Just got my car back from the welders..

mintyfresh

Ex. Club Member
I needed some sill repair but when i went to pick it up the guy offered me some advice in the form of 'Sell it before its next MOT'. Luckily i should be coming into some money soon though so a new micra could actually be a possibility, maybe 1.3 but have no idea how much this would increase my insurance by, so maybe not (im not going to ask cause i know there are a lot of variables)

Anyway, apart from the obvious signs of rust and stuff is there anything else i can do to check the condition of the sills on any car i may go and see in the future?

cheers

Take a mirror and some fingers.

Position the mirror so you can see under the sill and poke any rusty patches. If your finger goes thru, walk away.

K11s tend to rust along the inner edge especially just in front of the rear wheel arch. Have a look at my blog to see the state of mine!

saying 'Sell it before its next MOT' doesn't inspire my confidence in the welders work!

he's probably saying that because he's not done it properly. when i done my sill i cut out all the rust and welded a new sill in, by the time i was finished it looked like it was never done apart from the difference in lacquer but thats #### all.

my k11 rusted on the outer inner sill right by the read wheel and under the rear seats. the only problem is the monkey that welded has left the plate so it is noticeable. going for its re test tomoz n i brought the car without txt or mot so i was quite lucky really. just be careful on it if unsure pay a greese monkey to check it over n he will do a thourough job

he said he'd welded a plate onto about 3 old plates and that my sills were in a state. He did say he'd happily repair it everytime it got bad, but he'd rather we didnt have to spend all that money (which i found pretty respectable of him to be honest)

I want to use this an excuse to get a slightly newer 3 door 1.3 though :D

My sills are in a state too ... not much strength left in the rear 12" or so each side, so I'd sooner cut them out and replace them. Any ideas on roughly what new sills would cost and where I could get them from (Leicestershire preferably but anywhere within a reasonable distance) - I'd probably weld them myself if I can find somewhere to work on the car.

Apart from that the car's in good condition :)

BG

just cut it all out and weld a new one in, i done this, filled it, primered and painted it all in about 6 hours. i tried to add attachments but cant get it to work

Hi all Micra owners , preparing my wifes k11 1.0 for the MOT & doing some welding on the sills and found a GREAT surprise, looking through the outer sill to find the inner areas like new ,this great anti rust treatment from new will keep the car alive many more years .seat belt mounting bolt visible.
pity the outer sills dont get the anti rust too.
Look here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cooljazz3/?saved=1

Back