K10 LS engine 'stuttering' problem...

edzmen

Ex. Club Member
I’ve recently been experiencing a strange fault with my K10’s engine, and I wondered if anybody had any ideas how to fix it:

My Micra is a J-reg LS model, with the 998cc [MA10??] engine.

Of late its developed a seemingly random fault where sometimes I just loose all smooth drive from the engine when I depress the accelerator - mainly in 2nd & 3rd gears – the engine ‘stutters’ badly combined with very jerky acceleration and big ‘holes’ in the power delivery when I depress the gas pedal.

The first time this fault happened I managed to cure it by accelerating hard in 3rd gear, but today the fault occurred in 4th gear on the motorway, and I had to pull over and turn off the engine before it fixed the problem.
Also this time the engine was juddering in 1st gear with the accelerator depressed, and it died completely when I depressed the clutch fully.

Im sure its not muck in the fuel system because I had the fuel filter replaced only two months ago when the car had its full service.

I spoke to one former Micra owner who said they had experienced similar with their car, and had to change the throttle body to fix the problem.

Anyone got any ideas as to what might be causing this problem?

Cheers!
;)

K10's dont have throttle bodies

It could be a fault with the carb, however to me it sounds like you need new HT leads / Dissy cap / rotor arm (maybe replace them all?)

When were yours last changed

Thanks Arnold - lol - im not sure when I last had them changed, I have a nasty feeling they're the original ones...

I had the same thing. seemed to do it on the motorway alot while going up hill slightly, i changed the plugs leads n such, helped for a while. But next time it did it, it blew a valve. I still dont know how it managed to blow it.

I know you probably didnt want to hear that, just warning that it can lead to bad things. But it blowing could have just been something else and was just unfortunate.

Cheers

Mulbers said:
I had the same thing. seemed to do it on the motorway alot while going up hill slightly, i changed the plugs leads n such, helped for a while. But next time it did it, it blew a valve. I still dont know how it managed to blow it.

How did you fix it - or didn't you?

Mulbers said:
I changed the plugs leads n such, helped for a while. But next time it did it, it blew a valve.

Fix the valve or the problem before. I just changed the engine after that had hapend.

i had a similar problem with my car and it was partially my carb but also my fuel filter, as soon as i changed the filter it stopped imo id change it before trying other things because its only about a £1 and it could well be it (and if not youve spent a buck and got a spare!). mulbers-changed the engine! seems slightly drastic for a valve?! (finally got my head fully off to change a valve today )

Sounds like ignition system breakdown. Service the rotor arm, cap leads and plugs. Change the fuel filter too. If this does not solve it then finally change the ignition coil. I have had this happen on K10's many times before.

Ed

I took your advice and had the plugs, leads, dissy cap and rotor arm replaced, as the mechanics couldn't find any problems with the carb.

Anyway, so far so good and the problem has not popped up since so thanks for that advice guys! I get better throttle response now too and the clutch cable seems tighter, whch is good! :)

If it does happen to occur again I'll take Ed's advice and have the ignition coil repaced - but fingers crossed its fixed...

edzmen said:
If it does happen to occur again I'll take Ed's advice and have the ignition coil repaced - but fingers crossed its fixed...

It did crop up again within a week - this time I had the whole Carb cleaned out and since then its ran great for the last 2 weeks.

Must be the fix for the problem [at last!]... :)

Back