japanese size number plates

Dragonmaster_uk

K12 NUTTER
hi everyone am getting everything ready for having some bodywork at the end of feb which i want to include jap size plates but i have a few questions

1. what size are they i am getting mixed messages from places?

2. can you legally get them made up and fitted to a car thats not an import ?

3. will i just be getting pulled all the time with them fitted?

4. will it pass an mot or will i need to fit standard uk ones?

ollie240585

Ex. Club Member
haven't got a clue, they need to be a certain size to have the legal size font. you can buy them from halfords. They should be able to give you a size.

Rob..

Ex. Club Member
As far as i'm aware, any car registered to the UK on UK plates can only have 2 different kinds of plates, the rectangle or the square you get on all standard cars. They also need to be made in the correct font and correctly spaced with no misleading obstructions (ie, Black screw heads making one letter look like another)

This is basically because if they are displayed any other way they can confuse ANPR (automatic number plate recognition) cameras. If you were to be pulled over by the police you can be arrested on the charge of going equiped to steal, then have your car confiscated and subject to investigation for any thefts in your local area.

If you ask me i dont see why people put so much effort into having different plates and then complaining about being pulled over. Theres nothing wrong with just using standard plates, even if they are positioned differently to give your car that unique look.

OP
OP
Dragonmaster_uk

Dragonmaster_uk

K12 NUTTER
i`m trying to find out first mate to avoid the trouble with police as i explained at the ferrybridge already been in trouble with them once however a standard uk rectangle plate won`t fit in the recess on the new rear bumper

Andy652

k10 lover (not literally)
http://www.craigsplates.com/import-number-plates

If you read through that it should explain everything to you. (it's refering to imported cars but it still applies)

If you want to hear it straight from the horse's mouth, go on to the dvla website and search do a search on number plates and there'll be 2 or 3 pdf documents specifying everything

OP
OP
Dragonmaster_uk

Dragonmaster_uk

K12 NUTTER
that site just seemed to confuse things more plus if you get through to order them there are about 10 diffrent sizes of import plates thanks for the advice though will have a look at the dvla an may try my local halfords tomorrow

Andy652

oh, I meant the bit it was saying about having to have uk sized plates unless there was some reason that you couldn't fit them

OP
OP
Dragonmaster_uk

Dragonmaster_uk

K12 NUTTER
let me explain a bit further my front bumper is being changed for a jdm spec one with jdm plate recess so there is not really space for a uk size one without it looking rubbish does that count as import ??

Andy652

In my opinion (and that's all it is) If the recess is the size of a jap plate you will be fine with a jap plate. But if I were in your position I would try and contact the dvla to find out.

Rob..

Ex. Club Member
No, the car needs to be an import. The police will just tell you to put a suitable bumper on.

I get what you mean having seen it at ferrybridge, unfortunatley its one of those things where you may need to compromise (ie, try chopping away at some of the bumper so a square plate fits in properly) I'll talk to a police officer next time i help my dad at work to see what the problems/charges are with it

OP
OP
Dragonmaster_uk

Dragonmaster_uk

K12 NUTTER
it`s the front rather than the back rob i would apprecate you finding out i`ve a feeling it`s going to be a case of, this is the law and "this is the law " from the police most of them will display some leiniency so long as the bs mark is on the plates and there machines can read it

joesouthgate

Super Moderator
Club Member
as long as the writing is correct then an ANPR will be able to read it fine, cause obviously imports are allowed them. Speedle/Curtis' K10 had a import plate on the front to suit the bumper and i'm sure they would have said if they had got hastle.

OP
OP
Dragonmaster_uk

Dragonmaster_uk

K12 NUTTER
as long as the writing is correct then an ANPR will be able to read it fine, cause obviously imports are allowed them. Speedle/Curtis' K10 had a import plate on the front to suit the bumper and i'm sure they would have said if they had got hastle.

cheers modded had forgot about that one so i shouldn`t get trouble from police or mot anyone got any idea on what the size it`s ment to be then i`m sure i`ve read 12 x 6 somewhere but that craigsplates site said that us plates are 12 x 6 and that jap ones are usually 13 wide and vary in depth

Pete

Site Supporter
Strictly speaking you should have standard UK size lettering and spacing, so long as that is complied with the plate can be whatever size you want it to be.

From experience a lot of officers I work with wouldn't know an import car if it came and bit them on the posterior (spelling?) let alone know that they are allowed differnent numberplates. So you may well come accross problems that way. BUT if you drive a japanese car that looks very much like an import then you 'might' just get away with it. I know I modified a K10 boot so the numberplate lights were in the jdm position and you'd not have looked twice that it could only fit a jdm sized plate.

If your car is just 'modified' and your using the import plate size because your modification won't allow a normal sized plate you'll attract attention and VDRS forms left right and centre!

curtis

Ex. Club Member

I got told on many occassions by different officers and got threatend with a fine once for having it...

But not once were they correct! I proved them wrong everytime as i sent a picture to the dvla and had a letter back confirming that it was ok

:D

OP
OP
Dragonmaster_uk

Dragonmaster_uk

K12 NUTTER
Strictly speaking you should have standard UK size lettering and spacing, so long as that is complied with the plate can be whatever size you want it to be.

From experience a lot of officers I work with wouldn't know an import car if it came and bit them on the posterior (spelling?) let alone know that they are allowed differnent numberplates. So you may well come accross problems that way. BUT if you drive a japanese car that looks very much like an import then you 'might' just get away with it. I know I modified a K10 boot so the numberplate lights were in the jdm position and you'd not have looked twice that it could only fit a jdm sized plate.

If your car is just 'modified' and your using the import plate size because your modification won't allow a normal sized plate you'll attract attention and VDRS forms left right and centre!

thanks for that so in your opinion so long as i was using the standard font and font size the plate could be circle if i really wanted it to be i was always planning on using standard font etc as there`s a plate expert in the town where i work may go and ask him about it he was quite polite last time he pulled me over

as for the size i may just get the work done and then experiment with bits of card to find a suitable size plate then take a trip to halfords

thanks for your help everyone