Jae 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baz

Ex. Club Member
Well I have to say what a great weekend (Y)
Id like to thank the club for having myself and Damo on the stand , had a small misfire on the way down from Holyhead as it was raining but that sorted itself out.Ed had a little drive in the st and realised it was pinging and pull back the ignition timing which sorted that out, great drive home no problems!
So I got up this morning only an hour ago, because we got off the boat at Dublin port at 6am, had a bite to eat and went out to the st to check its levels pulled out the dipstick and it had a layer of caked (rock hard) on sludge on it:eek:
Pulled of the oil cap and it usually spotless and you can see the rockers but this time they were black with crap. So cleaned off the dipstick and rechecked the oil level,it was fine the oil was a dark golden colour which would indicate to me it was ok.

So started the engine up and heard a strange whine and screeching noise ,oil light stayed on and no pressure on the oil pressuse gauge, so switched it off

I reckon the oil pump shat itself, all I'll say is at least it got me home(Y)

Image358.jpg

Image359.jpg

lucky that was Baz. glad you got home ok though, car looked amazing at JAE well done for bringing it!

lucky that was Baz. glad you got home ok though, car looked amazing at JAE well done for bringing it!

Thanks man , no bother at all ,yours looked class as well, exhaust was crazy on it

Anyway might be ok but by the looks of things the oil filter split at the seams and when i fired it up this morning it emptied the sump!!

Image360.jpg

Image361.jpg

Image362.jpg

Image363.jpg

Image365.jpg

Some sludge in the filter housing and the filter element seemed very brittle and seemed blocked:eek:

Image366.jpg

Good thing it didnt empty out while you were driving it! Thanks again for the ride, it is an amazing machine(Y)

Good thing it didnt empty out while you were driving it! Thanks again for the ride, it is an amazing machine(Y)

I was lucky alright, I'll pick up some oil and I have genuine nissan filter to go on And I'll fire it up and see what happens

you hav,nt been putting washers under the P/R/V spring have you baz ? :wasntme: to try and increase your oil pressure (because it does sweet FA to increase the pressure when warm, but overpressure,s when cold eh)

you hav,nt been putting washers under the P/R/V spring have you baz ? :wasntme: to try and increase your oil pressure (because it does sweet FA to increase the pressure when warm, but overpressure,s when cold eh)
No havnt did that yet lol:laugh:

The engine has not been apart for over 3 years

No havnt did that yet lol:laugh:

The engine has not been apart for over 3 years

maybe the P/R/V has stuck shut then mate ? and the cold oil locked the pump (its only a flimsy shaft driven by the cam eh) and caused the squeal and burst filter and leaking switch ? :eek:

maybe the P/R/V has stuck shut then mate ? and the cold oil locked the pump (its only a flimsy shaft driven by the cam eh) and caused the squeal and burst filter and leaking switch ? :eek:

Maybe I did notice over the weekend it was a bit hard to start in the mornings but the battery is good

Well just put a genuine filter and fresh oil in and tried to fire it up and it was hard to start, then I heard a bang the oil filter split open again

Well just put a genuine filter and fresh oil in and tried to fire it up and it was hard to start, then I heard a bang the oil filter split open again

:eek: wow baz, you must have about 100+ psi there !
what grade of oil ? (20w50 lol)

well you are past my (limited) expertise.

oil filter either split due to manufacturing problem, or much more likely too much pressure. Max oil pressure is when starting the car cold.

There is meant to be releif valves on the oil pump, and in most genuine oil filters. After pressure gets above a preset level it should open.

Cut the filter open and see if it is blocked. If so your only issue is....where did the #### that blocked it come from???

If not, its probably a releif valve stuck closed, and probably on the oil pump.

But I'm worried about the "gunk" you mentioned because presumably you look at your oil all the time....what has happened recently to leave deposits everywhere? Have you changed oil?

lol somehow I missed heaps of posts before responding.

given you just killed another one, probably oil pressure relief valve on the oil pump.

well you are past my (limited) expertise.

oil filter either split due to manufacturing problem, or much more likely too much pressure. Max oil pressure is when starting the car cold.

There is meant to be releif valves on the oil pump, and in most genuine oil filters. After pressure gets above a preset level it should open.

Cut the filter open and see if it is blocked. If so your only issue is....where did the #### that blocked it come from???

If not, its probably a releif valve stuck closed, and probably on the oil pump.

But I'm worried about the "gunk" you mentioned because presumably you look at your oil all the time....what has happened recently to leave deposits everywhere? Have you changed oil?

Its like the oil is burnt, I havnt really changed oil no

This what it did to the filter the one on the left is a brand nissan filter and the other one is the one I put on yesterday with fresh oil
Image377.jpg

I took down the sump today and the thing is full of crap, only can be described as muck and gravel ,NOT SLUDGE as the car is too well looked after

The oil pick up is near blocked and the pressure relief valve on the pump is jammed shut and the pump itself is hard to turn and the face off it is all scored

Image376.jpg

Image369.jpg

Image368.jpg

Bit of paint gone from inside the sump
Image367.jpg

Image375.jpg

Image374.jpg

Image372.jpg

So Is it just a case of a new pump?

you may as well re-shell it while you,re at it eh baz (the graded k11 ones may fit ? if so you could get the running clearances bang on and have a healthy oil pressure when hot)
i can measure my spare ones if needed

you may as well re-shell it while you,re at it eh baz (the graded k11 ones may fit ? if so you could get the running clearances bang on and have a healthy oil pressure when hot)
i can measure my spare ones if needed

Im not looking to rebuild just yet as I have a car in the garage at the moment getting an engine rebuild. This only ran for 20secs max, probably not even that so would the shells really be gone? Whn the other car is finished i will b taking the engine from mine to do a full engine build

it would be a shame to run the engine with all those black bits of crap flying around inside baz imo :eek:

i agree full strip, clean, measure, re-assemble is the only safe thing.

the question is still....what the hell happened in there! "sludge" does not belong in engines.

If you really want to try and flush it, there are engine oil flushes available, or you can just run kero or diesel as oil for a minute or 2. It will dislodge heaps of crap, but the real issue (as you've already seen) is when you have slugdy crap floating around it can get caught anywhere...what if something makes it past the oil filter and blocks a gallery...and remember when you filters split there was nothing stopping crappy oil heading into the motor as well as onto the ground.

its not good news, but the chances of getting away without wrecking something expensive like a crank are pretty slim unless you pull it apart.

Baz all the oil ways etc must be full of something, that needs a complete strip and clean regardless.

I wouldn't use anything else to try and flush it, that wont work and it wont tell you why it happened.

Baz all the oil ways etc must be full of something, that needs a complete strip and clean regardless.

I wouldn't use anything else to try and flush it, that wont work and it wont tell you why it happened.

we have now found out what, but my questions are how and why? which should stop this happening again

we have now found out what, but my questions are how and why? which should stop this happening again

looks to me like a big lump of carbon that has been dislodged from a breather pipe or pcv valve somewhere :eek: does it crush down to a powder like coal baz ?

looks to me like a big lump of carbon that has been dislodged from a breather pipe or pcv valve somewhere :eek: does it crush down to a powder like coal baz ?

It was like clay, muck or gravel,whatever you like to call it, I have the rocker off only a few weeks ago and there was no sign of sludge until i came back from the uk:glare: Maye not able for the long motor way journeys.

GOOD news ,its running again. The PRV on the pump was jammed shut and the pump itself was hard to turn , so i had a spare stripped it down checked it was working and put it in, Cleaned the engine as best I could and jet washed the sump, dryed and then put a layer of oil on with a clean cloth.
As regards the oil galleries I jublee'd a piece of 19mm samco onto the oil filter hosing and blew through it, no blockage, also removed the turbo oil feed , blew through that, no blockage and checked the return.

Once I refitted the sump i left it for about 6 hours for the sealer to cure, then i put in an engine flush along with fresh 10w 40 (light oil) and a filter ran the engine for 20minutes at 1200rpm oil pressure was excellent, then dropped that oil out, small bit of muck but not much.
Again fresh 10w 40 and a filter and took the car for a half an hour drive with no problems , getting a consistant 4-5 bar at cruising speeds

Went home and dropped that oil out and put in Redline 15w 50 (what I always use) and a fresh nissan filter car has no problems

I know this might sludge again very soon but I think the oil pump shat itself at the exact right time.But main thing is good oil pressure and no knocking from any bearings, turbo's getting oil, the heads getting oil so i'm happy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back