Is this welder any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peposhi

Once I win the Euromillions...
Lads, I have no knowledge to decide if this welder is good or not. It's pretty cheap though:

IE_61096wk33_01_b.jpg

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_12567.htm

I wouldn't need it for anything heavy, only for a home use, small car projects.
It's cheap, but on the other hand, you get what you pay for :suspect:

What's your opinion?

the DC arc ones are much nicer to use peposhi, there are 2 or 3 recent threads on here

the DC arc ones are much nicer to use peposhi, there are 2 or 3 recent threads on here

That's right, Frank. But I've never used one of them and that one... I used it a few times back home years a go

in a word NO, just NO, i wouldnt touch that. theres not much on a car that that will weld, forget body panels for a start.

Parkside / Lidl items are so tricky !
It's so cheap so you want to buy them! Sometimes it's a good deal, sometimes it's so crap you don't use it and end in buying a "normal price brand" thing.It's 50/50 .
The hardest part is when you are in the store, and it's the last one left "Should I take it? Its so cheaaaaaaaaaaaaap" :laugh: Last time I hesitated on a polishing machine...17euros !!! Finally I din't fell in the Lidl "its so cheap" trap and didn't bought it.
Back at home I googled the item number and I have read a lot of angry people who scratched their paint with this! :blues:

I have the same problem with them. But in fairness I've bought fair amount of good and useful items there. And reliable too :)
As you, Seb, say - it's 50/50 there :):)

Yes, for example I've recently bought a very good set of screwdrivers+keys, very complete, rather solid, good grip, perfect for installing a bumper once in a year. or other casual work. But I've also bought a a tool to remove sparks, and it's really lame, I think it's going to end in the bin... and I'll buy a real one...

Most of their stuff is German and pretty good. That welder's what's known as an AC buzz box. The rods stick horribly and they aren't nice to use, maybe on full blast for welding a Ukranian tractor with 3.2mm rods but not much else. The key words to look for in an ad for stick welders are 'DC' and 'inverter' :grinning:.

Most of their stuff is German and pretty good. That welder's what's known as an AC buzz box. The rods stick horribly and they aren't nice to use, maybe on full blast for welding a Ukranian tractor with 3.2mm rods but not much else. The key words to look for in an ad for stick welders are 'DC' and 'inverter' :grinning:.

yep ill vouch for that i bought a aldi one ages ago its good for manifolds ive done 2 turbo conversions with it but for anything else its useless. it melts thin stuff as soon as i strike up. go for the dc inverter anyday (Y)

Thanks for your help, lads!!!

No welder for now then, will wait till I get some good offer for a DC welder.

Thanks again!

Thread now closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back