Intercooler setups

euro_micra

Matt :)
What intercooler setup are you using?

Aftermarket or stock? Size or make and model? Where you might find one? What's the charge pipe diametre, materials? What route it take and what modifications where needed to fit it? etc.

The reason behind the question is that I've tried a couple out lately (stock ford focus rs and an aluminium renault 5 turbo) but neither fit anywhere without major modifications to the radiator, slam panel and bumper.
I've searched btw, but I think a compilation of options in one place would be a good idea.

OP
OP
euro_micra

euro_micra

Garret T2, 2"(51mm) outlet.
7823655948_703670bb84_z.jpg

OP
OP
euro_micra

euro_micra

You not do another like it?

That's a MR2 intercooler that has been modified to suit iirc. I may try and find an alternative. But even then it's quite a lot of pipework and a lot of which runs over the turbo, mani and head warming the air up again.

Stani1029

Club Member
My intercooler would give you a short pipe route like mines?

73CB2AC2-864D-4B13-B59F-3ADA221EC50E-5037-00000504C54C55DE_zps86659f7d.jpg

Only slight trimming to the metal edge near the headlight needed

OP
OP
euro_micra

euro_micra

My intercooler would give you a short pipe route like mines?

Yeah I keep looking back at yours, looks decent and should work with mine. But I've not seen an intercooler like it thats within my budget. Some cars come with twinpass intercoolers which would be similar, but the smallest one I tried was too big.

Rob

Cosworth turbo'd 1.3
If you keep your eye open you can get them on ebay cheap if you are prepared to make them fit.

OP
OP
euro_micra

euro_micra

Whats the budget like?
I'm not sure. It must be good value for money and hold it's resale value. I've been looking at second hand all aluminium ones for under £50.
If you keep your eye open you can get them on ebay cheap if you are prepared to make them fit.
Yeah I keep bidding on a few, hoping to bag some cheap ones to try. It's getting the pipework to fit too without it getting complicated and expensive.