Just been financially robbed....

Robb

Site Supporter
Theres nothing quite like a bank charge (or three!) to ruin your week!

Somebody please suggest how to calm my nerves before i explode (not in that way) all over my chair! Suddenly finishing a twelve and a half hour shift is not that pleasant.

Two transaction fees for going over my limit (which ive asked twice for Halifax to extend) of £35 each and an additional fee of £28 for going over my limit. o_O o_O o_O i know i dont get it either, suprised i havent been charged for the inconvenience of the bleeders sending me a letter to say i have been charged.

Looks like i will be living like an owl for the rest of the year now! £98 for breaching an overdraft by less than ten pounds!

Im just going to go outside to strangle the washing line. Back in a min. grr

Rob..

Ex. Club Member
Yeah, Halifax have done that to me on failed transactions. If you phone them they sometimes delete them as a gesture of goodwill. Just explain you expected the money to come out at a later date or something.

I told them they we're stupid and incompetent for charging me £70 to tell 2 different companies i couldn't pay a direct debit and threatened to move to a different bank that doesnt do such charges. Got my way eventually ;)

ollie240585

Ex. Club Member
Natwest done it to me. I ditched them years ago and went to smile.co.uk.

Never looked back, they never charged me for anything. I have £200 overdraft for when times are tough, but have not had to use it as i'm quite good with my money.

Live and learn dude. you'll try and avoid going £10 over a lot more now!!!

OP
OP
Robb

Robb

Site Supporter
Its the amount that gets me, ive only done it ONCE before (that was £20 so i bit the bullet on that one) and ive banked with them since i was 16. If it was less i would bite the bullet again but £98!

And im disgusted that it is still going on after the big hooha about overdraft charges. I thought things would change following the bailout too. How stupid of me o_O

richj

Deactivated Account
Best thing to do is goto your local branch and ask to speak to someone or make an appointment. I had a charge last month, even though I had agreed terms with the bank to stop it happening. Called them up, couldn't understand the guy I was speaking to, so asked to speak to his boss. He cut me off. Went to the bank - within 5mins everything was sorted. I totally agree, the charges are ridiculously high.

Makrakin08

Ex. Club Member
i get it everyweek pal, I wouldnt worry about it lol. Have probablly got about £2000 of bank charges i could claim back :D oo ( You can claim your bank charges back if you have all the statements :)

Alienfish360

Awesome Dawson
They're not legally allowed to charge you that amount, they can only cover their realistic fees that they face for you being overdrawn.

There are various ways of claiming this back, but you can guarantee that you'll need to find another bank after.

Rob..

Ex. Club Member
I wouldn't mind so much if they paid the debit for you and charged you that amount, that way nobodies really losing or gaining anything. But if you're struggling to make a payment, have it declined and then have an additional £35 to pay on top of the previous payment, it can make money really tight

And with the recession and everything we need to learn from tesco, every little helps.

curtis

Ex. Club Member
Mate thats nothing, ive had over £440 worth of charges from halifax and £200 from hsbc...I have put a claim back in, but as it stands there is a court ruleing happening at the mo so all refunds have been frozen until the judge decideds :S

pjg1979

THIS IS MY BOOMSTICK!
Halifax are c**p for that I used to be the same but I've now changed my bank to HSBC, I remember some time ago that they can't claim anymore moneythan what you've gone over by.

curtis

Ex. Club Member
HSBC are just as bad, you get these chinese or japanses people ring you up every 2 mintues asking when you are going to pay back the £2.55 you owe them!!

ollyc98

Ex. Club Member
I had this problem so went in and said I wanted my charges removed, they refused so I said I wanted to close my account so I could move to a real bank, my charges disapeared and I moved banks anyway

Craig

Unofficial Member (Gold)
Club Member
They aren't supposed to be charging you charges due to a charge pushing you over, that's very shady practise - go in and complain, make a real fuss if you have to - you can't really do anything formal until the ruling has been concluded.

Craig

Craig

Unofficial Member (Gold)
Club Member
Hmm, I doubt it, they will stringthis out as long as possible, hoping to statute-bar previous claims and use our money (allegedly) for their own uses.

Craig

joesouthgate

Super Moderator
Club Member
yes but i've had companys take money when they weren't supposed to and not realise! What are you meant to do about that ay?

curtis

Ex. Club Member
Not everyones is good with their money...i'll admitt it as im crap, if i see something ill buy it regardless of me having the money or not...thats probably what a lot of people are like

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
I've been over my overdraft with HSBC and it's usually fine as long as you rectify it straight away. Credit your account in say 24 hours or something. If you just leave it, its not surprising they still dish out fines. It's all automatic though, thats why going there and speaking to someone will probably benefit you.

Simonh

Midlands Rep
im with hsbc and im 17 so i havent come to terms with all this overdraft business yet but soon enough ill be 18 and then ill start ####ing myself over with money. im crap with money and from what ive heard i dont no alot of people that are (including all my friends)

curtis

Ex. Club Member
When i was 16 and 17 i signed up to a few direct debits but they couldnt stop me going into an unarranged overdraft as i was under 18 and couldnt charge me either ;)

OP
OP
Robb

Robb

Site Supporter
Chilled out now. Will visit the bank on thursday to see if it can be reduced at least.

Ive got away with it a few times from crediting my account the same day.

pixieness

Ex. Club Member
It's definitely your money, your responsibility. I heartily agree with that. However, I also heartily agree that being charged nearly 7 times the amount the error is completely uneccessary.

However, the role of the bank is to the be the financial expert for the dumb masses. The feeling of many organisations is that the "administrative fees" they charge are excessive.

Go to http://www.moneysavingexpert.com and click on the red "reclaim" tab at the top. There you will find lots of information about the recommended maximum that banks should charge their customers. For example, the financial regulatory body states that charges should exceed no more than £12.

I used the information from this website to claim back about £600 of charges from a period of 3 years from my NatWest accounts, every single one of them an example like yours - most of them even more trivial amounts of £1.50 and I had hitherto thought, "Oh well, it's my fault, so they should charge me £28!" This is what many people have been saying throughout this thread, and to a certain extent I definitely agree and can see why they might not change their minds, it's fair enough!

After I read a bit more about it, though, and started to think about it - does it really cost them £28 for the computer to automatically generate a letter informing me that I've gone overdrawn? Does it really cost £28 for a stamp and envelope and ink for the printer? What exactly do I pay them interest rates for anyway? :grinning:

You are in fact entitled to reclaim 6 years' worth of "excessive charges". I completely agree that their should be a penalty for being irresponsible with your own money - I mean, some people really do take the mickey don't they - but I also think that it should be reasonable. (I wouldn't send one of my class home if they muttered "####" on the playground. I WOULD if they kicked 10 shades of what's-it out of one of their classmates though!)

Have a look, make up your own mind if it's worth claiming back for, and let me know how you get on because you'll be the third person this year I've directed towards that. And let's face it, who doesn't like getting one over on the banks? :laugh:

nissanmicrak12

Ex. Club Member
well as it happens im not mates with natwest and barclays because of this , i went over drawn by 3p and didnt realise and being the silly me rather than closing my account when i moved i was getting charged 28 quid a day ,now add up 3 years worth! when they caught up with me lmao, told them where to go and never heard from them since damaged my credit rating a treat, thank god for lloyds tsb who only charge me 15 quid if that ever happens lol and have their own credit scoring system based on your account and how you use it :D natwest and barclays are bothe blood suckers and not worth even joining

danimicra8

BabyBlueK11
i know when i used to work for barclays one charge we allowed and as goodwill refunded it but after that you just had to live with it. I think only advice is work your finances better so you dont go over.