K&N on 1.2 - Worth the Money?

V

VTS_16v_Boy

Just looking to make the missis's K12 1.2 alittle more resonsive for her and for me when I have to drive it.

So is the K&N worth the money?

Has anyone else fitted it to the 16v 1.2?

:k12white:

Cheers

D

Deleted User

its makes the car sound a bit nicer under acceleration but not much more.

'A bit nicer' 'not much more'

You must have a different K & N to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously this is a great piece of kit, thats assuming you are looking at the full 57i kit.

Since I have had it installed, my friends are almost convinced that I have wacked a 350z engine in. (lol) Seriously it sounds amazing when you get to 4'000 revs. If you put your foot down then you feel the rooaaaaaar all through the rev range, its seriously loud from the outside as well (only when you put your foot down) I have had so many looks of people since I have installed this, people just cant believe its a micra, its shaved over a second of my 0-60 as well. Trust me it really is the mutts nutts, the best mod I have purchased. I will have to make a quick vid of it.

The sound is natural engine sound as well, not crappy exhaust sound that you hear from these chaved up corsas, it really is gorgeous.

You get a replacement filter and you don't use the airbox nissan install, all that is removed. Then you have to cold air feed pipes, of which I attached mine to the front of my bumper (because I have the sport kit on my car.

Trust me the difference is just so noticeable, you cant go wrong, I recommend to all.

Just to add, I have the 1.2 micra as well :laugh:

OP
OP
V

VTS_16v_Boy

Seriously this is a great piece of kit, thats assuming you are looking at the full 57i kit

This is the item I was looking at on www.mircasport.com - from the sound of it, this is the item you mentioned.

559.jpg

Looks more like a panel filter rather than a normal cone filter which Im used to. Strange setup on the 1.2 16v as it looks as if the airbox is under the rocker cover.

I take it that this is only a cover? and once removed the air box and leads/plugs etc will be on show.

Thanx :k12white:

tse_adam

Micra Attitude
'A bit nicer' 'not much more'

You must have a different K & N to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously this is a great piece of kit, thats assuming you are looking at the full 57i kit.

Since I have had it installed, my friends are almost convinced that I have wacked a 350z engine in. (lol) Seriously it sounds amazing when you get to 4'000 revs. If you put your foot down then you feel the rooaaaaaar all through the rev range, its seriously loud from the outside as well (only when you put your foot down) I have had so many looks of people since I have installed this, people just cant believe its a micra, its shaved over a second of my 0-60 as well. Trust me it really is the mutts nutts, the best mod I have purchased. I will have to make a quick vid of it.

The sound is natural engine sound as well, not crappy exhaust sound that you hear from these chaved up corsas, it really is gorgeous.

You get a replacement filter and you don't use the airbox nissan install, all that is removed. Then you have to cold air feed pipes, of which I attached mine to the front of my bumper (because I have the sport kit on my car.

Trust me the difference is just so noticeable, you cant go wrong, I recommend to all.

Just to add, I have the 1.2 micra as well :laugh:

:unclesam: not in a million years would a K&N filter shave a full second off the 0-60 times. then turbos would just reduce the time by at least half :upside:

seriously though, it will give a much deeper roar but dont be too optimistic about the performance gain, in most cases cars actually lose bhp because of incorrect installation.

OP
OP
V

VTS_16v_Boy

:unclesam: not in a million years would a K&N filter shave a full second off the 0-60 times. then turbos would just reduce the time by at least half :upside:

seriously though, it will give a much deeper roar but dont be too optimistic about the performance gain, in most cases cars actually lose bhp because of incorrect installation.

I totally understand the pro's and con's of induction kits as I have been through a few different setups on my own VTS saxo, but I just wasnt sure how the 1.2 would respond to the K&N.

Her first non main dealer service is coming up in April so Im gona take the chance to change a few bits like - K&N over standard filter, better plugs and maybe set of better HT leads aswell.

Just want to make the car slightly more responsive for her :girly:

D

Deleted User

Its shaved a second of, without a shadow of a doubt, the micra k12 factory airbox is one of the most restrictive filters in ts class, I did read it somewhere, but it doesnt take a rain surgeon to realize how restrictive the standard one is.

Anyway, yes that is the replacement kit. It is a bit like a replacement panel, but its not, because all the airbox will be removed, this kit costs about £80.

A panel filter will only fit in the standard airbox and costs £35, I was told that these dont make a much of a difference really (apparently!!!!!!!)

Your choice, but personally you cant go wrong, best mod I have made. :laugh:

OP
OP
V

VTS_16v_Boy

Id probally go for the full kit to be honest with you :)

That way when I drive it I can have alittle fun with it (dont tell the missis tho)

Hello!
i just replaced the nissan filter with K&N and frankly didnt notice much.
its a little noisier and i thing on high revvs got a little strength.
i saw the 57i induction and i think that with that the dirt will reach the outside of the filter very easily. you would have to clean it every 3000 miles.
still if you see the instructions on K&N website youll see that if you buy the pipes seperatly you could save some money.

Increasing the airflow is bound to increase the amount of dirt reaching the filter as its sucking in more air.

However, I see what u mean because the filter is very open and it seems like an unconventional design but then thats why the performance filters are made to a higher standard.

I have just ordered a 57i kit as i want to see if there is much of a difference from just changing the filter, where the improvement is only very slight and in the higher revs.

Can anyone post some pics of their fitment for the 57i as i am unsure where the pipes are supposed to go? I have a/c - think this affects their location

Thanks