• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

k10 Ga16 project

No plans to do any bodywork only planning on washing it to be honest. Want it to be as honest looking as possible. Don't want it attracting any attention. I was planning to put on 14' steel wheels with a plane jane set of wheel trims.
But If anyone has any suggestions please feel free to pass them on. My mind may be changed. My budget for this project has been blown so why stop now.

haha good stuff, well imo i think after puttin a 1.6 into a k10 it deserves to stand out from the crowd, i would lower it with a nice set of deep dish steelies Banded steels even :) and of course an exhaust hehe

interesting project. good so far. I have a similar project in the making. will post pics when completed. let me know abt the suspension. that is my main concern. cheers mate!!!

Sorry for not posting any updates for a while but been busy with work commitments and also haven't been well and been taking things easy.

That said made some progress over the weekend. I have fitted the Spax coilovers which I got from Matt Humphris which are great. Fitted the new drives, changed front wishbones and ball joints while I was at it. Thanks to rear links from Baz I sorted the rest of the rear suspension with rear anti-roll bar. Also fuel tank and electric pump from an ST (thanks to Baz again for that). So for the 1st time in months its back on all four wheels. Only thing left now is to get it running. Won't be long now hope to have the last of the wiring sorted by the end of the week. I'm depending on a friend to help me with this as my colour-blindness makes identifying wires very difficult. I'll get pics of suspension up and hopefully have more news for the weekend.

Looks great and really good fabrication on the mounts! I think you should put some wide-ish (7s?) x 14 steels (for grip) but put wheel trims on to try and hide some of the wideness, then slightly lower for better handling but not too much that people notice :D

Put a beaded seat cover in and a cushion on the back seat and ultimate sleeper! :D

Very interesting swap; so much so that I started doing the same swap. My issue was with the mounts because the passenger side bracket where the gearbox will be mounted is such a tight fit. I am using a GA16DE from a 1993 B13 Sentra.

Hey i am planning to do the same project and now i am collecting informations and money :D

Can you pls tell me what hubs did you use? Was driveshaft mounting etc. p&p oraz bit difficult?

Hi all sorry for no updates lately but I was extremely busy with work then the weather kept me out of the Garage, too cold!! January I was in Austrailia for the month so no work done. I got back last wk and haven't got myself motivated. Theres not much left to do, just finishing wiring it. Its the bit I hate, I'll draw up diagram properly and post it, and you can all see the nightmare i'm having. I'll put up some pics this wk and a video when it's running.

I've got some BIG news, It runs !!!!
got it running tonight after a lots of wiring issues, mainly due to me not following my own wiring diagram. Then a fuel problem i.e. not enough in the tank I'm tired what can I say.
all the new wiring is sitting on the passenger seat so needs to be fitted to suit the micra. I have to say i'm so happy to finally get it running wiring has been the single biggest issue mechanically fitting engine no problem. So just need to finish the little bits now.
Things left to do,
tidy and make new loom fit the car
wire fan, oil temp and reverse light switch
wire altenator
bleed brakes,
finish exhaust.

Right guys wirning continues to be an issue, sent 4hrs mounting fuse box relays etc and trimming/extending wiring to suit. Trying to make it look as standard and factory as possible. The little things take so long.

Alot done today. Wiring finally sorted today all except the fan, I've miss-placed the plug for the primera fan so that stopped finishing that. I cut it off the primera loom a few weeks ago and put it somewhere safe so safe I can find it now. I mounted and power-steering reservoir and ran pipes to pump. Fitted exhaust need a new back box but did a patch on it just for a test drive. I still need to bleed the brakes was going to do that tonight but when I took a look at the pads they need replacing so I'll pick up a set tomorrow do brakes then. Still a few little things need tidying but once I do the brakes I'm ready for test drive. So maybe a short run Tuesday night. So close now.

Alot done today. Wiring finally sorted today all except the fan, I've miss-placed the plug for the primera fan so that stopped finishing that. I cut it off the primera loom a few weeks ago and put it somewhere safe so safe I can find it now. I mounted and power-steering reservoir and ran pipes to pump. Fitted exhaust need a new back box but did a patch on it just for a test drive. I still need to bleed the brakes was going to do that tonight but when I took a look at the pads they need replacing so I'll pick up a set tomorrow do brakes then. Still a few little things need tidying but once I do the brakes I'm ready for test drive. So maybe a short run Tuesday night. So close now.

sounds good any recent pics? let us know how the test drive goes.

oh even i can taste it! sooo close! you know your gonna be going to bed with a smile stuck to your face right?
keep us posted!
(Y)

1st Drive

Well where do I start? Right start with the good points, it drives stops and got all gears easily.
Bad points not getting full throttle due to cable but is easy fix. Just as well I didn't have full trottle as the original 13" wheels and re-mould tyres I got with the car it didn't like corners and wet road. So new wheels and good tyres that'll sort that. The biggest problem I found is a vibration which I tracked down to engine mount on the gearbox that I made. I had been meaning to put a poly bush into it but def will have to now. Thats 1st Job on the list.
Its has been a big night for the project. I have mixed emotions about it.

Its often a bit of an anti-climax when you approach the end of a project like this, its the little things like your mount and suspension that will turn it into a great conversion, if you persevere with all the small crappy jobs I'm sure the end result will be 100% worth it!

Watching with interest :)

Pics as promised

Attachments

• micra 1703102.jpg
    micra 1703102.jpg
    466.6 KB · Views: 565
  • enginebay2.jpg
    enginebay2.jpg
    423.3 KB · Views: 575
  • loom and fuesbox2.jpg
    loom and fuesbox2.jpg
    378.4 KB · Views: 605
Well need to sort the final little issues get it set up etc before I think about looking for more power. If anything I think a diff would be a wiser choice.

Ok sorted throttle cable tonight a spacer to take up the slack was all that was required. Wheels, heading to breakers in the morning hopefully pick up some 14'' steelies. As for the gearbox mount well the liquid polyurethane arrived today. So its going to be an interesting weekend with that, moulding new poly bushes.

Had fun over the weekend making poly bushing for gearbox mount. It needed a few days to cure, fitted it tonight it and have to admit it amazing stuff works great. The one piece of advice I have is make sure you tape/mask up 100% cos you only get one shot at it once the liquid is mixed and if it starts leaking on you will make a mess.

Attachments

• flexane.jpg
    flexane.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 444
  • mount1.jpg
    mount1.jpg
    497 KB · Views: 401
  • mount2.jpg
    mount2.jpg
    376.5 KB · Views: 479
where you get that stuff from? how much is it?

i wasnt aware of the stuff you used so i used tigerseal, i think it has had the same effect but obviously cant compare.

I got it from suppllier local to me devcon themselves have a factory distribution centre near me but google it they have suppliers all over uk. It costs about £50 the 500g pack I got would be enough to make at least 4 bushes.

Got to say, I love thee just do it attitude of your project!!

Whats It like now you have the full throttle working, I bet it shifts a bit compared to the standard K10 :D

Thanks Ceirwan, I'm a fan for the just do it/ make it work or why not Philosophy. I haven't driven since i fixed the mount and throttle etc as I need to change wheels and tyres. I got a set of 14" from breakers last weekend but haven't had a chance to get rubber fitted. Plan on taking it out tonight or tomorrow. So I'll let you know.

With regard to my age Superls lets just say I'm past thirty. Insurance isn't a problem as I have a motors traders policy and covers me to drive anything.

Test Drive 2

Fitted 185's to the 14's and soften'd the shocks as much as I could. The car is pulling to the right very badly. Didn't really push it too much because of that but it didn't feel as quick as I hoped. I am compairing it to my vtec mini so.
Going to get it tracked in the morning and see where I stand then. So improvement since the first test drive but more to do. Will keep you posted.

Sounds like your making good progress!

Even so, you shouldn't be suprised at the speed difference... I imagine the mini is lighter than the K10, plus a B16A is 150hp, compared to the GA16's 103hp...
Take it out and put a VTEC in :D

Believe me I thought about putting in a vtec, wanted to stay in the nissan family.

Mini and the K10 are actually about the same weight standard. My mini's weight is 800kg's due to roll cage etc. I checked it at a local weighbridge. So I only have the extra weight of the g16 engine in the micra. So it should be lighter. Won't make up for the 50 hp less but still I felt it should be quicker. I haven't had a chance to get the car tracked yet hopefully saturday morn, I'll spend alittle time on it. Finish some of the little things.

i attempted one of these conversions about 3 years ago and put all the pics up on here but when the website had a revamp i couldn't find them anywere,,,i no were the car is,,i sold it to a lad and he never touched it and it still sits in the dry in a barn,today,if i get the time i could Finnish it off,
Picture479.jpg

Sorry haven't updated in so long. where to start, I got the tracking done. it was way out. Car drives better now but i'm still not happy. Still needs work in the set up. As the car has been off the road for a while I've had to re apply for log book and its taking time so haven't been able to drive the car (legally) even though its back together and finished now.

What mods to the suspension have you made exactly?

I had a look through your thread but could only find reference to shocks and springs.

Personally though i think you maybe fighting a losing battle with the weight of the ga16 engine and box.

Iam worried what fitting a 1300cc 16v into my 1000cc k10 will do. I have k11 front and rear anti rollbars and cut springs and i dont get any understeer or oversteer. Iam about to upgrade to k11 hubs, brakes, lower arms with the p bushes and i will also fit mk2 golf coilovers when the arrive.

Kev

What mods to the suspension have you made exactly?

I had a look through your thread but could only find reference to shocks and springs.

Personally though i think you maybe fighting a losing battle with the weight of the ga16 engine and box.

Iam worried what fitting a 1300cc 16v into my 1000cc k10 will do. I have k11 front and rear anti rollbars and cut springs and i dont get any understeer or oversteer. Iam about to upgrade to k11 hubs, brakes, lower arms with the p bushes and i will also fit mk2 golf coilovers when the arrive.

Kev

Hi Kev,
I fitted spax coilovers allround have rear anti-rollbar. front is k11 hubs and brakes haven't fitted front anti-rollbar but feel it needs it. As for the weight issue well there has been plently of small hatches with big engines that handle 205 gti, 20ltr clio etc Its just a matter of set up. I really feel the car will need an LSD. But need to get it on a track to start playing with it.

Back