• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

J's K10 LS.

JStone

Ex. Club Member
So! I got my Micra as a first run around for £150 from a dodgy dealership down the road. When I first heard the engine, it was sold from there. Everything else in the yard just rattled and was on the brink. This thing was sweet as nut. So, to cut a long story short, I paid £150 for it. Found out it needed £500 to get a load of chassis rust repaired, then forked out £200 for a new starter motor (turns out it was probably the ring gear!) and had to shell out £75 to get my lights fixed...And here she is:
side.jpg

Now with the nasty issues out the way, I'm looking to pretty it up. So my "I'm a newbie" to-do list is something like this:
-Rust around the arches and various other parts. (1 & 2)
-Burnt on L plate(!).
-Few dents in the body work where some pillock decided to give it a kick because I "parked in his space".
-Scratches and nicks all over the body work. (!)
-Clean the cat hair out the engine bay...(!)
-Finally...Where I accidently key'd my own car! (!)

I'm trying to get it into a near perfect condition before I consider any performance modifications, but here's a small list of things I'll be working on in the near future:
-Using a load of black short length carpet I can blag from my work place to redo all the carpeting and they vinyl paneling. To me, black carpet panels/floors would look ace. I might try and get an interior designer I know to stitch in some red stitching where the "dips" used to be in the vinyl.
-Install a pair of 6x9's in a stealth parcel shelf ala DIY guide. ;)
-Install a pair of 6's in the back paneling.
-Install a pair of 5's in the front paneling. (It pays to be an audio engineer in training!)
-Fit up a pair of MR2 seats.
-New stearing wheel. Considering a "Sport" one or one from a Ford Fiesta.
-New gear knob, the rubber really gets on my nerves. It's hard to fondle. ;)
-New Air Filter.:rolleyes:
Maybe:
-Replace the window winders, door handles and the little handle thingo.
-Respray the dash black.
-Install either dials from a K10 with a tacho or get an external one.

For the future? Hmm:
-Install some new shocks (some people on the board are recommending boge oils).
-Get some alloys.
-New tyres.
-Lowering the front end a tad.
-Anti-Roll Bar (If I can) for the rear.

Any hints or tips related to any of the things I'm cosidering doing, just stick them here!

Looks like you've got your hands full....carry on as they say (Y)

A couple of things you might want to try out is to get some Underseal slapped on the underside, keep the underside of the Arches free from Dirt build-up, saves future grief. :)

happy motoring :upside:

nice, i have some mr2 seats going cheap if you want? good condition aswel.
I'm in the GL16 area so picking up from Romney is a bit of a distance!:doh:

If I stuck in postage costs + a bit extra, would you be willing to get it sent?:grinning:

Or, If you give me some details on them (weight and size) I could get a courier to go pick them up.

Just rang Twigworth and they've not got any K10s in, so I'm on the look out for a flywheel and some door cards. Out of curiousity I asked the guy about a pair of MR2 mk1 seats...£120! Crazy.

So...Flywheel anyone? ;)

£80+postage for the mr2 seats and fly wheel cant really say postage as would have to courier the seats. let me know
More interested in the flywheel than the seats. Give me a price man!

Also, went out to the shed with my g/f and managed to get the first part of the Stealth Shelf done! I would've got it all finished today if I didn't have to rig up a load of lighting for a gig tomorrow, worst part is I didn't get paid for the work!

http://micra.source-dq.com/js/stealthice1.jpg
http://micra.source-dq.com/js/stealthice2.jpg
Kickers off ebay: £25.
Acoustic Cloth: £4.50 for 2m x 2m.
10m of high quality audio cable: £5!!!

All coming together slowly.

Good job its gonna be a steath shelf they're a but wonky :p
I took a meter rule, a sharpy then sort of gave up and did it free hand. I figured since it is stealth, it doesn't matter...Besides. Stealth reduces the theft chances, which are pretty high on old cars in this area. My sisters Francepance 106 got it's windows smashed in (at the college I go to and work at) so they could steal the most terrible FM radio you've ever seen, not even a tape player in it.

I couldn't find my drill at the start, so I got the holes in for the jigsaw using a dremel with a sanding adapter.:wasntme: Now I just need to find the metal grinding adapter thingo to get those bolts down!

looking good mate, i got a stealth shelve in my car, and its a lot better that people can't see my speakers.

don't forget to take a picture of it once its in the car mate

Whilst I was doing a gig today, my girlfriend took it upon her self to finish off the rest of the shelf! It's in one peice now and the epoxy she used for the acoustic cloth is still drying, so I'll properly install it tomorrow.

http://micra.source-dq.com/js/stealthice3.jpg

Edit: Dumb question but I've been wondering it for a while...What does a standard K10 sound like when it's revving in the red? I've only driven this and a Ford Focus diesel, so I don't recognise the sounds at all...

New stereo in today. Was a bit of hastle as the previous stereo didn't have any sort of information on cable colour...So I sparked every cable against earth through a fuse, if they fuse blew I knew it was ignition / constant 12v...How ever I failed to find Constant 12v! Probably why my radio stations never used to save...

Anyhow, here it is:
Unit & Wiring.

I cut the original stereos cables and soldered them to the new unit instead of faffing about with ISOs. They're bound with duct tape as a fashion statement. :wasntme: Grabbing a second hand tachometer off ebay today, I'll find somewhere to stick or bolt it I'm sure.

Pulled out the back bench and passenger seat today so I could get new speaker cabling down under the carpet easier, it also came in handy taking stuff down the tip...I must say I felt the difference between seats + no seats. Wasn't expecting as much as I got, so the back bench is in the shed for a while. ;)

During the whole thing, I found a patch of rust under the back bench that's about 6" x 2" and some on the bottom right corner of my driver side door. Should look into that...

Is it legal to drive with no passenger seat? :upside:

Took off the passenger door panel to fix two of the broken clips, found out that the plastic (what I assume to be) noise dampening stuff which is glued on was stuck to it! So I had to pull all that plastic off and now I've got a load of tacky glue exposed on my door. Tried a few solvents I have, but nothing worked. Recommendations for removing it?

Also, novel fix for one of my window winders. Pics later. ;)

Pulled out the back bench and passenger seat today so I could get new speaker cabling down under the carpet easier, it also came in handy taking stuff down the tip...I must say I felt the difference between seats + no seats. Wasn't expecting as much as I got, so the back bench is in the shed for a while. ;)

Same! I stripped everything from the rear and couldn't believe the difference!

Same! I stripped everything from the rear and couldn't believe the difference!
Worth bothering with the plastic trims? They can't weigh that much. :p

Also...Rubber matting instead of carpet. Send your thoughts on a post card!

Edit: On second thoughts, water would just pool. :(

Need an alternative to carpet!

Took off the passenger door panel to fix two of the broken clips, found out that the plastic (what I assume to be) noise dampening stuff which is glued on was stuck to it! So I had to pull all that plastic off and now I've got a load of tacky glue exposed on my door. Tried a few solvents I have, but nothing worked. Recommendations for removing it?

isn't the plastic a water barier or something.

You can get this stuff made by autoglym. Gets everythin off. It got the bump strips off my fez so would probably work on other glues. Bug and tar remover or sommat.

If that fails get some chewing gum removal spray and freeze it off.

isn't the plastic a water barier or something.

Yep! I took mine into a carwash once without my door cards or this on, and i got soaked lol. the water runs down past the window seals and drains out the bottom of the doors. Without the plastic, the door cards would absorb water and probably go all soggy/saggy and get damaged.

Tested my new rev counter today (£15 from ebay) and it works a charm, only issue is I'm having trouble running the cables. How've you guys hooked up tachos? Is there anything near the drivers dash that I can splice into that contains Ignition 12v, -Ignition Coil and Earth? Well...Earth and Ignition are easy. Can steal that from my stereo, but I'm having an issue with the -Ignition coil. Do I have to run a new wire? If so, where? :p

Edit: Also, will having no backseats but back seat belts fail my M.O.T.? (Booked for tomorrow!)

Just extend the wires and put them onto the coil! dont be lazy :p

And no it wont fail the MOT, as i just went through one with no back seats but rear seat belts, they only test whats there! ;)

Just extend the wires and put them onto the coil! dont be lazy :p
Found a bolt hole that goes through from the interior to the engine bay, that isn't even connected to anything! o_O Took that out and ran through there...It'll be complete soon. I modified so it looks, imo, better. Those MASSIVE rev counters with a stupidly high rim around them annoy me.:doh:

mmm like the electrical tape holding it in!
otacho.jpg

That's the original. Was so large and bulky I just HAD to do something about it. It doesn't allow for sideways mounting, so I drilled some new holes in the back plate to get it to fit properly at 90deg. Took off the main chrome face and just taped the white plastic ring in place, stuck in the clear plastic and taped it to the main unit. Works a charm. I also snipped the lighting system wire and connected it to the 12v ignition wire at the unit, so the lights are on constantly when driving. It's also stuck on with Superglue.:wasntme:

Electrical tape is there to stop the sun blinding me, whos smart idea was it to make a chrome dash mounted dial? :glare:

Electrical tape is there to stop the sun blinding me, whos smart idea was it to make a chrome dash mounted dial? :glare:

lol@ It probably looks better with leccy tape anyways. I'm not a great fan of huge bits of chrome dotted about!

Oh cool. M.O.T. postponed due to threaded wheel nuts/bolts. Apparently the last person to put on new nuts/bolts completely cocked it up so all 4 nuts/bolts are threaded on the driver side, 1 or more on the passenger side...1 hour labour + £5 per bolt+nut.

you paid £200 for a starter motor??? :S stealership? and £75 to fix the lights?? o_O did they need a full re-wire or something.....

By the sounds of it, your not too good with a spanner so you should go out and buy a haynes manual and a decent socket set. Micra's are 1 of the easiest cars to work on so are great for you to build up your skills as well as having the money and pride of doing it yourself.

Ryan.

New stereo in today. Was a bit of hastle as the previous stereo didn't have any sort of information on cable colour...So I sparked every cable against earth through a fuse, if they fuse blew I knew it was ignition / constant 12v...How ever I failed to find Constant 12v! Probably why my radio stations never used to save...

:suspect: :suspect: :suspect:

test lamp or multimeter?

you paid £200 for a starter motor??? :S stealership? and £75 to fix the lights?? o_O did they need a full re-wire or something.....
Most the costs were in labour. Apparently it costs £50 for a new motor and £150 in the labour, same for the lights(Wiring fault). At the point of these fixes I had no license, wasn't paying for it and in most cases didn't even know till it'd already been done.

By the sounds of it, your not too good with a spanner so you should go out and buy a haynes manual and a decent socket set. Micra's are 1 of the easiest cars to work on so are great for you to build up your skills as well as having the money and pride of doing it yourself.
Got my Haynes and have started fixing little problems with the car. The idea is that I get a grasp on maintenence of the car, so I can stop forking out silly sums for labour.

test lamp or multimeter?
Spare fuse was the nearest thing that'd work! What can I say? I'm lazy.:wasntme:

Edit: Anyone know why my driver side wiper always squeeks at the windscreen? I changed the blades this morning but it's still doing it regardless off the amount of water it's washing off...

Back