intermittent stalling and engine management light on my k11

Matthewway

Club Member (Trial)
Hi there, ive had my k11 for just over a week now, have done about 250 - 300 miles in it and on 2 occasions when starting the car up it stalled after a few seconds of ticking over and the engine management light comes on. ive got a small shopping list of parts for it after giving it a good going over, one of which is a new bush for the battery earth lead terminal as its gotten thinner and the terminal doesnt clamp on very tight. Do you reckon this could be the cause of it? like i said ive been out in it quite a bit since i bought it and its only done it twice, and theres no other obvious cause. There's also a slightly dodgy looking bodge on the fuse box...

..these were the best pics i could get with my phone and a torch out in the dark, the positive wires are tucked underneath and i cant quite see where they go without taking the fuse box off, but the negative wires go into the L/headlight and R/headlight connectors.

17377_471879580296_573545296_11042965_5557009_n.jpg

17377_471879595296_573545296_11042966_3174024_n.jpg

17377_471879565296_573545296_11042964_4866278_n.jpg

cheers,
matt

That fusebox is VERY prone to damp. You will probably find that the fuel pump fuse/holder has also corroded. That's why the previous owner has modded the headlamp fuses.
We had the same problem. The legs had corroded away from the fuel pump fuse. Made enough contact to start the car but vibration caused it to lose contact, stall and put the MIL on.

Error codes 141 and 143 I think I got.

OP
OP
M

Matthewway

Club Member (Trial)
cheers for the heads up mate thats quite a relief, im off to the scrappies on monday so ill try pick up a half decent one there, some silicon spray in there should hopefully help prevent it happening again!

Have you seen this mod before? I tried to have a look at where the positives went without taking the box off but couldnt see where they joined on, does the mod basically just cut out the fuse box and connect to the loom underneath??

cheers again mate youve been a big help.

eh up lad!:)
glad you finely joined, welcome!
im gonna try to get monday covered so i can come up to bridges with you. gonna try to get some bits to mess about with.
and get some pics up of the car!!

Our Micra had one of the headlamp fuse done pretty much like that before we got it.
I was lucky enough to just have to clean the fuel pump fuse holder up and fit a new fuse.

This was over 6 years ago. Just found my old post.
http://www.ilexa.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=463.0

It was a nightmare, so I always keep an eye on this forum to see if I can help anyone else.
Hope yours is as easy to fix

OP
OP
M

Matthewway

Club Member (Trial)
cheers guys, this website is proveing to be v.useful already! and ed let me know if you get the day off! i only need a couple of lil bits

if the battery connection is bad then when the car dies all the dash lights and everything would die at the same time, where as if it were just a fuse then all the other electrics would be fine:)