K10 Micra Infomation

W

willisterm

I've just inherited a K10 Nissan Micra, I think its a 1.0 LS, 1985. Its got about 60k on the clock, and has been sat in the bottom of my girlfriends garage for about 6 years now.

Spent all this weekend working on it, trying to get it ready for MOT, and its taken ages, breaks were seized, battery was dead, radiator filled with rust, bumper missing some bolts, and a load of other little things.

I was surprised with the little thing though. The idea was, that if we couldn’t get it running, it was going to be scrap, and at first, it looked like that’s all it had destined for it. But, after a new battery, two new spark leads, 3 litres of oil and a long time manually cranking the engine, I got her to actually start up. This is the first time I’ve actually done any work on a car before, and I was really surprised at how simple the engine is.

Had to have all the wheel’s off, and checked out the front and rear breaks, and if it passes the MOT, that the next thing to be changed, as they are above the minimum, but only just.

The car needs a bit of coaxing to start, need to put the gas on for a bit, or it won’t turn over, and if the engine is cold it cuts out while idling, but I’m pretty sure that that’s just a timing issue, and should be fixable.

The plan for the car is, if it passes its MOT, or if it fails with under £200 worth of work needed, it’ll be kept, and then I’ll put it through a full service, which should pick up any other problems.

I’m interested to know what I should be looking out for, with a car this old, and about how long people think it could last, if treated well, as I’m willing to put in some money to do some modding and tuning, but I’m not going to pour good money after bad, if the car is likely to give up the ghost in a short while.

I’ve seen some of the things that can be done to the K10 Micra, and it seems like a simple engine, something that even a beginner like me can get my head around. I’ve got my eye on getting some body work done, alloys, and fitting a central locking kit, and I also want to do some work on the engine, to get a bit more power or economy, depending on my mood. What do you think would be good mods to do? The lpg gas conversion interests me, too.

Anyway, any hints/tips/comments would be muchly appreciated, and I’m planning on getting some pictures done during the week, though its nothing special.

Willisterman

Do a timing belt on it (vital). Other than that your already on the right lines.

Ed

Have u taken a look at the underbody? Hopefully it's been undersprayed! If not it might be rotted out.. Speaking of timing belts, i think mine's due soon... every 100k right?

Ta, I'll check out these when I've got some time after work. The underbody is actually in quite a good state, to my eyes, but that might not mean much.

Cleaning the carb would just be a case of taking it out, and soaking it in some carb cleaning fuild for a while, then placing it back in? Doesnt sound too hard.

Ta for the ideas.

Have u taken a look at the underbody? Hopefully it's been undersprayed! If not it might be rotted out.. Speaking of timing belts, i think mine's due soon... every 100k right?

if you want it to snap then yes! about every 60k (at the most) never worth risking letting it go for longer

Yea I'm Canadian, 60,000 Kilometers though?? Yikes, I must be WAY over-due :suspect: I'll talk to my friend who sold me it and see when the last time it was done.

A couple other things to check are: Vacuum hoses all over the engine bay, just give them a light tug and see if they're secure or trace them to their destination, the belt running your alternator (cause if that snaps you run the risk of purchasing another battery), check your throttle return spring (just to make sure it's not idling at 2k rpm like mine was :glare: ).. Start with that, I'm sure more will come up..

Word on the street is, if the belt snaps, things like to go through the bonnet :down: I'm getting it done sometime April... Gunna set me back a bit, but oh well... It's worth it lol

It wouldn't be as bad as that, I had a belt snap at 35mph and it only bent three valves, I was lucky I guess, worst case scenario would be holing a piston or three and/or seizing the engine.

Cars booked for its MOT tommorrow, hoping it will pass, or atleast pass with out too much work needed.

I think I remember somewhere that I dont need valid tax or MOT if I'm going to a pre-booked MOT appointment. I hope thats the case, as I'm not taxing the car till it passes. Waste of money if it doesnt. But I am insured on it, which is needed to go anywhere.

Anyway, wish me luck, maybe after tommorrow I become a valid member of the micra club :p

Craig

Yep spot on, but ur insurance can sometimes not be valid when driving a non taxed/motd car. it's an insurance gray area!!!!!

You couldn't get it taxed anyway coz u need an MOT certificate!

Well, got the results back. It would take far too long for me to list what it failed on.. . It passed on all the lights, the windscreen wipers, the tire conditions, the seatbelts, the horn and the seats.

Thats it.

Ah well, twas only a hope. Gota start looking for a new car, something in the £500 range. Seen a few small cars around that price, with 70k + 10-12 MoT, but they are snapped up fast.

That's a shame :( Use the micra as a field car or something... Or even use it to practice paint-jobs or just practice rebuilding the engine lol

Something I would have loved to have done, if I had the time/money, but with the amount that needed doing, I'd never get anywhere with it. I mean, replacing the sills isnt a job that I think I could do, and would need more kit than I have.

Anyway, just got myself a vauxhall corse 1.4 premier, with 54k on the clock. Not something for this forum, i know, but thought I would finish the story :)

The micra is being scrapped.

Back