Issue with LED brake lights

I've got a strange issue with one of my LED brake lights. Bear in mind, they've worked faultlessly since installation and only recently have developed a fault.

Okay, so I've noticed that the nearside (passenger) LED's have become intermittent. The indicator and reverse lamps work perfectly fine. It's just the LED cluster that appears to be affected. What I've noticed is that the LEDs more often than not simply won't light up. Other times, all but one row will illuminate (although I have witnessed that row light up when the light is tapped/knocked).

I've taken out the light, opened it up and checked the wiring to see if maybe one of them had come lose or damaged. They all are fine, and everything is secure as it should be. All LED's are connected properly and are secure. I plugged the light back into the socket to test (before slotting it back into place) and it started working properly. Thinking that maybe a wire may have been trapped I screwed the light back in place and hooked it up. Now when I tested it, no LED illumination. Once again, knocking on the plastic causes the LEDs to light up, but they stop working again when pressing and depressing the brake pedal.

I should also mention that I have my rear license plate on the back bumper, which has lighting for night driving. This light is wired into the offside (driver) rear light, which is working without any issues whatsoever.

Anyone have any ideas or experience of this problem?

Things to note:

- k11 facelift (2001)
- License plate light wired into nearside brake light (both of which are working fine)
- The LED lights were bought from a member some years ago, and had already been modified (wiring swapped around) to work with facelift model.

First thought is a bad connection because the leds do work but only sometimes. Wouldnt think its a vregulator. Its could be cold solder joints too. Could you send some photos pf the circuut board maybe? Also maybe try a stock light and see if you have the same problems to narrow it down

OP
OP
ivawart
First thought is a bad connection because the leds do work but only sometimes. Wouldnt think its a vregulator. Its could be cold solder joints too. Could you send some photos pf the circuut board maybe? Also maybe try a stock light and see if you have the same problems to narrow it down

There isn't much of a circuit board from what I could see.

I'll see if I can get a pic