K10 Break In - Arghhh!

Only just got the Micra back on the road. New fuel pump, new MOT etc and I thought all was going well......

Until I let the dog out this morning, wondered down to the bottom of the garden and popped my head over the gate. The drivers side door has been prised out at the top, the catch has been pulled and the door opened. The steering column plastics have all been ripped off and a fair amount of the ignition wires have been cut and stripped. Obviously they didn't get her going, neither did they take any of the valuables hidden away in the glove box and boot.

I reported it to the police and have been told a forensics might come out to take finger prints. Once they've gone, with any luck I should be able to get her going again with a bit of soldering and a few replaced fuses.

Has anyone else similar experiences? What extra security measures do people take to protect their k10's? They're clearly very easy cars to break into but how can I put the chavs off next time. It seems to have some sort of an old factory alarm/immobiliser system but has been unplugged at some point.

nexussteve

The reason you're happy!
Exactly the same thing happened to mine.
It's a weakness on the K10s.

Best thing to do is get one of those steering wheel locks. Especially if they're trying to joy-ride.

I'm seriously considering re-locating the inside locks to lower down the door....

Quite common with people doing this to Nova's and Cavaliers too only with Nova's ya just gotta turn the hazard switch upside down to get it going :down:

imp124

Buy & Sell Member
i got a clifford alarm and central locks on mine, not had anyone try and break in but pleanty try and set the alarm off WINK WINK!!! modded!

OP
OP
S
:D well i got the alarm going this afternoon so I know who to blame next time it goes off!

Will try and dig out the old steering wheel lock tomorrow. I'm sure I've got a central locking kit somewhere too.

OP
OP
S
Regarding unscrewing the door pins - good idea that although it means you can't lock/unlock the doors from the inside any more. Is it possible that the door/s may become locked in a crash?

Seb_

Give me some frogs.
Site Supporter
Killswitch with a simple switch hidden somewhere, or more complex like cig lighter killswitch: need the cig light plugged to start the engine, or even audio jack 3.5 killswitch: you fit a female jack somewhere on the dashboard and you need a male jack to start the engine.
Those 3 mixed on the same car can slow down or even discourage an unskilled thief.

Cheers

Seb

OP
OP
S
Hmm some good ideas here. Will do a combination of them over the next few weeks.

I'd quite like to do some sort of self defence mod too. Perhaps a saw-off shotgun mounted along side the steering column. Or some thermite in the buttock area of the drivers seat grr

Normski

Ex. Club Member
I dont know if you have an option to do so, but I say mount a small wireless battery powered camera overlooking your ride from a chosen vantage point which will record back to a hard-drive when ever it picks up movement around your car, and hopefully if the f*****s try it again you'll get them on camera and be able to get them taken to court and made to pay for the damage done to your car.

ollyc98

Ex. Club Member
I removed the nut holding the steering wheel on, then when I parked the car I'd take the wheel with me, or if you wanna do it properly get a snap off boss kit. See them steal a car with no steering wheel

H

hannibal

ive got a large needle solderd onto a 2 pence peice. i put it onto my drivers seat then i put a black cloth over the whole lot so the needle pokes out.....i lie in bed waiting for a scream....

Speedle

Ex. Club Member
had this happen to me twice now. several things you can do to help.

fit central locking and then remove the door pins. this means the reach in and pull up the door pin trick wont work. get a cheap alarm, as long as it has a flashing LED and makes a noise thats often enough to put off the chance theif. ebay £20 pays for itself IMO adn if you can get even a simple imobiliser fitted then even better it all puts off the snatch and grab theif.

and secondly an idea i had a while ago regarding the bending of the door frames. get some square steel tubing slide it up the door frame cavity and weld it in. yes it adds weight (not much mind) but it makes bending the door a hell of a lot harder if not near impossible ;)

snap off steering wheel boss's are also an excellent idea and if you plan to stick with nissans it'll fit most other nissans when you move on :)

Speedle

Ex. Club Member
Regarding unscrewing the door pins - good idea that although it means you can't lock/unlock the doors from the inside any more. Is it possible that the door/s may become locked in a crash?

if you do it in combination with a good enough alarm system with anti hijack the doors will lock automatically after you start the car ;)

I removed the nut holding the steering wheel on, then when I parked the car I'd take the wheel with me, or if you wanna do it properly get a snap off boss kit. See them steal a car with no steering wheel

Not laughing but that realy conjures up images of an old Mr Bean episode I saw where he takes the steering wheel with him !