is the 988cc engine in the K10 interferance

Charlotte001

Ex. Club Member
I have another problem with my K10 998cc following replacing the head to a known good one my car is now not starting, the starter is spinning with no problems no knocks/bangs/hisses or creaking but the engine is not starting or attempting to start. When I first replaced everything it did fire although very roughly possibly due to the belt being loose. I have noticed that the cam belt was 4 6 teeth out following that annoying spring flying off. What I really need to know is the engine interferance type or non interferance? I'm fairly sure nothing drastic has happened as the engine didn't lock or make any nasty noises just won't fire.

Charlotte (starting to really fall out with low mileage K10's)

Come on guys/girls someone there must know the answer to whether or not the K10 M10 engine is interferance on it's valves/pistons

Charlotte

Fordy

Ex. Club Member
6 teeth could mean slightly bent valves im affaid, only way to tell is to test it,

1 tooth out either way and you should be fine but 6 is a bit too many
and yes valves can hit the piston

OP
OP
C

Charlotte001

Ex. Club Member
How would you suggest I test from a bent valve? Tomorrow I'm taking all the plugs out to see if I can see any damage to a piston. The engine spins freely on the starter, there are no noises coming from the engine which I would associate with a bent/dropped valve and all 8 rockers move as they should.

There is fuel or at least the float chamber is full of liquid, this could be water from when the other head cracked evaporating everything back into the airbox (nice a clean airbox now) Also going to see if the two timing marks on the crank sprocket and cam are lined up.

I've checked the inhibitor switch for operation on PRND, it operates on on ND which I'd expect. Annoying thing is before I stopped the engine as I noticed the belt was slack it was running fine although the tappets were rattling as I'd expect until oil pressure.

It's almost like the starter has quit.

Charlotte

OP
OP
C

Charlotte001

Ex. Club Member
Nope Dizzy isn't loose. I'm thinking timing too. It had new points two weeks ago, it's got a new timing belt too. and turns on a rachet without any resistance.

Charlotte (keep the suggestions coming I'm sure you'll figure it out as I'm naff with electric.)

K10

Ex. Club Member
surely a compression check would confirm a bent valve.

I've no idea if the MA engines are interference or not.

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Agree with cam set right only way to test is with compression tester. Check for spark and get a can of easy start to see if you can get it going.

Ed

Wessex

Club Member (Trial)
Nope Dizzy isn't loose. I'm thinking timing too. It had new points two weeks ago, it's got a new timing belt too. and turns on a rachet without any resistance.

Charlotte (keep the suggestions coming I'm sure you'll figure it out as I'm naff with electric.)

If there is no resistance then the valves might not be seating properly and hence no pressure in the cylinders when ratcheted round.

Peter.

OP
OP
C

Charlotte001

Ex. Club Member
998cc engine

A compression test is totally unecessary! as all 4 inlet valves are bent every single one !! I am now not happy at all

Charlotte

OP
OP
C

Charlotte001

Ex. Club Member
That's not quite what I said when I found out. Anyone got any suggestions how to get all the water out of the engine ? I've got 90% out but still there is a the emulsion appearing from the new oil. Getting it out of the water system is going to be another challenge. I didn't realise how light the water jacket of the cylinder head is, I do now. Another thing is the fan isn't switching on at the moment I know the thermostat is working because I get a small steady steam from the over flow pipe but the temp guage is only getting to around 1/4 not the normal 1/2 to 3/4 of the scale going to try a new temp switch tomorrow to see if the one which came with the head is faulty.

So once again if anyone's got any ideas of how to get all the emulsified oil out of the engine I'd appreciate it.

Charlotte

lewic

Ex. Club Member
It sounds like some major work here! Wouldnt it be quicker to put another engine in? You might even find a 1.2 in a scrappy

OP
OP
C

Charlotte001

Ex. Club Member
I'm considering another engine, the only difference I can see between the early 1.0 and the early 1.2 is the 1.2 seems to have electronic ignition where the 1.0 has non electronic. I can get a complete 1.0 for £98 with a 3 month warranty (ok not brilliant but it would do summer)

Charlotte