Interior light door setting not working

Just bought a new interior light bulb for my car. When I bought the car the old bulb was blown but when I put the new one I discovered that it will only work on the ON setting and not the DOOR setting. Any ideas how to fix this ?

Is it the same for all doors? Check door switches (short them out), the switch on the light itself and associated wiring first and see how you get on.

Just checked there, doesn't work on any of the doors. Anybody know what it is exactly that triggers the light to come off/on with the doors ?

It's been a while since I had a K11 but I'm sure the doors should have a "shut" sensor
...on the K12 it's basically a small spring in a rubber surround...it's depressed when the door is shut against it and springs back out when the door is no longer pressed against it...sending the message to the light (and the dash) that the door is ajar.
If the K11 works in this same way perhaps the sensor is stuck on closed...but that would be a bit weird if all the doors aren't sending the "open" message :oops:
which does suggest a wiring error further towards the light unit itself (or the switch within the unit)

Was the "new" light unit actually brand New or off another car?... if you got it from a scrap yard I'd recommend seeing if you can clean it... make sure the connections are good and not corroded...I think that some K11's had leaks into the light unit?...water ingress possibly?... lots of things :confused:

I should have made it clearer in my OP that I only got a new bulb, and not a new light unit. Apologies.

I know of the rubber springs that you are referring to but as they are only on the front doors and not the back I assumed is wasn't them.

Oh I see ^_^
well...it could still be the light unit...perhaps the connection for the "door open" switch has come loose and may need soldering back to work...or it may have become corroded and just need a bit of a clean ;)

...I guess if all else fails you could get a replacement light unit :p

Had a quick look at the lighting unit earlier on and noticed that the wire(s) are heading back in the direction of the windscreen. Would anybody know where these lead to ? I'm assuming to one of the front pillars ? Gonna have a proper look at the contacts where the switch is tomorrow and see whats up with them.

Buy yourself a multimeter. They're not expensive yet invaluable when checking electrics. Then you can test that there's power to the light unit and door switches. Also check the relevant fuse that covers the interior lights. I'll check my Haynes manual and find the fuse for you in case you haven't bought a manual yet.

Had a look at the light unit earlier (although I've to still check it with a multimeter) and the switches are making contact with the contacts and don't seem to be corroded either. The central locking is also not working at the moment and I'm just wondering if that and the light unit are in any way connected ?

Back