JDM - What Does It Mean?

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
I'm sure many people have came across or heard of the term 'JDM',but what exactly does it mean?

I know VAGs have the terms 'Euro' and 'Rat',i'm just curious to know what JDM actually means.

Not just for my benefit but for everyones :)

Also if people could post pics of JDM cars and list what makes it 'JDM'

pjg1979

THIS IS MY BOOMSTICK!
Nope, not me. Good question though, it's like why is WD40 called WD40?

Water Displacement and it took 40 attempts to get it right, well so I been told anyway.

FORD GT40, because its 40 inches high.

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
I've read the wikipedia description...but still dont know EXACTLY what makes a car look JDM? Wikipedia mentions the de-stricted engines in Japan etc but not alot about the styling.

What styling mods class it as JDM?

solarice

Ex. Club Member
on a more serious and somewhat helpful note...

ive always took JDM as anything thats sold inside Japan with the intention of Japan being the main, if not the only market for that particular item...

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
i got told Wind Deflectors are JDM?

So anything that looks like it was made in Japan for that car is classed as JDM? Like the Rear Number Plate light holder that Square Pants is selling?

In other words...anything that a car has on when it was produced in Japan is a JDM Item?

My friend reckons his Civic is JDM,following from what i wrote above ^^ whats JDM about his Civic?

civic-02.jpg

solarice

Ex. Club Member
so long as the item is for the Japanese Domestic Market, then id say within reason yes... (answer originally aimed at hooded)

an imported March is a JDM Micra (if that makes sense lol), so things that wouldnt normally be on Micra's over here but are on March's over there would be JDM items.

The rear number plate light surround was designed for the Japanese market, so yeah its a JDM item.

squarepants

Ex. Club Member
OEM japanse parts...well standard japanse OEM parts that we dont get in the uk. i.e number plate holder...etc i.e most march bits like standard march bumpers and interior are JDM.

JDM gets mistaken for japanse modified parts like 4" exhaust and lark. but its the above ^