• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Junior 1000 Rally Micra

How about getting a Swift? I know we're on a micra forum, but I think that for racing, an older Swift offers more bang for the buck. The're actually very popular in CZ

Good luck Tommi there was a micra on pistonheads for £2500 fully prepared, seemed a very good price, may still be for sale. Be careful with lightening the car junior regulations dont allow much lightening.

hi tommi :) good luck with your quest, there is some weight saving info here mate http://www.micra.com.au/community/message.php?messageid=64865

Interesting read Frank! I like this image in particular:
64876.jpg

I see you have the roll cage bendy leg mod there. Lol at the cushions to make the seat fit. You can fit longer bolts to lower the steering wheel, looks like it should help. Engine bay pics plz?

OP
OP
inactive
Been driving the car all week :) Trying to get used to left hand drive!!

Going to do some decals my dad has an idea of what he thinks would look good but does anyone have any ideas? We don't want a respray so the blue top half will have to stay..

.... Fair play to you I wanted to do the f1000 rallying b ut deemed it to pricy and bought my micra and made her into an autotester, shes a work in progress i need rear shocks and a lsd but its coming along will you be doing events in northern ireland id love to come spectate and meet you

OP
OP
inactive
.... Fair play to you I wanted to do the f1000 rallying b ut deemed it to pricy and bought my micra and made her into an autotester, shes a work in progress i need rear shocks and a lsd but its coming along will you be doing events in northern ireland id love to come spectate and meet you

Yeah, I know what you mean - the price of rallying is stupid :(

And no, sorry, I won't be doing any events in Ireland, the events I'm doing will be in England and Wales but there's an event where all the Scottish and Irish juniors come over and compete with the English/Welsh Juniors at Anglesey.

OP
OP
inactive
Car looks brilliant :) do you know what events you'll be at this year?
Hi, I won't be taking part in any events this year as I am too young (I'm 13 and the minimum age is 14) however I will try and get to spectate on as many events as possible especially Junior 1000 rounds.

Ohhhh, well i may see you at some if you do go to spectate then :) im not in the F1000 champ but in the Silverstone junior one, pop over if you see a grey facelift micra with MSC stickers :)

What tyres you going to be running in the f1000 then? And how much does it cost on average to just do say one or two events in that Championship?

The championship has a control tyre which is the Yokohama A048R in Medium compound - they cost £59 each +vat for your first 4 tyres and after that it is £73+vat each. They can be made to last 3-4 rallies.

The one next Sunday (Roskirk) is local to me, so I am travelling down early on the morning of the rally which means no accomodation costs. The entry fee for this one is £160, but the average entry fee for the rallies in the championship is £200. I think fuel for rally car is about £20-30 per event and for tow car it depends where you live. Round two at anglesey is £210 to enter for 45 stage miles and my accomodation for me, my dad and nav is £100 altogether inc. breakfast for all of us.

Tyres are quite cheap then compared to buying publicly :)

What are the costs to sign up for the championship? All other costs seem fairly similar then

Well for championship registration its £40 altogether to drive, and £15 to nav. :) You also have to do 3 production car autotests and get signatures from the clerk of the course to do Junior 1000, but entry fees for those are usually quite cheap (£20) and they are good practice anyway.

Would previous rally experience not count? Like having won events and stuff in another championship?

If so the costs seem pretty decent :)

Sounds like you're flying :p be good to see what you can achieve when it all works properly

Always wanted a paddle clutch, just no money for one atm what with my ****ty job...

It's just the money in those cars, it's mental... I'm jus saving up now for a decent 1400, no more money is going into my micra :( good luck for you, you've got lot of years to get a win in

Yeah the quality of some of them is amazing, I'll try my best! Good luck with getting a 1400, what sort of events are you hoping to do in it?

BTRDA rally first, maybe get a lupo or a 106...whatever I can do most cheaply :p probably have a break for a bit, get a good car built and finish A levels well

Good idea, I'd like to do BTRDA when I'm older, but all depends on the money! I was thinking maybe something like a VW Polo that could be easily upgraded from rally first spec to 1400S spec when I have the money.

Aye but their heavier... Lupo can take a 1.6 gti engine and have a shorter wheelbase :) and bits and bobs are cheaper

h701micra

Deactivated Account
They're actually wider than the old wheels so therefore gives the car a wider track so it should handle/turn in better.
Contact patch will be the same but the offset will be lower... So yeah, you will technically be faster.

Bling is nice though :)
You'll have an increased scrub radius so it'll be harder to physically turn in.
But if the contact patch is the same you'll have gained no extra grip
Wider track in this case will only give straight line stability. Unless you've adjusted your geometry setup to accommodate the slightly higher roll centre?

I know humphries does change the gear linkage, makes it more positive iirc...

So makes it easier to change gear? I've never struggled

I'm looking for a mod to give a more solid gear change, as mine feels a bit loose if you get me. The last couple rallies I had a few problems with gear selection but not sure if it was the linkage or just the fact it might be a knackered gearbox!

I know I sometimes struggle from 3rd to 4th, but I think that normally because I get flustered in the heat of the moment.
Not sure if the later type is any better?

Well the main reason we are putting the later box in is because you can only get a heavy duty clutch for the later one, I had clutch problems at the last rally with the standard one getting too hot so we had to get the later box for the heavy duty clutch to fit. I think the ratios might be a bit different but not sure

Think 4/5 are geared more for cruising than accelerating in the later, the 98 gearbox is the best for rallying apparently

h701micra

Deactivated Account
We've adjusted the camber and tracking?
It'll definitely help :)
Its not something anyone could advise on as they'd have to understand how you drive. If you have PAS you wont feel much change from the increased scrub. But it does mean you'll have a "steeper" SAI so the self-centreing of the steering wheel is more prominent.
If you can run more castor you can eliminate some static camber angle to keep each wheel flatter to the ground increasing grip. It'll add to the above too, harder to turn-in, more noticeable self centreing but if you have PAS or just fill yourself with adrenaline on a rally, you wont notice :p

h701micra

Deactivated Account
Okay cheers for that I'm not very good with all the technical stuff! Need to learn more :p

Cheeky pic under the bonnet, not the tidiest engine bay but does the job! Need to paint my cam cover :rolleyes:
Engine_zps3d1ef0a8.jpg
You'll feel the changes more as you get used to your car.
As long as you remember to make one change at a time, test then note. You'll soon have your adjustment book :)