Is the K11 coil pack version worse than a distributor version?

As daily hacks I have used micras over the years, As a rescue and recovery mechanic for the past 15 years I can honestly say the only call outs to micras were for keys locked in car, flat batteries and wheel changes, with that in mind the micra was my first choice for a cheap reliable super mini. I have progressed from a 1989 K10 to a 1992 1.0 Mk 1 K11 CVT, Then to a 2000 K11 facelift 1.0 celebration. The celebration gave me completely trouble free daily commuting plus loaded up with 4 people and luggage doing distance journeys. The only problem it gave me was the throttle body failure when we were in Montpellier on the Mediteranian coast. After some internet research a trip to the local hypermarket i bought a 12 euro soldering iron with solder and voilla throttle body repaired in the hotel room overnight. Trouble free motoring all the way back to the UK at 380 miles per tank.
Deciding I wanted a daily hack that my kids found had a little more street cred I found a 2001 1.0 Sport (Coil Pack). Ok, I knew the sump was rotten, the front seats b######ed, the wiper linkages were shot and the ns cv boot was goosed (CV had no wear or knock) but knowing it was all easy stuff I knocked the price down and bought it. With the sump replaced and wiper linkages fixed and some black leather seats fitted I thought all was well.
Except; the original ns driveshaft was a bit ropey so I ordered a 2001 1.0 K11 driveshaft with cvs. on examination the new inner cv had the standard 21 splines as on the distributor version, however the inner cv on the removed driveshaft the inner cv shaft was larger and had more splines.
This meant re booting the original one.
Also; it didnt rev as high as the celebration, it was torqueier but I love maxing the revs out and the sport limiter kicks in too early. I am told you can not remap the standard ECU and the only way to increase the rev limit is have to have an aftermarket ecu fitted and programmed at great cost unlike the easy solution on the earlier distributor version.
All this has led me to buying large amounts of cheap cider every night and wondering if I should have kept the celebration which had the throttle body butterfly rod reduction treatment plus 1.3 cams etc. What more unpleasant suprises and mechanical anomalties am i to discover.

Any comments welcome, although I love the original factory interior of the sport I'm seriously considering reverting to a mk 1 facelift...

As daily hacks I have used micras over the years, As a rescue and recovery mechanic for the past 15 years I can honestly say the only call outs to micras were for keys locked in car, flat batteries and wheel changes, with that in mind the micra was my first choice for a cheap reliable super mini. I have progressed from a 1989 K10 to a 1992 1.0 Mk 1 K11 CVT, Then to a 2000 K11 facelift 1.0 celebration. The celebration gave me completely trouble free daily commuting plus loaded up with 4 people and luggage doing distance journeys. The only problem it gave me was the throttle body failure when we were in Montpellier on the Mediteranian coast. After some internet research a trip to the local hypermarket i bought a 12 euro soldering iron with solder and voilla throttle body repaired in the hotel room overnight. Trouble free motoring all the way back to the UK at 380 miles per tank.
Deciding I wanted a daily hack that my kids found had a little more street cred I found a 2001 1.0 Sport (Coil Pack). Ok, I knew the sump was rotten, the front seats b######ed, the wiper linkages were shot and the ns cv boot was goosed (CV had no wear or knock) but knowing it was all easy stuff I knocked the price down and bought it. With the sump replaced and wiper linkages fixed and some black leather seats fitted I thought all was well.
Except; the original ns driveshaft was a bit ropey so I ordered a 2001 1.0 K11 driveshaft with cvs. on examination the new inner cv had the standard 21 splines as on the distributor version, however the inner cv on the removed driveshaft the inner cv shaft was larger and had more splines.
This meant re booting the original one.
Also; it didnt rev as high as the celebration, it was torqueier but I love maxing the revs out and the sport limiter kicks in too early. I am told you can not remap the standard ECU and the only way to increase the rev limit is have to have an aftermarket ecu fitted and programmed at great cost unlike the easy solution on the earlier distributor version.
All this has led me to buying large amounts of cheap cider every night and wondering if I should have kept the celebration which had the throttle body butterfly rod reduction treatment plus 1.3 cams etc. What more unpleasant suprises and mechanical anomalties am i to discover.

Any comments welcome, although I love the original factory interior of the sport I'm seriously considering reverting to a mk 1 facelift...

Also the physical damage I have sustained to my body exceeds mechanics I have undertaken on any micra before. I am thinking of naming it Christine or Satan.

Back