Is this viscous limited slip differential?

as above? Is this viscous limited slip differential? is it even possible to make it fit in normal UKDM gearbox? thanks
e144f4e4.jpg

8ba754a1.jpg

ef714012.jpg

49033aca.jpg

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
Matt Humphris seems to get LSDs to fit, i think he machines down the inside of the gearbox

pollyp

Club Member
Matt uses a specific LSD from Gripper for the RS5F30A and 41A gearboxes, no machining needed.

yep he sells by default on his pdf the normal full thickness (1 clutchpack on either side of pinion) type gripper LSD which is stronger & durable but you lose the speedo gear ring thats taken up by the clutches.
or if you specify u need the speedo gear, he can get gripper to machine a special one-sided clutchpack type like on mine.
both are on standard diff bearings so no extra machining needed

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
yep he sells by default on his pdf the normal full thickness (1 clutchpack on either side of pinion) type gripper LSD which is stronger & durable but you lose the speedo gear ring thats taken up by the clutches.
or if you specify u need the speedo gear, he can get gripper to machine a special one-sided clutchpack type like on mine.
both are on standard diff bearings so no extra machining needed

how much did you pay for the custom one?

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
It's also worth noting that the diffs come with 45/45 ramp angles, which is more suited for surfaces like gravel & mud. If we switch out the vLSD from the 31V gearbox for another plate diff we will probably go for something more common like a 40/65 and a lot less pre-load

It maybe because I run an N/A car and don't have PAS but I don't rate the Morris Lodexol 80w/140 that Gripper recommend as a sole lubricant. I had any number of chattering issues out of t-junctions and the plate stiction, even under light throttle, was very noticeable and even quite horrid at times. I got much better results from using Fuchs Titan Pro Race SYN 5 75w90 and about 1/2 bottle of Redline friction modifier, which free'd up a bit of power. Even with that it's still catches you out on some corners but you learn to live with it and generally the easier you try to drive the car the worse it is, so you have to drive the car in a brutal way at times lol!

How is yours fairing up pollyp? I dare say your plates have been abused much more than mine due to more load and more trackdays/daily driving. Mine certainly has plenty of pre-load left and too much bite out of low speed corners. Think I am going to enjoy having a stock Nissan vLSD for a while ;)

pollyp

Club Member
It's also worth noting that the diffs come with 45/45 ramp angles, which is more suited for surfaces like gravel & mud. If we switch out the vLSD from the 31V gearbox for another plate diff we will probably go for something more common like a 40/65 and a lot less pre-load

It maybe because I run an N/A car and don't have PAS but I don't rate the Morris Lodexol 80w/140 that Gripper recommend as a sole lubricant. I had any number of chattering issues out of t-junctions and the plate stiction, even under light throttle, was very noticeable and even quite horrid at times. I got much better results from using Fuchs Titan Pro Race SYN 5 75w90 and about 1/2 bottle of Redline friction modifier, which free'd up a bit of power. Even with that it's still catches you out on some corners but you learn to live with it and generally the easier you try to drive the car the worse it is, so you have to drive the car in a brutal way at times lol!

How is yours fairing up pollyp? I dare say your plates have been abused much more than mine due to more load and more trackdays/daily driving. Mine certainly has plenty of pre-load left and too much bite out of low speed corners. Think I am going to enjoy having a stock Nissan vLSD for a while ;)

oh yeah forgot to say mine's a 2-way 45/45 ramp lsd.

when it was new n grippy back in april 2011 it really surprises you during mid-corner gentle acc/dec transitions as the pack suddenly snaps loose when at zero load. chatter was embarrasingly loud at full lock, even loosened my driveshaft nut several times. hold the wheel tight when you accelerate hard out of a junction cos the lsd would pull the steering into the apex

i remembered that the chattering vanished & LSD action had weakened/less sudden engagement after 6mths 11k miles. preload had completely gone. looking at my tyre wear records the front left began to wear faster after this point.
after afew trackdays n roadtrip n daily driving i came to realise in Dec that I totally forgot to change the lsd oil after 8mths 16k miles, woops:blush:

changed oil mid-Dec and the full-lock wheelspin improved slightly but still no longer chatters (dunno if its supposed to be quiet when bedded or if its suppose to chatter abit to show its working?) and i dunno if i've permanantly glazed/worn out the LSD from the old oil.

i feel i should prob send it off to gripper to rebuild with new clutch, preload, and 1.5-way ramp?

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
Interesting to note your experiences, I bet mine is barely worn in as it's only done say 3000miles and 2-3 track days. I am on the 2nd lot of oil though due to not liking the Lodexol much.

I'd like 1.5way and think it would be much better suited to my preference, (we're all different). Some people like 45/45, others 40/65, some people even run 40/85 with little or no pre-load.

Despite them being a bit frantic through traffic, when you drive them hard they are VERY rewarding and compared to the stock open diff the power and speed you can hold through corners is quite mad by comparison, especially s-bends as the car sits much much flatter and the LSD really helps to keep the front end dug in.

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
Yeah, so keeping on topic, the answers are as follows;

Yes
No

Attached are a couple of comparative photos to show the differences between a 30A and 31V gearbox.

Attachments

• box2.jpg
    box2.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 400
  • box1.jpg
    box1.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 690
thank you very much gentleman. I got the auto bell housing and box, I wonder if I could cut out the bit I need and tig it on the ukbox, probably to much hassle