• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

joesouthgate's Red Micra SR

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like the plastic ones, the genuine ones won't rust thats why I've fitted them now.

damn so they were fake after all... that sucks, you might have to go for those flush plastic ones, at least they wont rust.

You meen the aerofit ones? My set are junk, the lock seems to have become seized inside so I sheared the key, also the hinge which slides the bolt across never worked properly and has to be bodged with an additional lever...

Look good though :laugh:

My aerocatch ones are really good, work a treat even after having sat arround in dust and dirt for ages. Just need lubing now and again.

Aerocatch bonnet pins are made from 1.4305, (303 grade), austenitic stainless steel which is not the best corrosion resistant material to use, however it should be ok in this application. The only situations where you will find the possibility of problems would be in a saline environment at elevated temperatures above 60C, which is entirely possible when sat above the engine bay in an oxygen rich & mildly saline environment, so there could be some potential risk of local pitting or crevice corrosion.

Providing they are lubricated and are only subject to intermittent saline environmental exposure there shouldn't be much in the way of problems but I wouldn't rule it out.

i think as Noddie said, a bit of oil should keep them going strong

Got my 3.5inch stainless tip today to weld onto my stainless janspeed system when it arrived :)
0198.jpg

Well there were a lot of good things about my old Super S so yes I'm doing quite a few similar things but it won't be totally the same.

this is how it starts!

on the fogs, i spend ages with wire wool, cleaning the glue off the glass and silver paint off the plastic bits, then used black silicone and tinted the inside of the plastic bits, looks really factory,

Yer, I still have the set of driving lights and trims that are on the car now to fiddle with once these are on as I wouldn't mind fitting the indicator strips I have into them.

Yer, I still have the set of driving lights and trims that are on the car now to fiddle with once these are on as I wouldn't mind fitting the indicator strips I have into them.

the worst part is trying to get all the silver out so it doesn't look messy when it lights up. also the LED strips might need a regulator, my LEDs have gone dodgy (LEDs should never be wired directly to the battery, as the battery goes from 6-30v at times, they should have a regulator on them so they will actually last)

Stainless Janspeed exhaust turned up today,

New VS old:
0208.jpg

Fitted:
0209.jpg

0210.jpg

0211.jpg

Will weld on the 3.5in tip when I get some stainless mig wire.

And I also bought some mitsubishi Gto bonnet lifters as they will look a bit better than the chrome ebay ones that always rust!
0212.jpg

Fitted the driving lights today:
0213.jpg

0214.jpg

Also got some LEDs to do some indicators in the trims sometime.
0215.jpg

led's for the homeboy phonic win
if they was bright enough could one be used in the front wing, would look mad one tiny led stikin out the wing instead of whats on mine now

Fitted the bonnet lifters tonight:
0229.jpg

0230.jpg

Unfortunately the brackets brought them too far in so they fouled the bonnet:
0231.jpg

So I made some new fixings:
0232.jpg

0233.jpg

0234.jpg

0236.jpg

0237.jpg

0238.jpg

Busted lol. I listen to Radio 1 until 10am then R2 until 2pm then back to R1. I find Fearne Cottons show a bit meh.

Must be getting old, this is my station of choice 24/7 :blush:. Having said that, I used to love Radio 1 back in the days when Simon Mayo did the mornings and Mark and Lard (funniest radio EVER) did the afternoons and they didn't play the same 5 records all day :laugh:.

radio4.png

stealing my ideas again :p i like the bonnet lifters, maybe you should make that into a guide? the rear lights are looking awesome!

Wellll its been a long time since I've updated this...
Just started work on the car again today, its been off the road since april since I bought the Audi.
How the car stands now:
0253.jpg

0254.jpg

Started work stripping the rear of the car out ready to cut the back off and turn it into a BBQ in time for JAE :)
Stripped the wiring back to basics to be wired to a tow plug:
0255.jpg

Most of the rear stripped out:
0256.jpg

The Plan for the BBQ once the gas bottle has had the top cut off and been chopped in half:
0257.jpg

I'm going to try and crack on and get this done in the next few weeks :)

OMG will JAE actually have a finished Micra BBQ for once?! :D
Yep, I'm planning to get the 12inch Stihl saw out tomorrow and chop it up :) and I have an old trailer that I'm going to get the tow hitch off so I have pretty much everything I need.

hey man, what are you doing with the front end? i need a few bits, gonna be awesome you know! i hate to see another micra go but if it becomes a regular at JAE it will be worth it.

hey man, what are you doing with the front end? i need a few bits, gonna be awesome you know! i hate to see another micra go but if it becomes a regular at JAE it will be worth it.
Not a lot, dad is using the engine I think and I'll weigh in the rest.

what on earth are you cutting the car up? why not get a front ender smash and use that?
I've got no money to get a front end smash so its use this one or nothing.

Stripped out the rest of the interior and petrol tank today:
0259.jpg

One of my tools of choice:
0260.jpg

Started cutting it up, but the pull cord went on the Stihl so I'll have to carry it on tomorrow.
0261.jpg

Wow, looking at those pictures I'm thinking about a project I have from long time, but I need a spare piece of green/red/blue camouflage tissue (around 20cm x 10cm) do you think you could source me a part from the seats of the door cards? (if you don't sell them)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back