• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Jett; The K10 Super S

OP
OP
porkpie700

porkpie700

Buy & Sell Member
It's been a busy month at my "workshop" so far, and there is still much to do. Aside from restoring a nice little 1.2 GSX Auto (which i have been keeping reasonably quiet about), i have also been working my magic on a few engines. One of which belongs to the Super S.
The water pump is out and a few other bits and bobs have been removed for cleaning and painting. The water pump was indeed worn out, the bearing is stiff, noisy and there is some sideways play on the pulley, not to mention plenty of corrosion. It seems that the pump was removed at some point, and then whoever it was put that "instant gasket" stuff over the origional paper one and then refitted the same pump :suspect:
Pictures will come when all is done :grinning:

OP
OP
porkpie700

porkpie700

Buy & Sell Member
New Pump In & Running... Finally.

What a cow of a job this has been. One of the water pump bolts snapped when i removed them, so we had to spend some time carefully drilling it out and re-threading the hole before i could do anything else.
Then there was the cam & crank alignment, every other MA i've worked on has been perfect first time, every time. But on this one they just didn't wanna line up. Finally though i got it right, had to set the cam two teeth past the marker (advance) with the crank at TDC. When the slack was taken up the cam finnaly gave up being a cow and lined up perfectly with the crank.

Only have the bottom side cover and the pulley on at the moment because i was running out of light and i just wanted to fire it up and check for leaks etc...
First turn of the key and that motor running was a sight for some sore-ass eyes i can tell you that!
So the plan is to get everything else back on tomorrow; covers, brackets, altinator, new thermostat and nicely painted origional fuel pump back on there. Had to order some new engine mounts though, they were shredded, so i'm waiting on them for the moment but for now i'll hook up the old ones so i can move the old moose around :p
So if all goes well i should have some pictures up tomorrow night, which are also long over due. (Y)

OP
OP
porkpie700

porkpie700

Buy & Sell Member
My shiney little altinator with it's golden brackets;

296870_10150337631169872_839509871_7748190_993316216_n.jpg

296870_10150337631189872_839509871_7748191_1234613481_n.jpg

A nice bright gold pulley and timing mark plate (much better for finding TDC lol)

296870_10150337631224872_839509871_7748193_1490478048_n.jpg

And finally here's the origional fuel pump, which i'll put back after a few days rest from shuffing around on the cold hard ground.

296870_10150337631204872_839509871_7748192_1731605317_n.jpg

OP
OP
porkpie700

porkpie700

Buy & Sell Member
New thermostat in today and a good flushing of the cooling system. There was quite a lot of bits of crap and grit came out of there, worryingly. It's either what came from the old water pump when it failed, or it's one of the reasons why it failed. :suspect:

Anyway that won't be happening again in a hurry because i filled it up with 100% antifreeze/coolant with corrosion inhibitors, no water = no rust = no problems. :grinning:

Next on the list is painting; the new arches and front bumper were mocked up last week, taken em off and gotten em into primer at the moment. Still some sanding work required on the arches (naturally nothing is gonna be giving me an easy time of it).
Unfortunatly with all the delays i've had, i've now lost the summer season so the painting schedule is now pretty much dictated by the weather, which is a bit tempremental at the moment. Hopefully though, it should be done before the real cold comes. :eek:

wow man you've done a Great job, i'd really love my Super S to be like yours! xD
I was wondering where you bought the bumpers and the grill, as i can't seem to find them anywhere?!
Cheers.

OP
OP
porkpie700

porkpie700

Buy & Sell Member
The bumper was bought new from my nissan dealer, one of only two new units left in the country. Unfortunately the side brackets are no longer available. The grille will have to be hunted down, most of them seem to be located in germany along with the foha bottom rear spoilers. The old bumper that was on there is from some rare foha kit and it wouldn't suprise me if it was the only one left of it's kind. It was on there when i bought the car which really ####ed me off. It looks a lot better with the new genuine one on there, which i'm in the process of prepping for paint at the moment. I just sold that foha bumper yesterday actually.
I'll let you in on something with those grilles, they look good but are badly designed. Rather that slot into the clips on the slam pannel, they bolt onto it with two tabs. Which are flimsy and almost always break, the clips also have to be removed because they sit in the way. They are extremely difficult to mount, because the tabs and the fog lights stick out and won't let them slot between the bumper and the bonnet without a lot of carefull struggling.

The bumper was bought new from my nissan dealer, one of only two new units left in the country. Unfortunately the side brackets are no longer available. The grille will have to be hunted down, most of them seem to be located in germany along with the foha bottom rear spoilers. The old bumper that was on there is from some rare foha kit and it wouldn't suprise me if it was the only one left of it's kind. It was on there when i bought the car which really ####ed me off. It looks a lot better with the new genuine one on there, which i'm in the process of prepping for paint at the moment. I just sold that foha bumper yesterday actually.
I'll let you in on something with those grilles, they look good but are badly designed. Rather that slot into the clips on the slam pannel, they bolt onto it with two tabs. Which are flimsy and almost always break, the clips also have to be removed because they sit in the way. They are extremely difficult to mount, because the tabs and the fog lights stick out and won't let them slot between the bumper and the bonnet without a lot of carefull struggling.

Oh right, that sounds like a pain then, well i hope you can sort it mate (Y). Also i was wondering what alloy wheels you have on their, look pretty sweet too, and the width/height ratio? As the ones i have on mine rub on the inside of the wheel arches a bit when cornering/going over bumps, Mine are 14" 185/60s, could get 55s on their which might solve it i suppose..

OP
OP
porkpie700

porkpie700

Buy & Sell Member
They are 14" & made by BK Racing, the model is called Eclipse. I'm running 185/55 14" tyres with origional arches that have not been rolled. They never rub, back or front. On any of my other micras they will definately rub on the front and rear mudgaurds plus on the rear arch, but the super s doesn't have mudgaurds.
The rear shocks on my ss also have an extra set of bumpstops (dampers) fitted that restrict the movement of the shocks to 15mm. They cannot compress enough for the tyres to ever reach the arches. It makes for a harsher ride on bumpy roads but the cornering is fantastic, i would compare it to an origional mini with rubber cone suspention.
The bumpstops, for anyone that's interested are Powerflex BS003 on the top (the mains) which are 60mm high, 39mm wide, and the bore of the centre hole is 13mm.
The extra set that my car has in addition to those to adapt it for the alloys are Powerflex BS002 (and sit between the shocker and the larger bs003 main set), they are 37.5mm high, 39mm wide, and the centre bore is again 13mm. Each set costs £11 - £13. And no arch rolling will be nessasery :grinning: