• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

k10 Ga16 project

Mark f

Ex. Club Member
Hi All,
wanted to introduce myself and say hi,
just joined recently mainly to research my planned project.
I've recently finished a vtec mini project and wanted a new project so as my 1st car was a k10 many yrs ago,here I am.
I've picked up a 1 owner car with full dealer service history from new for €100 which is unheard of i think. This wkend i'm collecting a 97 primera P10, which has set me back €200. I've also pick'd up k11 hubs and calli's for free so most of the bits i need for €300 not bad.
I'm in no rush with the project so it'll take me most of the yr I think.

My only concern at the moment is suspension. Can anyone help me here I want coilovers. I have read in another tread that Mk2 Golf rears can be made fit. And its been suggested that k11 fronts can be made fit. Has anybody fitted coilovers to a K10 if so what type and how much modification to fit them. Any help would be appreciated.

Nice, should be an interesting project!

Yeah K11 fronts will fit and I'm not sure about the golf rears, but starlet rears fit also. I dont think there is any modding needed for a standard K10.

well i know yaris ones fit the k11? there carnt be much diffrance for the k10 if the k11 fronts fit...the suspesnion on both k11 and k10 seem to bolt up the same.

do you not need k11 hubs to fit k11 coilys? dont thinkg they will go straight onto k10 hubs!

also pulsar coilovers will fit if you was to drill another hole in the suspension turret i think!

quickdraw has fitted coilovers before i think might be worth looking at his blog

Disclaimer: possible misinformation

From what I have read, the main issue getting a ga16 into a k11 is the driver side mount. The cg13 engine fits a k10 really well with a little engine mount work. If the ga16 is not much wider, i believe it will fit without too much trouble. By too much, I mean, I think I have read the ga and cg gearboxes are a close match. If you can get a cg box on the ga engine, and the engine is not wider, assuming they do mate together, this conversion should get to the engine bolted in state fairly easily.

I have no idea about suspension.

Yes looking at the thread, if you can get a cg box on the ga, it should just be the one mount, which interestingly looks very similar to k11 mount in a k10.

i had the ga16 in mine and running for 2 weeks before the central release smashed on it!

it was only because i decided to redo all the front bumper and skirts that i managed to get the SR at the same time - which is when things went silly haha

ill dig out photos!

the under cross member fits to the rear mounting bracket as normal but i drilled it to the front cross member as there is no mounting to the front!

both side mounts need to be altered however!

the gearbox side needs widening! the o/s needs moving all together.

the wiring was pretty straight forward!

take it your using the carbed P10 ga16 aswell?

yes k11 front coilovers fit and golf rears fit!

however i had to remove them because of my rear disc conversion problems!

which i might actually be going back to hahah!

happy to help if you need any information

Hi all, thanks for the posts, just to update you all. Been collecting bits have got nearly everything i need just need to put them all together. The k10 is been stored at my parents and the primera i haven't collected yet, been busy. It's a p11 primera and I'm keeping the fuel injection system. looking at mounts not going to be too much of a problem, will just make them. Driveshafts I have sorted a engineering company that will make them. Thanks for the info on the suspension, I'm looking out for that stuff at the moment.
I'm doing this project on a tight buget. Spent too much building my vtec mini so i'm doing this on the cheap. I hope to start work on it in the next 3 to 4 wks. Have to collect the 2 cars over the next couple of wkends. I'll post pics all the way through.

Just a couple of pic's before I start. Collected both cars. Busy with work at the moment so wkend after next hope to start striping the cars.

Attachments

• micra.jpg
    micra.jpg
    446 KB · Views: 631
  • primera.jpg
    primera.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 510
P3270102.jpg

P3270101.jpg

Step 1 complete
Hi all had a lovely relaxing Sunday as you can see. Primera now dead. Just need to finish striping the wiring from the car. The plan is to cut the engine body mounts from the primera and fit them to the micra. The front + rear mounts and subframe I'll have to fabricate I'd say.

finally someone with a bit of drive on here! good luck with it mate. as long as your handy with metal fab and welding this should be an absolute piece of p*ss ;)

can you not mount the crossmeber from the primera that way it gives you the frount and back mounts
this is the same method i used on the k11 1.6 and my new project :wasntme:
i wouldnt bother taking all the primera mounts just use a k11 mounts for the right and left mounts because if you use the primera mount on the engine side it wll push the engine over too much resulting in the gearbox hitting the chassis unless you drop the whole engine

That's a P11 not a P10 so it'll be EFI not carbed, are you going to turn it into a carbed one or wire up the ECU etc?

Looking forward to seeing how this project progresses! :)

James.

Sorry yeah its a P11 I hadn't seen the car till I collected it. I was told it was a p10. I'm keeping the fuel injection ecu, I'll just strip the loom back to just what i need. I'm not sure about the subframe i hope that I can make it fit would make life easier for me. As for the body mounts i don't think it'll push engine over too much. But when I get the micra striped and put the engine in place i'll know more. I'll finish the primera off this wk, i'm off to the Nurburgring this wkend so I'm looking at the following wkend before i get to do anymore. I have vented k11 discs and caliper's from an import. So I've nearly all the parts i need, suspension is the next big thing.

March K11 discs and calipers, nice, someone's been doing their homework! ;)

Keep us up to date and good luck at the 'ring!! :)

ha ha!:grinning: yeah the search is great here. One stop micra info.

I must be a sick man home from work late and 10pm decided to finish taking the loom from the primera. Micra's is there a cure?
2hrs and a few knuckles later its out. I thought I learned my lesson on my mini project. I HATE wiring anyway its out now wont look at it again for a while till engine is mounted.

I'm living in Clare, too far for you Baz?

Not done much over the last few days cut the mounts off the primera and took the fuel tank out was thinking of using the primera fuel pump but looking at it too much hassle, I bought a fuel pump for a calibra instead.

So plan is next week roll micra in and strip it out.
I'm off to the nurburgring in the morning to get inspired for the rest of the build.

I didn't to anything on the micra yesterday but 2hrs tonight got alot done. Hopefully will get engine mounted this wkend.

Attachments

• ST830495.jpg
    ST830495.jpg
    759.9 KB · Views: 698
  • ST830496.jpg
    ST830496.jpg
    882.7 KB · Views: 673
  • ST830498.jpg
    ST830498.jpg
    674.5 KB · Views: 673
looks like you have rust behind your wiper motor like i did. I've spent the last two weeks cleaning and treating the engine bay to get rid of the small rust patches (like behind the wiper motor). Hopefully worth it in the the end :)

engines too low down mate, lol joking, looking good mate hopefully things will start moving forward real fast soon.

Sorry its been a while just a quick update I'll post some pics tomorrow. Been nusy with work so haven't had time. Mocked up engine mounts yesterday just have to make gearbox mount now. have it all measured just to make. Drive and gearlikage then and thats the mechanicals taken care of. Make it run afterthat. Wires hate wires but cross that bridge when i get there.

pics as promised
engines in, gear linkage and drives mocked up. Just making it run now might start on that on monday.

Attachments

• rearmount2.jpg
    rearmount2.jpg
    708.4 KB · Views: 692
  • rearmount.jpg
    rearmount.jpg
    759.9 KB · Views: 715
  • gearboxmount.jpg
    gearboxmount.jpg
    741.2 KB · Views: 688
  • enginemount.jpg
    enginemount.jpg
    641.4 KB · Views: 669
  • engine in.jpg
    engine in.jpg
    859.5 KB · Views: 992
I'm using a 2.0 calibra pump. I used same on my vtec mini it's gravity fed and handy to fit anywhere under the car. I'll post pics when its fitted.

Looks like its gonna be one crazy K10!

If this works maybe i'll sell the starbo and pay you to put a vtec in a super s!

Ok all update time.
Started on the wiring today spent all day at it and eventually got a spark. I was lucky enough to borrow a friends laptop with his nissan diagnostic software. Which without I would still be in the garage.
I didn't get it running as when I started to fit a the fuel pump I found the tank had a hole in it ahhhh don't know when it got punctured but its a problem. But I have a spark so i'm confitend it'll run.
Next step get tank fixed and fit fuel pump. Then its cut the loom back to just whats needed and join K10 wiring in. I was hoping to have it running today but still I made progress.
I should have drives back this wk aswell so i'm getting there.

Attachments

• IMAGE_085.jpg
    IMAGE_085.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 572
  • IMAGE_083.jpg
    IMAGE_083.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 589
Tank repaired, still sorting wiring, almost sorted have removed nats and dignostic socket from the loom only a few more wires to isolate. Getting there but its slow not helped by me being colour blind, hate wires.

I haven't had much spare time of late but have some days off coming up end of the month so going to make a big push then.

In answer to your question Nex I'm not getting the drives custom made.
I'm getting an engineering company to join the micra and primera shafts.
Drilling them and pressing in an interference fit dowel before welding. They'll be very solid and if the weld fails they shouldn't sepatate due to the dowel thats the theory anyway.

Bob what is the Dizzy you have from? a carbed model?
I don't want to go down the carb route but always good to keep my options open.

Attachments

• wires ahhhh.jpg
    wires ahhhh.jpg
    842.5 KB · Views: 515
  • nats.jpg
    nats.jpg
    671.9 KB · Views: 534
  • repaired tank.jpg
    repaired tank.jpg
    478.4 KB · Views: 528
Ahh cool. Always wondered if you could join them!

Why not carbs? That's the way I'm goin. Save all this Loom business!

excellent progress mate! its about time some k10 owners on here actually did things! nice to see your leading the charge! :D

Thanks for the kind words Speedle.

Nex in response to your question in me wanting to keep the injection system. If I decided to go further with the car that is more tuning such as turbo or supercharger i'll need fuel injection. I've gotten the micra bug again so i'm thinking I probably will sometime in the future, make the car what i wanted it to be when I passed my test in one back in the early 90's (showing my age now).

I'd like to have it as quick if not quicker then my vtec mini, I know it'll never have the handling of the mini but nothing will. Anyway enough of me waffling on I should be in the garage doing some work.

I refitted fuel tank tonight, pulled engine and box back out and finished welding on the mount. I tried to putting in patch piece but all i did was blow holes. But tacked in for now make it look pretty later. fillers and paint will hide alot.

Attachments

• Image009.jpg
    Image009.jpg
    643.8 KB · Views: 549
  • Image010.jpg
    Image010.jpg
    493.6 KB · Views: 662
  • Image011.jpg
    Image011.jpg
    685.4 KB · Views: 600
I decided to investigate the rust behind the wiper motor turned out to be very bad, big rust hole that needed to be patched. As you can see from the pic my patchwork pretty poor but it'll mostly be hidden with the motor.
I got distracted from filling and sanding and made a rear strut brace painted with some of the paint I got for the engine bay. I have to say I'm pleased with it.

Attachments

• rear strutbrace.jpg
    rear strutbrace.jpg
    649.9 KB · Views: 518
  • wipermotor mount.jpg
    wipermotor mount.jpg
    620.6 KB · Views: 513
Its late I'm tired but had a very productive evening. Engine is back in for good this time I hope. Have heater pipes sorted, fitted new throttle cable, modified the primera cable. I also mocked up radiator brackets so that is almost ready to fit. Positioning the fuel pump has been issue haven't found a place i'm happy with, thats next task to sort. I can see an end in sight hope to have it running at least if not a test drive by end of next week.

My plan to be running and test drive by the end of the week are shot, Reasons being engine has to come back out as I forgot I have to put in a new clutch how could I forget something so big. I'm mad with myself. Thats not the reason for not test driving. The guy I'm getting to join drives has gone on 2wks holidays and neglected to tell me. He'll be back next wk so have to wait till then to collect them.
On the good news side before I took engine out today I put together the exhaust out of micra and primera ones. Finished fitting radiator and I've also mocked up bracket for fuel pump. I'll put clutch in tomorrow and see how much I get back together. Then i'm taking a break till next wk.

Back