K10 for first car, good choice?

J

JTunerTim

I think so! :D

lol but seriousely, i have no car knowledge at the moment, but i will soon (this starting school year) as im training to be a mechanic, im going to take a 2 year diploma at a college called sparsholts if anyone is familiar with that?
Anyway, my main question is im hopefully starting to drive this winter, ive practiced quite abit on private land etc im pretty confident about it so hopefully il get my license,
ANYWAY... lol, what do you guys think of a 1.0l K10 for my first car, what stuff usually goes wrong on them and whats there to look out for? I wont be doing any mods or anything on it at first, and maybe not for a while but obviousely il get a nice sound setup in there but not a huge annoying bass thumping chav style one (no offence to anyone to has these, im just using it so people no where im coming from).
So any help from you guys would be great. Ive seen a couple of the Micras on this site and they look bloody superb, great job!

hey, like the sound of you already.

Erm K10's are fantastic(ly bad) cars and would be superb (probably not) first car. I love them and I'm on my 5th/6th or so. They are fairly simple but should allow you to learn the basics of mechanics (not electronic technical stuff modern cars are all about), they tend to either have strong or weak engines, they don't often last more than 60-100K miles if they've been driven hard, 1litres are more robust than the 1.2's apparently. The bodies are usually sound or if not looked after suffer from rust in all the usual places (arches, sills, bulkhead top, door bottoms and window edges). If you drop on a lowish milage one your onto a winner, high-milage ones tend to be a bit wobbly, it's worth renewing suspension bits, get the engine serviced (if it's burning much oil your piston rings will want doing not that many people bother, they just replace the car/engine)....

But anyway, good luck with it all, there are people on here that know more about them (thank goodness for that, huh?). Let us all know how you get on finding one.

Pete

PS - If you buy one from an old person and it refuses to go over 40 don't worry it will eventually, they just get used to going slow.

That was an excellent post, well helpful cheers.

Were you bein serious in your first sentence in the brackets? lol sorry i dont really get that... i hope you werent! o_O
And ive got my eye on this micra with 30 something K miles on the clock, 91 i think, practicly mint. And is very, very rarely driven, but im not sure if i can buy it... :( aparently his daughter is using it atm (and its his mothers who is like 80 something lol)
Yeah hopefully i will be able to do most of the work on it myself if something goes wrong, well, il really try to anyway.
Thanks for the quick reply.

Tim

bad car in that they've got little to no street cred apart from in some areas (some lads stopped me the other day and wanted to buy it), they understeer like owt (you can feel it coming a mile off and can compensate for it eventually), the body is flimsy (jack one up and open the door, see how hard it is to close) and the engine's are becoming a bit archeic, but I love them, they are fantastic.

As for a first car, they can be driven in two ways, either slowly and sedately or they do have a tendancy to bring out the holigan in you. I've been driving for 5/6 years now and I'm still surprised at how I act when I'm behind the wheel of that little car, especially as i'm a copper and I can get my speed fix on my m/bike.

Ah right, thanks for those pointers. Im not really too bothered about looking cool atm cause i mean, its your first car and im probably gonna have a few scrapes so... meh, i reckon there pretty cool cars. Shame about the understeer tho but nevermind. And lol @ ur last comment. :k12cop: :laugh:

My micra is my first car, and Pete is right, not really that trendy, but ive got the respect of my friends (I think) who all seem to like it, and thats all I need. :glance:

As for driving it, the steerings a bit heavy for the turns in the road etc, but your a guy, so its no problem. They need to be revved lots before they go fast, which often feels a bit rebellious, but im sure most small engines are like this. Mines pretty high mileage and I dont treat it right so it burns oil. Meh. :sleepy:

Repairs are really easy and I find myself taking stuff apart for fun, which is cool because you can have the confidence of knowing you can't screw up any electronic gismo which you then find out is £300 from the car-man-who-says-its-gone-wrong.

What else can I say.... dont bother with mods, unless you copy Arnold. And, what else... errr yeah dont mess with heavy braking on fast wet dodgy roads. No ABS means you slide a loooong way.

Mike.

Edit: Yeah understeer... mmm well eventually it will oversteer but you need to go quite fast. I don't recommend this. Really. Dont do it.

i have still got my k10 1.0 ls it was my first car and i would not trade it in 4 any other car in the world i have had it for 5 years and still going strong the only problem i have got is the gearbox is week i am on my 3rd box and that playing i think they dont like me at all but the engine is strong allways it is a good car and i only broke down once and that was due 2 a clutch problem smashed and that was it

Hi...by the way im not really a k10 man but what MA12 said about jacking the car up and opening the door gets tighter....this is a common thing i work in a garage with 2 post ramps and nearly every car has to have some Bend in them or else when they hit a pot hole they will basicly snap :D so no worrys there...Today we had a Isuzu pickup on the ramp (big long vehicle) and when i sent it up you could see the bend in the middle even tho ur jackin it up on the correct Points :D

For the ABS....having it in the summer time is great but you get a new car with ABS driving down the road and it hits black ice....one wheel starts slipping....and the other is spinning...the ABS just automaticly puts all your brakes on...(Great sliding down the hill in ur brand new...LandRover Disco with all wheels locked up)....So sometimes its best not to have ABS :D

Turtle said:
My micra is my first car, and Pete is right, not really that trendy, but ive got the respect of my friends (I think) who all seem to like it, and thats all I need. :glance:

Repairs are really easy and I find myself taking stuff apart for fun, which is cool because you can have the confidence of knowing you can't screw up any electronic gismo which you then find out is £300 from the car-man-who-says-its-gone-wrong.

rofl at that, thanks alot for everyones posts.
I dont really care very much atm wether i look cool in it or not i mean its a car thats all that matters to me at first, but hopefully next year once i got abit more experience on the road (less likely to smash it up!) maybe get a Civic VTEC or something im not quite sure yet. All depends on insurance costs really.

Thanks alot guys! Youve been pretty helpful so far :)

K10 from a first car DIY point of view are absoutely spot on. You will never find another car that is so mechanic friendly. MA12 is right about what he says with condition etc. They are for the most part getting old now, but there are some gems out there. They are perhaps one of the cheapest cars to run. They are fun to drive and superbly predictive. People often talk about understeer, but to be honest its no where nearly as bad as its made out (drive another FWD car same era- or newer!), as they dont have the power to be so bad. Its quite possible to make them way oversteer as well...

Yeah I don't think the understeer is as bad as people make out... maybe the rear ARB makes it understeer more(?) because mine doesn't have this.

Understeer is just a basic trait of FWD anyway.

But back on topic, people say on here that the engines/gearboxes are weak. Well... maybe mines going to die imminently, but my engine has been pretty robust, and from the sound of things so is Arnolds!!

The engines are TOUGH. The 1.0s are almost impossible to break unless cam belt failure. Its just they tend to burn oil after 80K or so. New rings solve this and they will then quite happily do another 80K or so.

These replies are awesome, thanks alot. Making me wanna get a car soo bad lol i cant wait. :D
Definatly gonna get a micra 1l now. glad to hear such good things about them!

edit:

forgot to ask, is it possible to change the rings yourself? or is a real mechanical job?

Anything is possible to do yourself, but it really is an involved job. Idealy youll need to remove the engine, head dismantle the bottom end to undo the conrods, then remove the pistons, may as well re-hone (you can look that up 'honing') the block and the fit the new rings. Its essentially part of the process of an engine rebuild.

My first car (K10) was the dogs... Still driving now and again, my mates got it now. Loved it, but the K11 is defently more fun IMO.

Turtle said:
but my engine has been pretty robust, and from the sound of things so is Arnolds!!

You're really not wrong there. This thing's been ragged to hell and back & it's absolutly perfect!! No smoke, or other issues - its currently on 106K. A regular service and she's hard as nails

Also, with a few simple upgrades, you will not encounter these understeer issues at all.

Turtle said:
Edit: Yeah understeer... mmm well eventually it will oversteer but you need to go quite fast. I don't recommend this. Really. Dont do it.

LOL!

D4R73N said:
My first car (K10) was the dogs... Still driving now and again, my mates got it now. Loved it, but the K11 is defently more fun IMO.

Lol cool, but imo i reckon the K10 is much better looking than the K11.
And the K12.... Ehhhh :sick:

try and get a 1.2 k10 imo it is worth the extra insurance or if all else fails make sure its a 4speed although i think most were because my 1.0l k10 (my first now on No.2) was a 4 speed and 2nd gear is an animal!! its got a long range for second although i used to rev the peanuts off it! and as for are k10s any good i went from a k10 1.0l to a ford fiesta 1.1 same age and it was awful then went back to a k10 but a 1.2!

K10 is my first car and its a joy, though i have had some hair raising moments in the rain with the back end out. Mine is the 4sp 1.0l and its pretty swift for a 1l and as many have said its so simple to DIY on this car you can improve its appearance by miles for peanuts

Sum great posts, bet this lads luvving the idea of 1 now.
Rite 5th week after passing me test, and my first car is.. a k10 1.2. And man it is the most fun car EVER!

Street cred, well first off its real low, specially wiv your mates, thats until they sit in it, and race against it. Sure its not the pretty'est but stock its prettyer than the other micras. so original.

And mate if you dont get it, dont worry but you will miss out on one of the best first cars you could possibly have.

Bit ott but thats how i feel, dunno bout the rest of you guys?
Hope it helps Buddy :grinning:

Arnold said:
No smoke, or other issues - its currently on 106K. A regular service and she's hard as nails

James said when he followed you he occasionally saw puffs of blue smoke....

Arnold said:
You're really not wrong there. This thing's been ragged to hell and back & it's absolutly perfect!! No smoke, or other issues - its currently on 106K. A regular service and she's hard as nails

Also, with a few simple upgrades, you will not encounter these understeer issues at all.

What about the fuel it spits out and puddles in the tailpipe?

Ed said:
James said when he followed you he occasionally saw puffs of blue smoke....

I dont even remember the last time he followed me! Must have been ages back, but she's still ok - anyway, the life of this engine doesnt really matter anymore!!

Littleleigh said:
Sum great posts, bet this lads luvving the idea of 1 now.
Rite 5th week after passing me test, and my first car is.. a k10 1.2. And man it is the most fun car EVER!

Street cred, well first off its real low, specially wiv your mates, thats until they sit in it, and race against it. Sure its not the pretty'est but stock its prettyer than the other micras. so original.

And mate if you dont get it, dont worry but you will miss out on one of the best first cars you could possibly have.

Bit ott but thats how i feel, dunno bout the rest of you guys?
Hope it helps Buddy :grinning:

lol i sure am, thanks this was a grwat post, i think i will go for the 1.2 over the 1l, or if i find a 1l with the good mileage then obviousely i will go for that. i cant wait.

any of you guys know howto apply formy privisional license before im 17? i tried through the dvla website but it said im only legible for a moped license? :glare:

JTunerTim said:
lol i sure am, thanks this was a grwat post, i think i will go for the 1.2 over the 1l, or if i find a 1l with the good mileage then obviousely i will go for that. i cant wait.

any of you guys know howto apply formy privisional license before im 17? i tried through the dvla website but it said im only legible for a moped license? :glare:

Get a driving licence form from the post office!

MA12:) said:
He can send it off, it just doesn't become a provisional car licence until his 17th birthday.

I thought that was the case which is why i put my original reply, just Ems made me doubt myself for a second!

MA12:) said:
He can send it off, it just doesn't become a provisional car licence until his 17th birthday.

Whats the point in that lol, u may as well till a week b4!!!!

How long have u got till your 17th JTunerTim?!!

I got my provisional when I was 16 so I could get 'me ped', just happened to turn into a car provisional when I turned 17 hehe

God I feel old, I'm 23 soon.

Wow, these are some damn helpful replys about the license. thanks guys!
my birthday is on the 20th of november. i know i know its a long way away, but god damn im excited... lol, and want to have my first lessons either on my birthday or the day after, asap basically, so it would help to have this provisional license asap too.
So i can get the provisional license online like i was going to originally, (cause it just said i was entitled to a ped license only) and when im 17 it will auto change into a car one too? I want to be sure cus its £38, a rip imo... o_O

Your best bet is ringing them up to see if that auto change thing happens, or to wait until november and fill it in then :)

iirc there is a box you tick for 'with motorcycle' if you don't tick it you don't get the motorcycle provisional bit but you automatically get the car bit. The licence itself doesn't change, on the back it'll just say the 'valid from' bit for the car entitlement will begin nov20 2006 - nov 2016 etc...

I chose a K10 as my first car partly as it was the only car my maniac-driver mate couldnt kill. He drives a white van as a day-job and has no patience whatsoever, so you can imagine how a 1 litre micra gets treated. Its completely unmodified (was given to him by an old lady next door) but he claimed to get 100 out of it on the flat with 4 people in it, and says it would cruise (not sure thats the right word!!) at 80 for miles on the motorway. All his previous cars bit the dust spectacularly within a few months, so I was impressed with the Micra that survived for 5 years before rust got it!

Havent had mine long but so far its been reliable and very nippy, was ok at 70 on the motorway. Do feel rather vulnerable in it due to its light build, but the all-round visibility is brilliant, way better than anything else I've driven, so maybe there is less chance of having an accident in the first place.

And if youre looking for cheap insurance try Quinn-Direct.co.uk. Mine is only £250 per year, about half what anyone else charges!

Back