ITB's vs. Forced Induction

Hey peoples, long time no speak.

Got a few bit's and pieces waiting to go on my 1.0 K11 ('97) and I thought i'd come in and start a row here while i'm waiting.

I'm looking at ITB's (probably a motorbike conversion) I'd probably use a plenum to control MAF and modify the TPS to work...somehow. I'm not talking serious powergains, nor do i want a motorbike powered Micra by any stretch.

I was also looking at the turbo route though, what's the best? In your opinions of course. Surely the turbo you're talking decompression, forged components?

Just some of your thoughts for my food please! :D

OP
OP
Revmau5
Wait, did my Missus pass you...Sydenam direction one day last week? You've got a few stickers going on, including an MSC one? We'll have to arrange a handshake someday.

OP
OP
Revmau5
I'll be having one made at a local engineering company i deal with through work. I've ordered an inlet manifold gasket so i can do a 3d laser scan and work from there. Take a few days to get it though. What sort of money is in the Webbers if you don't mind me asking? What are your plans for injectors/ecu/MAF?

The car currantly runs twin 40 webber carbs, but they are on a scabby home made manifold! So i'm going to rebiuld a 1348 motor and felt that a change is the way to go. Have looked at the webber alpha tb's and the jenvey's am sure either wil work fine, have spotted an unused pair with fuel rail and injecters for the price of the bodies! but they are £500! thats today's thought! it might be different tomorrow!! Car runs emerald ecu which i will try and retain!

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
I once tracked down a German company who made a weber manifold for the CG engines but that was a long time ago and I no longer have the information.

The only person you can get a Jenvey system from is Matt Humphris, the manifold design is owned by a 3rd party, (who I think maybe Peter Vaughan), so you can't just ring up Jenvey direct and buy one, it will have to be via Matt. I've attached a copy of the latest setup he offers but don't expect any change from £1000...

The other option would be to fab up a better manifold or maybe contact Bogg Brothers......

Emerald are capable units, so will see you to whatever you go with.

Attachments

• DSC04129.JPG
    DSC04129.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 838
OP
OP
Revmau5
Aye i'm steering away from Carb and such like. I'm sticking with the Fuel Injection setup and as little invasion as possible. I've ran a successful set of GSXR1100's (K7) on my Mazda 6 MZR in the past, very simple setup but had amazing effects.

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
Those Jenvey's do look the bee's knee's! but it must be a tight squeeze!

I don't know about that particular setup, as it's different from the original iteration that I have and the version Paul Smith has, but I expect the system length should be pretty similar. I've seen people using a shorter system length but it hurts torque output.

Cylinders 1 & 2 have around 40mm bulkhead clearance, cylinders 3 & 4 have as little as 20mm clearance on the standard bulkhead due to the heater box protruding into the engine bay. The hard lines from the standard master cylinder make any form of inlet plenum or filter arrangement pretty impossible. We had the bulkhead cut back and a flat plate welded in where the heater box would be in order to create enough room. We also got rid of the mechanical speedometer and routed braided brake lines out of the way, so the bulkhead area is devoid of any fittings.

As much as they look the business, they really are pitched at the high end folk who are chasing big N/A torque and bhp numbers, which rules out 99% on here due to them costing significantly more than the cost of the complete vehicle :rolleyes: not to mention the supporting mods to make them work properly.

k11_whore

Steve :)
Wait, did my Missus pass you...Sydenam direction one day last week? You've got a few stickers going on, including an MSC one? We'll have to arrange a handshake someday.

was it china blue your misses saw? Was me if so, yeah I'm down in Belfast so larne ain't to far :) pint and handshake indeed

I don't know about that particular setup, as it's different from the original iteration that I have and the version Paul Smith has, but I expect the system length should be pretty similar. I've seen people using a shorter system length but it hurts torque output.

Cylinders 1 & 2 have around 40mm bulkhead clearance, cylinders 3 & 4 have as little as 20mm clearance on the standard bulkhead due to the heater box protruding into the engine bay. The hard lines from the standard master cylinder make any form of inlet plenum or filter arrangement pretty impossible. We had the bulkhead cut back and a flat plate welded in where the heater box would be in order to create enough room. We also got rid of the mechanical speedometer and routed braided brake lines out of the way, so the bulkhead area is devoid of any fittings.

As much as they look the business, they really are pitched at the high end folk who are chasing big N/A torque and bhp numbers, which rules out 99% on here due to them costing significantly more than the cost of the complete vehicle :rolleyes: not to mention the supporting mods to make them work properly.

I have had some head scratching as to what to do to make things fit! Cost will always be a consideration but in the class i compete in, i am up against 4 corsa's and 3 nova's all with 1400 16v engines that will be between 165 and 182 bhp! The 1400 class is probably the most competitive there are even some that are quoting 200+bhp!:eek:! Now how true that is i don't know. I have been in vauxhalls for 20 years and for some reason just fancied a change!! There has been a few that have said to me to pull the nissan motor out and drop a vauxhall in there and hey presto instantly competitive! But i can see rule changes coming in which will state the block has to be from the manufacturer of the car!
I would like to go the throttle body route but if the cost is too great then i will probably just reuse the twin 40's that are on the car! Would like to find a manifold however and maybe i'll be lucky enough to drop on a set of good second hand tb's;).
Thanks for the info and help on here! Its all much welcomed as its all a bit new to me!

Cheers Darren