JDM explained....BIG READ!

Status
Not open for further replies.

squarepants

Ex. Club Member
right just thought i would make this clear. (not having ago) iam fed up of people useing the word JDM, when they dont know what it means. maxpower have got it totally wrong, and everyone reads it like the bible lol.

JDM IS NOT!:
aftermarket parts
expensive japanese made parts
aftermarket stuff made in japan
a civic (unless its been imported from japan)
rota wheels
hks
cusco
nismo
wide archs
courloed wheel lips
another term for ''japstyle''
stickers all over the car

i.e ''my mullhonand archs are JDM!'' (there not)

JDM IS:
if the car was manufactured, and or, sold in Japan.
standard OEM parts that the japs get on there cars that we dont..i.e march number plate holder as we get the uk boot handle.
cars imported from japan
nissan march
japanese imported cars

i.e ''my march cup holder is JDM'' (it is)

alot of people think its another term for japstyle, or aftermarket stuff that was made in japan..

JDM can be a style aslong as its not a jdm version to start with, but has the JDM bits fitted, i.e replica of an import. altough i wouldnt say because an almera has vz-r rear lights its JDM style as its only got that one JDM part fitted. but thats my veiw....

a JDM part or style means its standard fitment on a japanese in japan from the factory, or a part of the optional extras catalogue.

"JDM STYLE" or whatever you could say your lights are jdm but it doesnt make your car a jap import does it? neither does painting saxo rims black with a red pinstripe... it just means youve sprayed your rims black with a red pinstripe not made it JDM if i paint my micra with flames does that mean i can go around saying its a hotrod?? or if i put full BTCC touring car stickers on the car say its a race car ect...

PUTTING BLACK WHEELS ON A CAR DOESNT MAKE IT JDM!!! NEITHER DOES PUTTING ROTAR RIMS ECT!! NEITHER DOES PUTTING A HKS EXHAUST OR OTHER AFTERMARKET JAPANESE ACCESSORIES... YOUR CAR IS ONLY JDM IF YOU IMPORT A STANDARD CAR FROM JAPAN AND LEAVE IT AS IS!!! THE MOMENT YOU MODIFY IT IT IS NON STANDARD THEREFOR NOT A JAPANESE DOMESTIC PRODUCT!!

know its just a word but its a word thats banded round and round and round and round you get the picture.. and its all thanks to lax flower!! but you would still be suprised how many times i hear jdm style saxo corsa ect on other sites.. we as people into our jap cars should be doing our bit to rid the world of these deluded fools lol...

this is not aimmed at anyone! just trying to show people what JDM actually is!

thanks

p.s could this be made a sticky or put somewhere where it doesnt turn into a dead thread and get lost!? because iam sure it will come in handy in future i.e as a guide :)

dan

James

Chairman
Well said :)

Nothing wrong with fitting JDM parts (for example my Primera has a JDM "Primera UK" badge and JDM crystal headlights) but it doesn't make the car JDM.

A grey area however I've always thought is the Almera, whereas the Primera was built in Sunderland (therefore totally UKDM), the Almera was built in Japan and brought over here on a boat. Although it's strictly UKDM (single DIN stereo, mph dials), it has a few things the UK built Nissans don't such as wingmirror attached to the body instead of windscreen, seatbelt holder type things, Japanese steering wheel (does look different!) and just looks more 'JDM' inside!

OP
OP
squarepants

squarepants

Ex. Club Member
i would say the almera is UKDM. fair engough it came from japan. buts its all uk/europe parts like plate holders, dails etc etc. as it doesnt have any JDM parts like the vz-r...

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
if its made in Japan but not sold in japan then its not JDM no matter how JDM it looks,

and JDM stands for stuff that was sold to Japanese people, the Japanese Domestic Market, so if its an after market part sold only in Japan then it is JDM, such as the nismo kit for the k11.

JDM isn't just a car thing, its refering to anything, so you could in theory have JDM potatos if they were only sold to the Japanese market.

OP
OP
squarepants

squarepants

Ex. Club Member
but i could sell a magnex exhaust to some guy in japan...but it still wouldnt make it ukdm or jdm...its only standard oem factory parts that are JDM. anything aftermarket doesnt count.

NeX

Club Member
but i could sell a magnex exhaust to some guy in japan...but it still wouldnt make it ukdm or jdm...its only standard oem factory parts that are JDM. anything aftermarket doesnt count.

i think you are looking at it from the wrong angle,

Market = where stuff is sold
Domestic = in this context, the demographic that the stuff is sold to, which is normal people, not companies or anything like that.
Japanese = the people who the stuff is sold to

so in other words JDM means stuff sold to Japanese people.

now in car terms that may be used only to cover Standard Japanese Cars that were only sold in Japan, but the words can be used to cover anything sold in Japan.

OP
OP
squarepants

squarepants

Ex. Club Member
''JDM specifications may have stiffer suspensions and improved throttle response over vehicles built for different markets, due to differing driving styles and different road types''

:S never heard that before lol.

Broony

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
a JDM part or style means its standard fitment on a japanese in japan from the factory, or a part of the optional extras catalogue.

Thats not true its anything sold on the jap domestic market based in that country. like nex said includes part available over there and not in this country.

god knows why people get so up tight by what it means but from what i gather the general consensus is that anything that made and sold in japan and is imported over.

hahahaha JDM fish :wow:

NeX

Club Member

imp124

Buy & Sell Member
sorry for seeming noobish but does this mean that my electric ST mirrors are JDM, just trying to settle an arguement with somone

cheers

steve

OP
OP
squarepants

squarepants

Ex. Club Member
Thats not true its anything sold on the jap domestic market based in that country. like nex said includes part available over there and not in this country.

but we can get hks and cusco stuff in the ukdm market...doesnt mean there JDM as they are avliable over here aswell?

NeX

Club Member
but we can get hks and cusco stuff in the ukdm market...doesnt mean there JDM as they are avliable over here aswell?

if they were sold to japanese people and then sent over here then they are JDM, even if they are identical to the uk ones (which would make it a bit pointless) they would still be JDM.

but you would only import JDM stuff if you couldn't buy it here.

if it was sold to a normal person in Japan then it is JDM no matter what it is or where else you can get it or where it is now. but like i said if you can get it here then why bother importing.

capnmchl

Ex. Club Member
Does it really matter? All these types like euro, JDM etc are just like music genres.

And as a musician, I hate music genres.

Shero

Ex. Club Member
HAAAA, good post

JDM IS NOT!:....
......a civic hahahahahaaha!!!

its mad people thinkin there a jdm freak just because they bough an old esi. :D

Baz

Ex. Club Member
Good read man ,this argument is on alot of forums at the moment. . .and my car was made an example of because of certain mods chosen. Now I never claimed its jdm as #### ever(except for when I got it standard) but basically on the exterior is a set of 15" rota grids(which suit the car) and a renault leguna front splitter(as the st front is abit to round and high for my liking). So what said in the thread was "yeah like people sticking a french car splitter on their car and still thinking its jdm" :laugh: muppet
I know the car is no longer technically JDM but it looks alot better than standard.

Robb

Site Supporter
Has anyone noticed anything like this in the letters section in the mags? Polish it up and send it in to all the mags Dan and you might win some prizes :)

joesouthgate

Super Moderator
Club Member
Yer but make sure its accurate first otherwise you could have millions of people disagreeing with you lol

Status
Not open for further replies.