JDM tow hooks?

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
these kind:
gtm-towhook-001.jpg

are they legit? i am doing some modifications to my car which means ALL the towing points will either be inaccessible or removed entirely, so the best thing would have a screw in tow loop that can either go through the grill or the bumper.

i saw lots of these kinds of tow hooks and without really thinking i bought one. but when i got it there was very little thread, and the shaft was made of aluminium which i don't think will be strong enough. the loop is aluminium and i think that will be ok, and the bit where it swings has an iron core so thats ok. but i was also thinking, the best thing might be to re make the shaft in stainless, but stainless is kinda brittle,

so whats your thoughts?

i know you can tow a car with pretty much anything. i have towed a 2 ton car with a bunch of belts strapped together, but being dragged out of a ditch or sand trap is very different to being towed along the road. i have also heard of instances where tow companies have tried to lift the cars from the towing points and then the points break and the car gets very damaged from the drop.

the only place strong enough is at the end of the chassis rails nex, so that limits your choices eh.
i have a strap attached to the middle engine support, but you would,nt want to actually lift the car from there tho :eek:

the only place strong enough is at the end of the chassis rails nex, so that limits your choices eh.
i have a strap attached to the middle engine support, but you would,nt want to actually lift the car from there tho :eek:

thats no problem, any place that i relocate the tow points to (including the rear one) will be properly re-enforced and framed up. my plan for the front was to have a 90degree angle iron bolted to the inside of the chassis leg, and then the tow point welded to the bottom of that so that it comes out through the gap in the bumper, and then for the back i was going to build a bar between the rear chassis beams similar to how a towbar is mounted on the micra.

but as for an actual tow loop, are these ones any good? is Aluminium good enough for the shaft?

i know that if it was just for pulling the car along on its wheels then a bit of seatbelt webbing attached to the front bottom cross member would be all it would need. but for dragging, like if the wheels are damaged, what would be strong enough?

Back