Jerking all the time.

R

rizy102

hiya,
got a 1.2 gsx and first of all the whenever the car feels like it it starts jerking like the cars got no petrol in it. i try to keep it above quarter tank all the time but that doesnt help all the time either. i changed the carb, fuel filter, and fuel pump a few months ago because of the same thing but it never went away. i think its the carburettor agen but has anyone got any ideas??? its an f reg 89-90
thanks

Does this only happen when you put your foot down?

If so, it could be the same problem as mine: The rear engine mount is knackered and has caused the rear to drop a bit, don't ask me how this makes the car jerk, but Ed explained it to me about a month ago ;)

I think you need to describe the problem better. Say how it happens when it happens and what you were doing to make it happen. THEN we can help :)

Ed

check the ignition coil for sparks going from the lead to the coil, if its sparking, turn off the engine, take off the rubber cover and use insulation tape to insulate the 2 nuts on the coil. but remember, dont touch it while the engine is running, youll get an electric shock! as i found out the hard way!

James said:
Does this only happen when you put your foot down?

If so, it could be the same problem as mine: The rear engine mount is knackered and has caused the rear to drop a bit, don't ask me how this makes the car jerk, but Ed explained it to me about a month ago ;)

the angle on the carb is wrong thus no fuel supply to the jets etc. or at least insufficiant??

Nope lol thats not it at all, think about it, if it was a steep hill you would never get anywhere :) carbs are designed with this in mind :) It was simply a resonance caused by the play in the engine mounts and the person driving the car which casues you to press the accelerator as the car jerks making it worse :) But that i dont think is related to this thread.

Swallow said:
give your coil,spark plugs and leads a thorough clean and then spray them with wd40, this may do the trick!

I also had the same problem as this thread describes so i'd go along with this advice (however i replaced instead of cleaned the above). i also replaced the rotor arm and dizzy cap

had a very similar problem, got a second hand coil from a scrappy for a fiver, swapped them over and it was cured.

Back