Joining the band wagon

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
After much much ummin' and arrin' i've decided to turbo my K11. As Martin said,its got the show just needs the go.

I've had a look through this section and from my understanding a T25 is best suited for an engine with standard internals. I'm not looking at getting HUUUUGE power increase (thought i think i'll get the boost bug and want more)

Got talking to a close friend of mine and he happens to have a T25 at home that i can have. Made him an offer and i collect it next week. Once its in my hands i'll then pass it onto a 'contact' of mine who knows everything about Turbos (stripping,rebuilding,and the general knowledge of adding a turbo to an N/A car)

Once i've got the all clear and the turbo is fine,i'll then had the dollar over and the 'side project' is well under way!

First thing i've been looking at is the Manifold & Down Pipe. I've contacted Noddie and he said hes not able to fabricate one.I've PM'd Frank but still waiting on a reply,can appreciate Frank is a very busy person.

While browsing the internet i happened to look at Intercoolers (be silly not to have one seeming as i've got a nice big gap in my bumper ;) )

I've measured 550mm (w) x 200-300mm (h) x 35mm (d)

There seems to be some pipes for the Power Steering at the front behind the front bumper. Behind that is the vertical bar that the bonnet catch is bolted to. How do people get round this?

Does the intercooler need to be a specific size to couple up with certain turbos? Ideally i wouldnt want a small square one,would prefer an oblong shape.

Sorry for the essay,i'm a tad bit excited haha

r-reg-sr

-------
Site Supporter
good to investigate before hand
http://www.custom-car.us/superchargers/default.aspx

from the above article

"" ne damage; but this is not necessarily true. Engine damage is usually caused by excessive RPM but a supercharged engine will make the same amount of horsepower substantially lower RPMs than a stock engine, making high RPMs less of a necessity. The second concern is that some people think that b,,,,""

"" Despite being described as a supercharger, the centrifugal supercharger could fall into the turbocharger category in the great supercharger vs turbocharger debate........""

peposhi

Once I win the Euromillions...
Check with Stani1029 - I think he's well aware how to "turbo" a Micra and I believe he might be able to help you :)

Stani1029

Club Member
This should help.

3d24b95b.jpg

I tried replacing the power steering cooler pipe because it was badly bent and failed lol shaped my piece of copper, went to switch it and lost alot of fluid and had to refit the old one. OD of the pipes were different! Tried to bend the original pipe and wow its tough

solarice

Ex. Club Member
Just to complicate matters, my intercooler replaces the centre support bar and as a result actually became the support bar aswell the IC. :)

But you certainly cant complain with the clearance / fitment of stani's IC

Oh and good to know you've been seduced by boost. :D

Stani1029

Club Member
Is a bottom mount turbo better than a top mount?

Nah i just mean which way the manifold points, before i had the turbo at the top which gave me a long route of piping. If your looking at my intercooler, and a top mount turbo id recommend turning the radiator on its side

Stani1029

Club Member
Yeah you can buying elbows and piping that size too. Or you can get an intercooler that the in and outs are at either end so you can run your piping like this

IMG_0459.jpg

r-reg-sr

-------
Site Supporter
Yeah, Stani is the man :)

this is it ,priceless info he has
so we need to consider to be that man also to an extent
i wouldnt like to be stranded miles from home no breakdown cover,,,,,,,all because i hadnt done a little research as to what parts do what,,,,,,,oil feeds, intercooler setup,,blowback pressure,,blow off valve
cooling off the turbo correctly,water jackets and much more

Stani1029

Club Member
Haha ive never had breakdown cover until my most recent policy but i dont think ill ever use it as micras always make it home for some reason lol

Hooded are you going to give it a go yourself??

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Yeah i'm hoping to do most the work myself but will ask for help from others when i need it. I'm looking to have the intercooler exactly how that is photo'd above ^^

Infact that is the exact set up i want! I can see from that photo that the intercooler sits on the cross member,as i was abit puzzled how/where it'd sit

Stani1029

Club Member
Good stuff, its bolted in from underneath/through the crossmember eventhough the piping holds it tight. That intercooler was cheaper new :)

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
got a link by any chance? Did it come with the pipes or did you get them made seperately?

Oh another thing i was meaning to ask. Once i get the turbo & manifold. Is it possible to fit the manifold to the engine but with nothing else connected?

Stani1029

Club Member
Ill get you a link when i get home (out for a meal at the moment) and ill get you a link for the pipes i bought. And the minimum which is safe to connect is the manifold, turbo, oil feed and return. Everthing else doesnt have to be connected to run it

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Thanks Stani much appreciated! Once i get the turbo it'll be sent straight to Frank to have the manifold made up. Once thats back i can get the ball rolling :) Is a stock Sump ok to use for the return feed or will i need one of these 'turbo sumps' ?

Stani1029

Club Member
its simple, use the original sump and the fitment you get with your oil drain kit. 3 holes have to be drilled and bolt the fitment on job done. i used lock nuts on the inside and i smeared sealant over them to ensure they couldnt come off because a nut in the sump might bot be so good. :laugh:

just make sure it is bolted higher than the oil level and not in the way of the bolts that hold on the sump

frank

Club Member
we drilled 1 hole and used a threaded brass fitting on alex,s sump
and one member suggested using the crankcase breather

Attachments

• SDC10100.JPG
    SDC10100.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 325
  • SDC11951.JPG
    SDC11951.JPG
    211 KB · Views: 336
OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
now buying the seperate bits and pieces for the intercooler,Stani when you said i'd need those for the bigger intercooler. Do you mean the narrow intercooler (your old one (2nd link)) or your current one?

Stani1029

Club Member
My current one. The narrow one i think is 57mm OD but im not 100% sure so didnt put a link as i didnt want you buy something thats not going to work. Iirc the blue straight 2" couplers from the ic pipe kit fit over the ends at a push......

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
I'll wait till i've got the intercooler and measure it :) The flange,throttle body hose & the 2 different types of clamps are now ordered :)

Stani1029

Club Member
Whats the 63-51 for? To use on the 57?

You should need 1x70-51mm elbow reducer for the throttle body, 2x57-51 straight reducers for the intercooler ends, and once you have your turbo measure the in and out on the inlet which most likely will take the 51mm hoses including in tge piping kit :)

Davey C

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
1.3 box has longer ratios so would suit a turbo charged setup better. 1.6 ratios would be ideal, 1.0L ratios...you'll be out of gears within half a minute

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Thanks Davey :)

Found a Walbro fuel pump on Rally Nuts so thats sorted (at least i know where to get it from). Would Almera injectors be fine for it?

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
i get horrendous det :eek: i can only hear it when i run the inlet through the baulkhead and into the cabin tho (and cant hear it normally, so i ignore it lol :p)
*tut tut* isn't detonation a serious problem. especially if you get it when turbo'ing?
Trying to decide for the future. Screamer or Turbo? both have pros and cons i suppose :(

frank

Club Member
No, not on a 'stock' engine. Frank, you're running plenty more compression that stock you ruddy great fibber ;)

i really should do a compression test eh LR :wasntme:
and i dunno shaun tbh, i guess det on a boosted engine is serious, and N/A ftw mate (make sure you use a coilpack inlet mani and GA16 t/b and red QG18 injectors)