K10 - mod or leave factory?

Hi everyone, got a couple of questions, but a bit of info first.

Just become the 'lucky' owner of a 91 k10. Red 48k. I say lucky cos i've got to be honest, i wasn't initially best impressed. It's been biddyfied! so apart from some dodgey seat covers with bumps on, bump blocks on the door edges with reflectors in, black gaffer tape on the door sills for protection and an old hairy blanket on the back seat, it is completely original.

My dads had it since it was 2 and it's sat in his garage with battery disconnected and the handbrake off (doesn't want to stretch the cable) for the best part of the last 16 years. He's driven it regularly, until he practically moved to spain 8 years ago. Since then it has had a run out a couple of times a year (it did 47 miles in the last 18 months.fwn) I dont even think the radio has ever been turned on as when he drives as he says it's just noise!,

Anyway, it's just flown through it's MOT and he gave me it. (lucky as the alternator on my last 'runabout', a 95 AX went mental the day before i collected the micra)

I collected it last Sat from Barnsley, and inspite of the 1 speaker radio, by the time i had got an hour down the A1, my opinion of the little fella had changed.

When i got it home i gave it a look over, Standard wheels are a bit corroded but apart from that and a piant touchup on the drivers wing it hasn't got a mark on it. It is in amazing condition and drives as i would expect a new one to, it's made me think i might keep it rather than running for a few months before bunging it in the paper which was my first plan.

I've sorted the stereo and shoved some 3 ways in the doors, also shoved a set of trims on the wheels until i get round to sorting out the crud.

having looked over the forum i'm aware of some other touches i could do to tidy it up a bit. But i'm not sure if it's the right thing to do as the car is completely standard and i wouldn't think there are that many about in this condition that you can say that about.

I have plans to colour code the bumpers, handles and mirrors. change the wheels and add a centre console (ipod dock and large maccy dees coke holders). More ice and perhaps a light tint to the rears.
I may tighten up the suspension aswell but we'll see.

Not bothered about engine mods cos i don't think you can do much to it.

Although i think this would enhance my ownership experience, i don't want to ###### up what is a great little car.

Any feedback or oppinions would be appreciated.

Cheers
Ady

Vitus992

Ex. Club Member
Hi Ady

Sounds like you have a very rare beast indeed, Im sure some pics would be nice!
For me I would leave something like that factory but im sure others here will say its an ideal platform to upgrade!
Good luck and as I said some pics please!!

porkpie700

Buy & Sell Member
I think the first thing you need to do is decide what you want. If you had plans to keep the micra as a car to get you by untill you found something else then i would stick to that plan instead of putting money into a car that doesn't need it spent. Usually, micras that have been modded were shabby to start with and that's why they were modded, coz it ain't nice driving a banger everyday.

My own k10 LS was a mess when i got it, rotten wings, rusty back arches, bent bumpers, and the cills looked like they had been swapped for metal from the titanic, nightmare!
But it only cost me £9 so i wasn't fussed lol. What i did was firstly make the body solid and then upgrade it using all genuine parts from higher models, so the car is still "factory" and made from standard parts but it is now essentially a GSX with a Super S bodykit. I have the optional Nissan/Foha front & rear bumper yet to paint and put on, but when they're on it will be done in such a way that it will look as if it could have come from the factory that way.
Upgrading in that way also exploits an insurance loop-hole regarding mods, you're not really modding it, because it's still built to the manufacturers specification, but to the specification of the top models :grinning:

If you are are going to play with the k10 then i would definately reccomend colourcoding the bumpers according to how nissan did it (leaving the top and bottom sections black and only painting the middle). I know that it's your car and your choice but i really wouldn't paint the handles or mirrors, it just spoils the flow of the car, in my oppinion anyway.

Black (stock)
45415_429740764871_839509871_4645239_2181491_n.jpg

Colour-Coded (the Nissan way)
45415_429740769871_839509871_4645240_8056175_n.jpg

And yes they are k11 door stripes, but i couldn't find k10 ones at the time. I still haven't actually :glare:
Whatever you do, take care of your new little v8, they're cracking little cars!