K10 cambelt change

I'm wanting to change my cambelt soon, is it usual to change just the cambelt or should you change the tensioner and waterpump as well. Also what manufacturer/supplier of the parts are good, I hear gates make good belts.

Cheers

Haybarn

its generally a good idea to change the tensioner and water pump while your in there, but not totally necessary. its just that if the tensioner fails it will take the belt with it, and if the water pump fails after you already did the belt your going to have to do the job over-again, which if you are paying someone else to do the work will cost you more than you saved not buying a pump in the first place. but if your doing the job yourself and you don't mind having to basically re-do all your labor in the event of a water pump failure you can chose to skip it.

I just changed my belt 3 weeks ago and the car is running sweet. Since the tentioner is pricey i just cleaned and greased my old one (there was nothing wrong with it). With regards to the water pump, if it is working fine then leave it that way, don't go changing parts that don't need to be changed. One of the things you should remember about k10's is that they don't like to be messed around with. If you plan to do the job yourself then make sure you have an impact/air gun to get the pulley off, the rest is easy except the bracket for then engine mount the bolts are a pig to get to.

I just changed my belt 3 weeks ago and the car is running sweet. Since the tentioner is pricey i just cleaned and greased my old one (there was nothing wrong with it). With regards to the water pump, if it is working fine then leave it that way, don't go changing parts that don't need to be changed. One of the things you should remember about k10's is that they don't like to be messed around with. If you plan to do the job yourself then make sure you have an impact/air gun to get the pulley off, the rest is easy except the bracket for then engine mount the bolts are a pig to get to.

We designed a special tool to get the pulley off. a long bar with a bolt in it to hold the pulley wheel still, and a hole to get the socket in

"except the bracket for then engine mount the bolts are a pig to get to"

agreed!

Back