Is a CVT Auto Micra a good or bad option?

Morning all,

My unit running a dream right now but saw an insanely perfect condition 1.0 16v 5d CVT Auto 96' for sale and have to confess it took my eye a bit

Just some opinions please ... is CVT the rubber belt thing like on later Citroens? Is the Auto a good option?

Car in question done 19k and is perfect.

Common sense says stick with my known commodity but interested (all things being equal) in if that model would be a good option?

I have only driven a manual 1.0 pre-facelift so a bit in the dark

Cheers

Correct on the rubber band, stands for constant variable transmission, been around for years talbot used em in the 70s and Also Volvo for a while. fairly reliable box and an engine with that box won’t have been thrashed either.

Should the 1996 K11 CVT have a textile braced rubber belt, as implied above, then it would be perished well passed its replacement date?

I think that modern CVTs have steel drive bands but that may or may not apply to a 1996 vintage K11?

The vehicle maybe rare but a quick K11 CVT search reveals almost endless threads of CVT issues & problems listed on the MSC as follows.

Reference: https://www.micra.org.uk/search/402325/?q=K11+CVT&o=relevance

As always do your own research as well as read the evidence of MSC owners experiences with the K11 CVT & base your conclusions on the evidence.

Good luck! :unsure:

Last edited:
Correct on the rubber band, stands for constant variable transmission, been around for years talbot used em in the 70s and Also Volvo for a while. fairly reliable box and an engine with that box won’t have been thrashed either.

Yeah the MIL got a C3 with that and have to say it puts my teeth on edge .... trying overtake on the motorway is a life changing event! :-( .... is new well maintained etc just unpredictable.

This particular Micra is insanely well maintained, low miles and been madly over protected. Common sense says dont do it but a bit of the brain is pulled to it :) Thanks for the explanation.

Should the 1996 K11 CVT have a textile braced rubber belt, as implied above, then it would be perished well passed its replacement date?

I think that modern CVTs have steel drive bands but that may or may not apply to a 1996 vintage K11?

The vehicle maybe rare but a quick K11 CVT search reveals almost endless threads of CVT issues & problems listed on the MSC as follows.

Reference: https://www.micra.org.uk/search/402325/?q=K11+CVT&o=relevance

As always do your own research as well as read the evidence of MSC owners experiences with the K11 CVT & base your conclusions on the evidence.

Good luck! :unsure:

Is a point plm and as I have said many times, better to shake down a known commodity and stick with. But it shines so nicely and is purple! :)

Thanks for the link and data point.

Is a point plm and as I have said many times, better to shake down a known commodity and stick with. But it shines so nicely and is purple! :)

Thanks for the link and data point.

Quote: “it shines so nicely and is purple”!

Purple shine won’t pay the CVT failure bills?

Known & Unknown unknowns are likely to surface when you put a CVT back into normal use after 24 years laid up year after year doing nothing apart from the annual outing for MOT & service mileage?

Either way, a CVT issue emerging will render it as an economic right off beyond economic repair being such an obsolete auto K11 for which there is little rational evidence based demand & certainly little retail market appetite for an invariably overpriced low mileage vehicle?

In short, if you do not have a underlying health limitation, why bother with it?

Also be sure not to pay too much for it bearing in mind a CVT issue could write it off much sooner than the very low mileage might suggest?

Good luck

Back