Is it me?

I have just recently purchased a 60 plate micra 1.5dci ntec with only 45k on the clock and after a 230 mile trip it used half a tank of diesel does that sound the right amount of fuel used? I kept it at 70mph or just under and the revs were just a little over 2500. What do you all think?

Depends how linear the fuel gauge is..... The K12 diesel has a 10.1 imp gallon tank and IF the gauge is linear and you have used approx 5 gallons then the car is returning 45.5 mpg...... The only way to check the accuracy is to brim the tank again and divide fuel needed to refill to full by the mileage driven........does sound a bit low to me, my Saab 1.9 diesel returned about that MPG on a 250 mile trip last week and I managed to average 50mph (5 hours driving time) over the trip with much of it on urban and single carriageway roads and the dual carriageways parts pegged at about 90mph with the cruise control.....

As an update just topped it up and for 234 miles it needed 20litres of diesel. Which works out to be about 50mpg (using imperial litre to gallon conversion) which on just the motorway seems a little low to me. The other thing is that the clutch biting point is quite high, would that be a factor in the lower mpg?

Toady my 2010 dci ntec returns 100 miles on a tenner! That's a mixture of motorway and local roads.

The onboard trips A and B are reset every time i fill up, i only use Sainsbury's diesel no fandangly stuff.
The mpg on show never dips below 71 in winter and never under 79 / 80 in summer, however i don't believe them figures.

I have previously filled up, driven 100 miles and filled up again to see how much toady drank, It was £10.65 if i remember correctly.

I would suggest you give yours a full service as i have used all oem parts.

Fuel filter
Engine oil
Oil filter
Air Filter
Pollen filter
Coolant
Brake Fluid
Gear box fluid

Also go for 15 / 20 minute drive, pull over and touch your alloys one by one to see if any are warmer than the others. This is to determine if you have a sticky caliper / binding brake etc.

What does your onboard mpg show?
Could also be your driving style, i take it nice and easy and let her / him pick up speed gently as opposed to full foot down!

Toady my 2010 dci ntec returns 100 miles on a tenner! That's a mixture of motorway and local roads.

The onboard trips A and B are reset every time i fill up, i only use Sainsbury's diesel no fandangly stuff.
The mpg on show never dips below 71 in winter and never under 79 / 80 in summer, however i don't believe them figures.

I have previously filled up, driven 100 miles and filled up again to see how much toady drank, It was £10.65 if i remember correctly.

I would suggest you give yours a full service as i have used all oem parts.

Fuel filter
Engine oil
Oil filter
Air Filter
Pollen filter
Coolant
Brake Fluid
Gear box fluid

Also go for 15 / 20 minute drive, pull over and touch your alloys one by one to see if any are warmer than the others. This is to determine if you have a sticky caliper / binding brake etc.

What does your onboard mpg show?
Could also be your driving style, i take it nice and easy and let her / him pick up speed gently as opposed to full foot down!

Thank you for your reply and the great advice on offer.

It was serviced just over two weeks ago by the Honda dealership where I bought it from so I am hoping that they would of followed a fairly high standard of servicing, but saying that you never know with main dealers.

The recent drive consisted of about 97% motorway on my recent trip of 230 miles, with a very small amount of town driving, and the trip computer was showing between 50-60 mpg which when I fuelled it back up and did the formula of miles divided by actual gallons used came out at 50mpg.

On the motorway I stuck to between 65-70mph for the whole trip with the very odd bit of overtaking and the revs was at 2600 (which did seem a little high) at 70mph but that may be the norm so I am not sure.

While the engine is smooth, as it has only done 46000 miles, the clutch is high so I am not sure that the clutch may be part of the issue as in 1st and 2nd gear the revs rise very quick to get it moving. I don't really give the car much stick and in terms of acceleration I am pretty much like yourself with letting it build up speed.

Also I have just used my engine diagnostic tool and it does come up with a trouble code of P0670 which is a Glow plug module control circuit malfunction so not sure if that is a contributing factor.

I will check out the alloys when I am out in it again as you could be right and it could be the brakes binding which is a great bit of advice.

I just wasn’t sure if it is me thinking the worst or if there is a problem that I need to take it back to the dealers about as I am still in the 30 day window of ownership.

Any further advice or thoughts are very much appreciated.

If the previous owner has just pottered about in it then it may have done a dpf regen whilst you were driving along the motorway. When the dpf regens it will use more fuel and you will notice a chemically sort of smell.

If the previous owner has just pottered about in it then it may have done a dpf regen whilst you were driving along the motorway. When the dpf regens it will use more fuel and you will notice a chemically sort of smell.

I would agree but it has used the exact same amount of fuel for the 230 mile trip to Birmingham and the same 230 mile trip back to where I am in the North East of England. Saying that though it might be the reason as looking at the MOT history some years it has only done about 2k miles which is very, very low for a diesel car and could be super coked up thus needing to burn extra fuel to clear the dpf when given the chance.

The 1.2 petrol gets over 50mpg for motorway driving.

Thank you for your comment and that’s why I was questioning how much mpg my car is currently doing on the motorway as 50mpg is definitely petrol territory whereas diesel should be way higher.

We also have a juke 1.5 diesel, same engine I presume, it gets over 60mpg on average, 50-50 motorway/town roads. I've had over 70mpg on careful long motorway journeys.

We also have a juke 1.5 diesel, same engine I presume, it gets over 60mpg on average, 50-50 motorway/town roads. I've had over 70mpg on careful long motorway journeys.

I will have to get in touch with the dealership and see what they say regarding my lowish mpg as the Juke is a heavier car than the Micra and it does seem that they have the same engine but yours has a little more poke but in theory, I should be getting more miles per gallon. Thank you for commenting!

Back