Jump start leads wrong way round, car's dead now - Help!!

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Hi guys

Made a bit of a school boy error. I've jumped my car loads of time in the past but on this occasion, I stupidly put the leads on the donor battery the wrong way round. My glanza which was a bit flat before, is now completely dead. Nothing comes on, headlights, dials, just nothing.

I've checked most of the fuses and all seems ok, and even with the jump pack connected it won't do anything, so where do i start troubleshooting?

Thanks guys,
Arnold

Scott

My name is Scott
Site Supporter
Guaranteed to have fried a fuse somewhere. I'm not sure where the fuseboxes are on a glanza. Check relays aswell.

OP
OP
Arnold

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Luckily i have a spare ECU from Glanza1! Ed tells me there's a master fuse or similar so i'll be having another look through later for that. I've been reading some horror stories about blown starter motors and alternators etc, so fingers crossed it's not that severe!

I'll google how to check relays now as i'm not sure

superls

K10 Tuner
there should be a big fuse somewhere near the battery which will have gone, hopefully the ecu wont have fried, if it has toyota want sacking for not fitting 10pence worth of protection.

find the fuse and hopefully all will be fine.

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
did you get it working? most cars will have a fuse or diode protection, car electrics are pretty simple the most complex bit is the ECU which should have its own regulator and protection in it.

did you just connect the battery up wrong or try and start it too?

OP
OP
Arnold

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
did you get it working? most cars will have a fuse or diode protection, car electrics are pretty simple the most complex bit is the ECU which should have its own regulator and protection in it.

did you just connect the battery up wrong or try and start it too?

The 100A fuse had blown, annoyingly i didn't realise it was bolted in from underneath so took a bit longer to figure out how to remove it! I've ordered a new one from ebay as Halfrauds don't stock them, and currently waiting for it to be delivered!

We tried to start it with it connected up wrong but i think just connecting it up incorrectly was enough to kill her

NeX

Club Member
The 100A fuse had blown, annoyingly i didn't realise it was bolted in from underneath so took a bit longer to figure out how to remove it! I've ordered a new one from ebay as Halfrauds don't stock them, and currently waiting for it to be delivered!

We tried to start it with it connected up wrong but i think just connecting it up incorrectly was enough to kill her

at least it was just a fuse, i think if you put the terminals on the wrong way you will boil the battery but everything else will be fine, its when you turn the key that you start connecting it to other things

OP
OP
Arnold

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Yeah that's probably when the fuse went. Ed's advised me to replace the battery which i'll do, but would be nice to see if it runs before I do that! Where's the best place to get one from, Frauds?

NeX

Club Member
Yeah that's probably when the fuse went. Ed's advised me to replace the battery which i'll do, but would be nice to see if it runs before I do that! Where's the best place to get one from, Frauds?

it will start and run, but it will be damaged, when you connected it up the wrong way you basically made a series battery which was 24v and connected to itself, (i am surprised the jump leads didn't melt) this is one of the reasons why you connect the ground cable to the chassis of the car so you cant get it wrong. but yea the battery would have started to boil itself damaging the lead plates. it may need a top up with water too.

but what will happen is the battery will probably go flat very easily and not charge properly,

i wouldn't go to frauds for batteries, you could try ebay, there was a local place near me, i think it was called Unipart or something but they did very good batteries for very cheap, they have started my cars first time even after a few years and swedish winters.

OP
OP
Arnold

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
it will start and run, but it will be damaged, when you connected it up the wrong way you basically made a series battery which was 24v and connected to itself, (i am surprised the jump leads didn't melt) this is one of the reasons why you connect the ground cable to the chassis of the car so you cant get it wrong. but yea the battery would have started to boil itself damaging the lead plates. it may need a top up with water too.

but what will happen is the battery will probably go flat very easily and not charge properly,

i wouldn't go to frauds for batteries, you could try ebay, there was a local place near me, i think it was called Unipart or something but they did very good batteries for very cheap, they have started my cars first time even after a few years and swedish winters.

I'll have a look online bud, cheers! It was going flat quite quickly anyway so probably on it's way out. I took a battery from Glanza 1 but that's been sat for over a year with no use. Would that be any good?

Antony

Ex. Club Member
halfords has the largest stock of batteries in the uk..... go in, ask for a trade card as you are in the motor trade (even if you arent) then get an 012/3 or a 007 battery i think (small jap fit terminals) for about £30... jobs a guden. and theyre guaranteed for 3 years!:p

gtsnissanb

Official MSC Trader
Halfrauds are by far the cheapest when I've compared all my trade prices in a few cases I've had over £30 reduction in price! Get a trade card, sometimes they will need proofthat you are in the trade though

Antony

Ex. Club Member
i used to be in charge of halfords trade... the card is a cast iron guarantee of cheaper prices!!!(Y)(Y)(Y)(Y)(Y)(Y)(Y)

OP
OP
Arnold

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Car is now fixed guys! :D replaced the fuse, and also replaced the battery. Bit the bullet and bought a frauds one without trade card but i just wanted it running. The thing weights twice as much as the one i removed though.

Head unit fuse also blew but no other damage that i can see