• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Jenny the 2002 K11 CVT 1.0

After the spring cradle decided to snap clean off my Honda Jazz axle writing it off, for the third time in my life I picked up a Micra. Always loved how Micra's are the standard car when people are low on cash and need something they can rely on. Last time I bought a K11 I looked at four before finding one with no rust. I needed to find one in a day for work and amazingly this car was listed the same day. The previous owner was moving to Australia and needed it gone quickly so I managed to haggle the price and get it for £550. This is without a doubt the cleanest K11 I've ever seen.

It's completely rust free, 45k miles with one previous owner until this May who kept it in a garage most of the time. 12 months MOT with no advisories. It's also a 5 door CVT which must be a rare find. I deliver pizza's for a living so the extra doors make my life much easier and the CVT is amazing for driving around town. I swear it's the fastest car I've ever owned from 0-30mph :lol: I even have the original dealership receipt for £5000.

There are actually a few differences between the 2000 model I owned and this 2002. It has the lever for boot and fuel cap release and indicator and wiper stalks which appear to be from a K12 or similar.

So far I've lubricated the throttle cable as it was incredibly stiff as well as clayed and waxed it to try my best to keep it as tidy as it is through winter. I plan to under seal the body at some point as I know how bad K11's rust and how quickly once it sets in. I'd also like to pick up some 14" alloys for summer and a rear spoiler. Other plans include replacing the blower motor resistor, whiteline sway bars to help the body roll (lowering isn't an option with my job. I spend most of my nights driving over speed bumps) and replace the rear bumper as the previous owner reversed it into his van causing a decent size dent in the plastic and a small crack which unfortunately can't be ironed out.

dq29fhB.jpg

Last edited:
Nice, does it have anti roll bars fitted?, Coil, pack micra s weren't all fitted so stock maybe the first step,
Better off , getting up and double checking the underside and waxoil, seen and had micra and nissans die off under seal rottening them out
All so check the gear box for when it was last serviced (it's what kills cvts)
Just ssayign 35mm coils arnt much of any lower then most stock coils that have worn, mine on 35mm coils, and firestone tyres (they are stock size but tiny compared) with a bottom brace and a rear sitting down (it just does) clears bumps and speed bumps ok no scraping (road or what left of them and stupid sized speed bumps) also handles much better with/without roll bars
That's is o 35mm coils

Attachments

• IMG_20180919_192006_721.jpg
    IMG_20180919_192006_721.jpg
    651.1 KB · Views: 315
After the spring cradle decided to snap clean off my Honda Jazz axle writing it off, for the third time in my life I picked up a Micra. Always loved how Micra's are the standard car when people are low on cash and need something they can rely on. Last time I bought a K11 I looked at four before finding one with no rust. I needed to find one in a day for work and amazingly this car was listed the same day. The previous owner was moving to Australia and needed it gone quickly so I managed to haggle the price and get it for £550. This is without a doubt the cleanest K11 I've ever seen.

It's completely rust free, 45k miles with one previous owner until this May who kept it in a garage most of the time. 12 months MOT with no advisories ever apart from tire tread and a ball joint a few years back which were replaced. It's also a 5 door CVT which must be a rare find. I deliver pizza's for a living so the extra doors make my life much easier and the CVT is amazing for driving around town. I swear it's the fastest car I've ever owned from 0-30mph :lol: I even have the original dealership receipt for £5000.

So far I've lubricated the throttle cable as it was incredibly stiff as well as clayed and waxed it to try my best to keep it as tidy as it is through winter. I plan to under seal the body at some point as I know how bad K11's rust and how quickly once it sets in. I'd also like to pick up some 14" alloys for summer and a rear spoiler. Other plans include replacing the blower motor resistor, whiteline sway bars to help the body roll (lowering isn't an option with my job. I spend most of my nights driving over speed bumps) and replace the rear bumper as the previous owner reversed it into his van causing a decent size dent in the plastic and a small crack which unfortunately can't be ironed out.

dq29fhB.jpg

Looks all good, & bought yourself a nice Christmas present on 45k for £550.

My kind of buy for years of cheap as chips trouble free motoring.

Jobs a goodun!

OP
OP
fooby
I'll have a look into the CVT service schedule. I know hardly anything about them. Fuel economy isn't what I was expecting. I'm averaging 37MPG over three tanks of fairly careful mixed town and motorway driving. I guess it's not too bad considering the low running costs, just a far cry from the 48 I used to average in the much quicker 1.4 Jazz. I seem to remember getting mid to high 40s on my previous manual K11.

Hi Fooby My micra has been serviced every year of its life by Nissan main dealer,and i have the whole service schedule and not once has the cvt oil been changed!! I phoned them to ask why, they said "it never needs changing" I said in the handbook it states that the oil needs changing every 24 months, and also there is a sticker on the inside of the bonnet stating what oil and again 24 months, and the dealer took no notice, so obviously when the weather is a bit warmer i will be changing the oil.

Cvt are known to use abit more fuel, tho to be fair I'm getting 40/45 from a 1.3 manual
ALso for the oil look up Nissan eBay page or quickco (probs contact or got to them ) they do oem, Nissan spares and oils

OP
OP
fooby
I got 43MPG on a trip to Edinburgh yesterday sitting at 65mph. That's more like it! I think I just need to get used to driving the CVT. Very easy to just put your foot down pulling away which is killing my economy.

The auto is surprisingly nice on the motorway. It's no Mercedes but the variable ratios seem to mean that is not screaming at nearly 4k RPM doing 70. It definitely kicks down on hills but not as noticable as shifting to 4th on the manual.

I did find myself wishing I'd purchased a manual on the fun roads, but soon remembered why I got it once I had to navigate Edinburgh city centre with no clue where I was. Ultimate city car. I've done about 1500 miles in her so far, starting to trust Jenny now!

Last edited:
You'll find that the 1 litres use a lot more fuel once they go over 60mph. I always found that with mine, i used to just set off earlier and do 60 mph down the motorway.
They always do better mpg with a manual box as well.

OP
OP
fooby
Yeah I was doing indicated 65 GPS 60 most of the way. I've noticed since lubricating the throttle cable that it's not dropped below 40MPG even when the whole tank is used purely for city driving. Pretty impressed and this is about what I was expecting. I'd imagine this is just down to having better throttle control now. Maybe I've burned away some crap as well as at 45k miles I imagine it was only ever used for shopping trips and the like.

I've put more miles on it in the last month than it did in the last 12 months haha.

OP
OP
fooby
I washed and waxed her after all the salt on the roads lately and then went to work with a blow torch to restore the black trim. Looks a lot better! It's a bit patchy which I think is due to the plastic being grey not black. I'm going to try some Meguirs Ultimate Black and see if that makes it a bit more even.

Attachments

• 20190113_163108-01.jpeg
    20190113_163108-01.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 297
  • 20190113_162032.jpg
    20190113_162032.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 378
Last edited:
OP
OP
fooby
Been getting filthy in the snow this week. I also smashed the front left wheel into a curb due to black ice which made my speed wobble much worse. I changed the wheel for the brand new spare which has got rid of 90% of the wobble. The original is visibly bent unfortunately.

Is it worth my time getting the tires swapped over? The spare has 100% tread and the other 3 tires are around 70%. I'm guessing the wheel can't be straightened out but it would do fine as a spare.

Attachments

• 20190131_130854.jpg
    20190131_130854.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 319
  • 20190131_130910.jpg
    20190131_130910.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 319
could swap the tyre so long its not damaged,
tbh cheeky to say i got two brandnew tyres on very clean steelies and two 75% older Continental on matching wheels off that 31k micra forsale
i hate running on the spare as it screws up the wear patern over the tyres and not a fan of miss matched tyres lol

OP
OP
fooby
If I wasn't planning on getting alloys at some point soon I might have taken you up on that.

I had a good poke around with the wheel off and nothing else seems to be damaged and allignment doesn't seem to be off luckily. Tyre looks to be fine but the trim is cracked and ruined.

Last edited:
OP
OP
fooby
I have a thing for clean engine bays so I went at it today following ChrisFix's guide. Clean with wipes, cover block and hose and agitate with a brush / soapy water.

I didn't go wild as I'm going to paint the rocker cover crinkle black at some point and I'll give it a deep clean when I do along with wire brushing the crusty bolts and aluminium.

Maguire's ultimate black might be a bit crap on grey trim but my god it works on black plastic. Looks brand new!

I also discovered the CVT dipstick. The oil is topped up perfectly and bright red so my guess is it has been changed fairly recently. I also picked up some AeroBlade wipers. The stock ones were fine but so damn noisy no matter how heavy the rain is. So far these new ones are dead silent even when wiping dry.

AV2INgy_d.jpg

yjhDOBP_d.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
fooby
Heat gun then some old engine oil and a rag and use it like polish
Looks goid
I've done this in the past but won't the oil perish the plastic and rubber? Ultimate black is water based I think. Roll on payday for some paint and hopefully some free time with decent weather to finish it up.

I swapped my front and rear wheels around to try and diagnose this speed wobble. Some plumb had fitted the bolts on one wheel backwards so the centering tapered part wasn't doing any centering. Unfortunately I still have speed wobble, although it was worst when accelerating above 50 and now it doesn't wobble under throttle, so I think I may still have a balancing issue and I think I know which wheel it is now.

Tracking? Checked the track rods ect?
Some rubbers oil may perish but plastics should be fine as black pack seems to be petroleum and silicon based

OP
OP
fooby
I think an alignment might be in order. I'd be surprised if I didn't knock it out when I crashed into that curb. Track rod ends look pretty new.

I'm considering picking up some 15" Grid V's as I discovered they would also fit the GD1 Jazz which I probably will own again at some point when I no longer deliver pizzas. K11s are sick but they're also a nightmare to fill with bikes and you can't really sleep in the back. The facelift GD1 also has a stronger rear disk axle. The one on my pre-facelift was paper thin. Bit of a design flaw on an otherwise solid car.

Don't worry the Micra will stay as a run about and possibly my girlfriends car as she has dyspraxia and struggles with her manual Doblo. Not sure if ET20 with a 7" rim will work though. More research required but I want something slightly dished, black with a chrome band.

Last edited:
15x6jj , those are almera gti wheels and Tbh the are on the reasonable limit, without rubbing or hitting really
Also tyres wise 185 to 205 /50/15s , toyo proxes are £133 a set on eBay

Just another thing how old are the tyres on the car? Could be flat spotted? Or if near original with some they go get shaped ,

Attachments

• IMG_20190120_132824_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20190120_132824_hdr.jpg
    667.1 KB · Views: 233
  • P170219_17.04.JPG
    P170219_17.04.JPG
    628.5 KB · Views: 307

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
I think an alignment might be in order. I'd be surprised if I didn't knock it out when I crashed into that curb. Track rod ends look pretty new.

I'm considering picking up some 15" Grid V's as I discovered they would also fit the GD1 Jazz which I probably will own again at some point when I no longer deliver pizzas. K11s are sick but they're also a nightmare to fill with bikes and you can't really sleep in the back. The facelift GD1 also has a stronger rear disk axle. The one on my pre-facelift was paper thin. Bit of a design flaw on an otherwise solid car.

Don't worry the Micra will stay as a run about and possibly my girlfriends car as she has dyspraxia and struggles with her manual Doblo. Not sure if ET20 with a 7" rim will work though. More research required but I want something slightly dished, black with a chrome band.
They will fit very well, will be a nice looking car