K10 CG10DE non-start

Hi all,

I've spent the past few couple of months swapping a CG10DE into my K10 (the original MA10 was coming to the end of its life) - all is nearly complete except I can't seem to get it to fire up. I'm running out of ideas and could do with some help!

A little info:

Car is 1988 1.0 K10 Micra UK spec.

Engine is 1997 CG10DE originally coupled with an auto box, but now hooked up to the manual from the K10. Engine is on about 60k and was in good health when removed from car.

Engine loom and ECU from a 1994 1.3 auto (Non-NATS, ECU no. 17). I also have an ECU from a 1993 1.0 (ECU no. 10)

Everything is fused and 12v is getting to everything that needs power. All ECU earth pins are connected and show continuity to ground. ECU comes on with ignition and primes the fuel pump, as it's supposed to. Engine turns over but there is no spark and no fuel being injected.

12v reaches the injectors, but on cranking, none of the 4 injectors seems to be pulsing.

I've been back and forth and checked my wiring and the fuses to make sure all is well. I get the feeling I'm missing something really simple but I can't for the life of me figure out what to check next.

Any advice or suggestions would be very much appreciated :)

They are very similar, but it looks like they're the right way around. A good check to do, though, thanks.

I've been trying to tackle the fuel problem first. I had thought perhaps that I'd plumbed in the fuel pump backwards or inside out or something but it all looks to be getting fuel to the injectors, so we know that much.

From what I can see, 12v is reaching the injectors if I check from the live at the injector plugs to body earth, but across the terminals there doesn't seem to be any pulsing on cranking. There's good continuity from the injector plug -ve to the ECU plug, which means that either both of my ECUs are toast, or something is stopping the ECU switching to ground.

Silly question - does the case of the ECU need to be earthed? At present it's just rolling around in the footwell.

How are you providing power to your fuel pump? Is it though the CG loom or something you have wired up?

I ask as the engine loom may not think that the fuel pump is running and thus won't inject fuel

The pump is being powered off a relay controlled by the fuel pump control wire from the ECU - it seems to prime okay for the first 5 seconds or so when you turn the ignition on.

In recent news, I managed to cobble together the diagnostics wires and am getting a code 11. I can't seem to find a reasonably priced sensor/ignition module, so I've just grabbed a secondhand dizzy from a breakers to see if that yields any luck.

Fingers crossed!

It runs! It turns out that no power was reaching the cam sensor....which I suppose would throw a code. I pulled the wire for it from the loom and gave it its own feed and it started on the button.

The idle is lumpy and rubbish but all of the vac lines are disconnected at the moment so I'm not too bothered by that. Hopefully I can get it plumbed in this weekend and finish it off :)

Back