Jacking up the rear

I am thinking of lowering just the front of my car on some matiz springs to give it a Starsky and Hutch style rake but I've done some calculations and this would only be a 1.2 degree angle and I was looking for more like 2-3 so is there an easy and safe way of lifting the rear a little?

I know the springs have some rubber donut type things on the ends of them and I have a spare set so was wondering if I might get away with stacking these a bit like when off roaders use spacer blocks. Any thoughts on this?

Some alto or matiz rears on the front, and your fronts fitted to the rear should do the trick :)

Good Idea, didn't think of that. Are the stock fronts stiffer than the stock rears though? I'd rather not mess up the ride comfort if i can avoid it.

Don't know if you read this "The rear ends were lifted by air shocks, and had "U.S." brand 5-slot mag wheels added with larger rear tyres." (extract from wikipedia)

Yeah I know thats how they did it, I was just using it as an example of the angle i want:

2M8O.jpg

On a short wheelbase car like a k11 it should just be a matter of a little drop and a little lift.

I'd rather not mess up the ride comfort if i can avoid it.

How do you like self centering steering? Knock off a load of castor with that much rake and you'll feel it! (or won't feel it as the cash will be).

For an authentic look you'll want to stagger the tyres as well, drop a profile on the 155's or use 165/55's for a fairly big rubber drop on the front, and a big chunkey rear with a larger diameter to lift the rear.

Don't forget to mount a brake or fog light on the centre of the axle! White letter the tyres! Oh my god how cool would it be if Autoplas were still making rear window louvres!

I "almost" decided to strip and polish my slots and make some vinyl stripe as a homage to the red tomato up there.

Its not just the castor angle that makes wheels self center though is it, theres also the scrub radius and king pin inclination that push them back straight and I reckon it has a fair bit more than 2 degrees of castor to begin with and thats all I'd be losing.

Remember to readjust the brake bias valve! And yes you can, I use multiple rubbers in the axle to alter ride height. A pair of top ones can be easily modified to suit.

Back