calculated?

what is the c/r of the figaro as a comparison?

cheers i think that is all for know, thanks in advance superls.

superls

i,ve seen the fig engine c/r listed as 8:1, and personally i would open up the combustion chambers to drop your c/r, then check they are equal, and (for example) 10% bigger with a perspex cover with a hole in the middle over the chamber, then measure how much thin oil is needed to fill the chamber.
i posted a wiki page the other week with the cam specs (st etc) but i cant find the damn thing now:doh: (i think forced induction cams just need very little overlap)

superls

i,ve seen the fig engine c/r listed as 8:1, and personally i would open up the combustion chambers to drop your c/r, then check they are equal, and (for example) 10% bigger with a perspex cover with a hole in the middle over the chamber, then measure how much thin oil is needed to fill the chamber.
i posted a wiki page the other week with the cam specs (st etc) but i cant find the damn thing now:doh: (i think forced induction cams just need very little overlap)

is that a slight overlap on the inlet and outlet valv on the same cylinder? or something totally different?

surley its easier to mke the pistons have a flatter top then to machining the cylinder head? how would you open up the combustion chambers? what advantages over taking a bit off the piston does it achieve?

superls

yeh, n/a,s use overlap (exh closing overlaping the inlet opening) to scavenge the spent gasses from the combustion chamber, but a turbo would blow too much fresh charge out with the spent gasses.
i think you would risk a melted top ring if you machined the piston crown, and opening up an ally combustion chamber should be a doddle :) (have a look at makrakin08,s head)

frank, just looked at his head and it doesnt look like theres been alot taken out, will that much really make any differance at all?

having not examined the pistons maybe i could take a little but of material out of the 'dish' to avoid going too close to the top ring?

frank, just looked at his head and it doesnt look like theres been alot taken out, will that much really make any differance at all?

having not examined the pistons maybe i could take a little but of material out of the 'dish' to avoid going too close to the top ring?

superls, they,ve gouged a fair bit from around the inlet valve, looks like about 10% (4cc ?) extra volume to me :)
and personaly, i would section a scrap piston to see how much meat there is, before deepening the dish :glance:

superls, they,ve gouged a fair bit from around the inlet valve, looks like about 10% (4cc ?) extra volume to me :)
and personaly, i would section a scrap piston to see how much meat there is, before deepening the dish :glance:

that would be good if i had 1 spare i have got 4 spares out of (well still in) an old engine, so cant afford to chop 1 up really, good idea though if i could get hold of a spare.

i do have a set of ma10 pistons though but dont really want to touch them.

Back