Just bought my first car ever - but it lacks the service diary

Hello everyone, first of all i'm very happy i have found this forum. I've been reading this for few days and read very interesting topics.

So me and my better half decided to buy a car after many years of thinking about it. Finally I noticed very nice '03 Micra (240k kms / 150k miles) on local car selling place for 1300 € and we decided to test drive it. We really loved the thing at first sight so we decided to buy it. There isn't any weird noises in engine at any speed, clutch doesn't seem to slip and all gears work very great.

However there is one thing that bothers me a bit. There isn't really much written on service diary after something like 60k kms. I know the car has had 4 previous owners, which the one who i bought the car from, has had the car for like an year and had changed the Lambda sensor and the spark plugs. After i got the car i did change the oils + filter, air filter + cabin air filter. I also checked the battery and alternator voltages and they seem to be okay. OBD-sensor does not indicate any trouble codes in the system. The car has also gone through yearly inspection only 2 months ago and passed with only a warning about register plate not working (which i changed right away after buying).

So to my question: Now that I have bought a car with somewhat mystery service history, what things i should get checked or changed in the car just to know it is safe to drive? Since this is my first ever car, I don't have yet much of service experience, but I have connections to few local garages.

Thank you very much in advance!

Moro,
Vaihteistoöljy, jarru-palat & kengät, tullee ekana mielee.
Same in English: transmission oil, brake-pads & -shoes, came to my mind.

-Mika-

Kiitos vinkistä! I checked the brake-pads and they seemed pretty ok. I will get em changed for next winter tire season just to be sure. Also I will get transmission oil checked.

I just noticed rear window defogger isn't working - the clipper on another end is completely out of contact. I hope that's only surprise i will find from this car. :)

- Mike

Hello everyone, first of all i'm very happy i have found this forum. I've been reading this for few days and read very interesting topics.

So me and my better half decided to buy a car after many years of thinking about it. Finally I noticed very nice '03 Micra (240k kms / 150k miles) on local car selling place for 1300 € and we decided to test drive it. We really loved the thing at first sight so we decided to buy it. There isn't any weird noises in engine at any speed, clutch doesn't seem to slip and all gears work very great.

However there is one thing that bothers me a bit. There isn't really much written on service diary after something like 60k kms. I know the car has had 4 previous owners, which the one who i bought the car from, has had the car for like an year and had changed the Lambda sensor and the spark plugs. After i got the car i did change the oils + filter, air filter + cabin air filter. I also checked the battery and alternator voltages and they seem to be okay. OBD-sensor does not indicate any trouble codes in the system. The car has also gone through yearly inspection only 2 months ago and passed with only a warning about register plate not working (which i changed right away after buying).

So to my question: Now that I have bought a car with somewhat mystery service history, what things i should get checked or changed in the car just to know it is safe to drive? Since this is my first ever car, I don't have yet much of service experience, but I have connections to few local garages.

At a relatively high mileage, “150,000 miles” without a regular documented audit trail of maintenance completed on schedule may I suggest the following may well be advisable and required?

1. Clean sump breather filter and one way check valve.

2. Change all auxiliary drive belts.

3. Change engine coolant anticorrosion antifreeze.

4. Test brake fluid water content or simply flush and change it to protect the ABS motor/valve control block.

5. Check and clear doors and sills drain holes.

6. Change fuel filter if accessible.

7. Get the radio security pin code from the previous owner.

It is usual to get the dealer to carry out these tasks free of charge prior to purchase as a common business practice courtesy. In order to do these tasks yourself you may find it useful to acquire a Haynes workshop manual. Best of luck with your new purchase.

Last edited:
Usefull tips and hints from here => www.micrak12.com <=

In case if you need alloy wheels to your vehicle, I have set of 6x16" 160SR wheels available.
I started "Start a Conversation", there is phone number ;)
Micra%20wheel_zpsgkfba3ss.jpg

Last edited:
At a relatively high mileage, “150,000 miles” without a regular documented audit trail of maintenance completed on schedule may I suggest the following may well be advisable and required?

1. Clean sump breather filter and one way check valve.

2. Change all auxiliary drive belts.

3. Change engine coolant anticorrosion antifreeze.

4. Test brake fluid water content or simply flush and change it to protect the ABS motor/valve control block.

5. Check and clear doors and sills drain holes.

6. Change fuel filter if accessible.

7. Get the radio security pin code from the previous owner.

It is usual to get the dealer to carry out these tasks free of charge prior to purchase as a common business practice courtesy. In order to do these tasks yourself you may find it useful to acquire a Haynes workshop manual. Best of luck with your new purchase.

Wow thank you so much for this list! I will definately perform those steps right away. I'm gonna grab Haynes next time I'm visiting parts store and evaluate if I'll perform these checks by myself get em done by someone else.

Such a shame previous owners didn't bother to keep track of the repairs. At least I know I will!

-Mike

In case if you need alloy wheels to your vehicle, I have set of 6x16" 160SR wheels available.
I started "Start a Conversation", there is phone number ;)

Wow nice! I love this place. I got the original receipt of the car from 2003 and discovered my Micra did have alloy wheels when it was bought, but unfortunately has part ways with the wheels at some point of her life. It would be so awesome to have ones. I replied to your message.

-Mike

Back