K10 exhaust front pipe

dg_unit

Club Member (Trial)
So yesterday I thought, "let's see how loud I can make this broken exhaust sound while I go through a tunnel". One change-down later and I managed to blow the front pipe into two pieces. It now sounds like a half track tank.

Then I went online to make a simple purchase of a new front pipe but I've come across three different choices and have no idea which one to get. My K10 is a 1.0L from 1987. Some seem to have two silencers on the front pipe, others just one. Some appear to have a gasket or some kind of mounting plate before the middle silencer, others don't. Also I'm not sure if there are any rules and regulations I've got to be careful of to make sure it passes its MOT next time round. Below are the choices. Thanks for your help.

Choice 1 Choice 2 Choice 3 Choice 4

my exhaust is the same as Choice 2 if thats any help.... i have a 1988 1L ls

I should know i spent hours under there trying to sort out my rattle :p, i had to cut out that first mid box, its called a resonator its a high flow muffler basicly

Thanks JapoGeorge. That is interesting as choice 4 is not only the cheapest but does not have the resonator. I was hoping that it was something that the MOT people wouldn't mind being missing on my car. What effect has it had not having the resonator on your K10?

Taking the resonator increased the engine noise a little... not much but noticeable, the only reason i removed it was to stop an annoying rattle as something inside had broken, As for yours im not sure, i know for a fact Option 2 ONLY would fit mine as it needs that bracket between the resonator and the mid box

Well there are just only 2 types of exhaust for a K10 (front part) one for a regualr engine and one for a DX engine (thats one with an egr valve, you can spot that direct if you see a metal tube starting from you exhaust goes over the top of the engine and ends at the inlet manifold). The 4 choises you let me see are all of the regular K10 the DX engine is the connecting part at the outlet manifold much lower then one from a regular one

Hope this helps ;)

So it fitted? Nice so did you not need the middle bracket?

Yep it fits. The old bracket was still in decent condition so re-used that. No problems with the fit anywhere. The place where I got it said that some of the front pipes are different for automatics and for facelift models. I'm guessing that might be because of different oil sump shapes as the exhaust goes pretty close to it.

Ok so further to the above... when I first put the new front pipe on I threaded one of the already badly corroded bolts that go into the exhaust manifold. Today when trying to fit it I managed to snap off the other bolt. I'm thinking I'll need to make a trip to a scrap yard to get a new exhaust manifold as the bolts are unlikely to come out without a fight. Does anyone have any advice on if this is the best approach as it will require trying to get a probably rusty manifold off a scrapped car and I will need to buy a new gasket(s)? I'm hoping there is some magic way of getting those bolts out so I can just go to the scrappies and get a couple of new bolts.

Thanks. and here is a link of a photo of a K10 manifold where you can see the bolts sticking out (just so you can visualise what I'm talking about).

Ok so further to the above... when I first put the new front pipe on I threaded one of the already badly corroded bolts that go into the exhaust manifold. Today when trying to fit it I managed to snap off the other bolt. I'm thinking I'll need to make a trip to a scrap yard to get a new exhaust manifold as the bolts are unlikely to come out without a fight. Does anyone have any advice on if this is the best approach as it will require trying to get a probably rusty manifold off a scrapped car and I will need to buy a new gasket(s)? I'm hoping there is some magic way of getting those bolts out so I can just go to the scrappies and get a couple of new bolts.

Thanks. and here is a link of a photo of a K10 manifold where you can see the bolts sticking out (just so you can visualise what I'm talking about).

Try getting two nuts on there if theres enough room and tighten them up to each other so if you got a spanner it would undo, then get a blowtorch/welding torch and heat it till it glows red and hit the spanner with a hammer lol, if not try wraping it up in a plastik bag and putting it in the freezer over night, take it out and cover it in wd40 that might do it lol

Studs are always a pain to get out...

i know this may be well finished, but on the same note i broke a stud on the exhaust manifold where the front pipe is fixed , and after getting it out i used 8mm threaded bar (stainless steel of high tensile strength, saved getting another stud (couldnt find one without buying a manifold anyways), only thing to watch for is make sure the threaded bar is of high tensile strenght to prevent the same thing happening again, and go for stainless steel threaded bar over mild steel,
just said id add this in because studs can be hard to get i found , so might save somebody buying a whole exhaust manifold just because of a stud.

Back