K10 Drive shafts?

16vFig

Ex. Club Member
Hi all

Can anyone give me any advice on K10 drive shafts?
I've fitted a K10 5-speed to my wife's Figaro thinking the Figaro drive shafts were the same. Unfortunately they're not the same as they have the larger spline diameter at the gear box end (same as K11 CG13 out of interest) so won't fit the manual box.

I've just spoken to a scrappy who has a few sets of K10 drive shafts but he says there are two different types. Can anyone tell me how to identify them and which ones I'd need to match my 5-speed box, which came out of a 1989 1.2 K10.

Cheers!

iirc the early k10 hub splines were different, and the 1.3 k11 shafts have very different inner splines to the k10 ones, so a hybrid shaft would be a mission to assemble :eek:

Attachments

• PICT0006.JPG
    PICT0006.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 442
Hi Frank, thanks for the reply!

Is that a K10 on the left and a CG13 on the right?
In any case I won't need a hybrid shaft as I'm not using the CG13 box. I'm using a K10 box out of a 1.2 so I need K10 at both ends.
The problem is the scrappy is telling me there are two different K10 types?
I'm wondering now whether the 1.0 and 1.2 had slightly different shafts, or maybe the difference is between 4-speed and 5-speed cars?

Any idea???

i think it was a spline change after a certain date mate (like the timing belt change)
and yes, the left one is a k10/pre-face 1.0 k11 smaller shaft

i think your main issue is the auto and manual driveshafts are different, all k10 manual driveshafts were the same, with the exception of the ST.

As superls says; there are only three types of k10 drive shaft, manual, automatic and super turbo. If you have converted from auto to manual then you'll need manual shafts. In the unlikely even that they didn't fit you can always take em back. No problem.

This can't be true. There are 3 different for the K10 + one for the ST. I wanted to change my driveshaft, and my nissan dealer told me that the one I bought (facelift manual micra) will not fit into my prefacelift manual micra. He told me that there are 3 different ones. And I believe him, he knows what he is talking about.
This morning I wanted to answer the same as superls and porkpie700 until this afternoon :D

This can't be true. There are 3 different for the K10 + one for the ST. I wanted to change my driveshaft, and my nissan dealer told me that the one I bought (facelift manual micra) will not fit into my prefacelift manual micra. He told me that there are 3 different ones. And I believe him, he knows what he is talking about.
This morning I wanted to answer the same as superls and porkpie700 until this afternoon :D

yes, i,m sure i read a thread on here that the hub spline is different after a certain year

I would assume that if there were a third kind that it would be for the 12inch wheel versions with the smaller hubs. Unless of course it applies to the non-uk spec models with vented disks.

yes, i,m sure i read a thread on here that the hub spline is different after a certain year

Yes, that confirms what I've just been told-
Early K10 manual had 21 splines at the gearbox and hub.
Late K10 manual had 21 spline at the gearbox and 23 spline at the hub.
Autos had 24 splines at the gearbox and and 21 spline at the hub.

I need to double check this bit, but I'm pretty sure Figaro is 24 spline at the gearbox and 23 spline at the hub.
Not sure about STs?

So, now I've fitted a late K10 5-speed I'm hoping the late K10 drive shafts will fit with the original Figaro hubs- I'll let you know tomorrow when they arrive!

I believe that the facelift auto hubs are the same as the manual ones, as i have fitted hubs from an auto to my gs manual and everything fitted no problems. If you have a facelift k10, when you ask for parts don't say that it's a 1989 because that's when the changeover happened and they'll always try to palm you off with pre-facelift parts. Always ask for 1991 H reg, then they have no excuse for giving you the wrong stuff.

Back