Intermiitent Engine Fault - 2006 1.2 K12

Hi,
I have developed a fault which is not always present. My local garage man has been out for a look at the car as it became undriveable on Saturday. The engine will suddenly try and cut out, (especially on low throttle) so that someone nearly rear-ends you, then the car will shoot forward as it picks up again and I have to be careful not to ram the guy in front! Sometimes it is so bad it is trying to run on only one or two cylinders, with much popping and banging. The faulty running came and went several times while he had it hooked up, then he had to give up as it righted itself. I have just driven about 10 miles in heavy traffic and on open roads, and it has behaved perfectly for the first time in 11 days. I had similar symptoms a few years ago and ended up having both lamda sensors renewed. We are even wondering if there could be contaminated fuel in the tank, but I never let it get low to prevent this. Any suggestions please, as I am 70, in poor health, and need my car to be reliable? I should add that the engine management light does not show, and no fault codes are showing when the car is switched off.

Sorry but with no engine codes this would be hard to diagnose unseen, my honest advice is take it to a main dealer, consult 3 has the option of leaving the box plugged into the car with set triggers so when the fault happens the data can be retrieved at a later date for further dignities.

Thank you very much. The car is now sorted, but needed both lamda sensors replacing. We think it may be partly due to the fact that at least 99% of the trips are for distances of 2 or 3 miles, not allowing the cat to warm up properly.

Back