Insurance Woes

MicraFish

Rollin' with Diesel and V8 Power
I'm leaving Direct Line as they're rubbish and won't allow any mods in the policy, so I looking for a different insurer.
I have no no-claims discount because Direct Line will only honour it if you stay with them, which is pants.

Who is everyone with? What are they like? How good is your premium? And what NCB does anyone have?

Sorry for all th questions, you don't have to answer if you don't want to - I just want to find a decent cheap insurer who won't rip me off for Third Party Fire and Theft :(

i tried direct line today and no go with the mods and sky insurance well i need to have been driving for 2 years for them to queto what a load of don't swear these insurance companys of today are to fussy for custome

oooh ouch! 900 with no claims? :(

My luck isn't shining on me!

Thanks for your replies guys, keep em coming :)

yer thats pretty good as most companys don't take bike inurance as no claims proof. would have been £1300 without that! i;m a bloke too which doesnt help :p

Nissan Micra:
22, 3 years NCB, 3 years driving
£575 TPFT with highway, mods declared: Bodykit, Lowered, Alloys, Re-spray

Ford Orion
22, 1 years no claims, 4 years driving
£1400 TPFT with Turbo. :(

£2000 a year for 2 cars, LMAO!

Right, I think I may be going with AutoTrader. Fairly trustworthy name.
£477 odd quid for TPFT, total payable £528.01 as i will be paying £39 monthly and having some sort of legal protection.

Not bad, I suppose, with no claims!

Im with quinn direct, first year was £1080.00 2nd year its £550, quite a drop plust best thing is, they dont charge extra for mods, except ones that increase bhp.

i'm with quinn too

18 as named driver, mother has 3 years no claims.
no mods declared, on a 1.3

around £1000!

but it is my 1st year driving i guess

dammit!

Got away from quinn £890 new price after a year with them.

Elephant! are great!

£550, mods declared, 1 years no claims, 2 older women addition drivers! 18years old!

If you want cheaper car insurance, put an older woman on the policy as a additional driver.

I have 2 and they knocked off £200 in total, just for having them on!!

got my mom and nan! lol

I was with quinn last yr, £1081 i paid, cheapest by far. the renewal came last week £806, cheapest ive been quoted is £520 else were, so i think bye bye quinn

Got away from quinn £890 new price after a year with them.

Elephant! are great!

£550, mods declared, 1 years no claims, 2 older women addition drivers! 18years old!

If you want cheaper car insurance, put an older woman on the policy as a additional driver.

I have 2 and they knocked off £200 in total, just for having them on!!

got my mom and nan! lol

good idea mate does it really work

yes it does!! i did have my dad on there with his 30 years driving, but its still cheap with one woman, then add another and it gets even cheaper! haha! :)

Funny that you mention Sky, I called them for a quote just to get more ideas, and I spoke to a Luke I think (very helpful chap :D ). They will beat the Autotrader quote I got, and offer a premium of £440 ish, which is good. Initial payment is a bit high - £100 ish, but I hope they do me proud! :love:

I'm with Highway, on my March with 3 years NCB I'm paying £307 TPF&T with 3 points and a claim against me, that allows me to drive any other car that isn't owned by or registered to me, not bad really considering it's an import and my loadings.

It sounds like i got ripped off. Paying £1800 for the year on a 1.3 slx with my brother. Fully Comp with Churchill.

Is my first year of driving, and i was 17 when i bought the policy. So long as I don't crash should go down by a bit next year...

A 1.3 will cost you a fair bit at 18, you've just got to bide your time until it comes down to a reasonable price in about 3 years if you keep your nose clean.

Well Sky's come through with a quote of £441 which ain't bad.
Trouble is my friend is now putting me in a dilemma saying that I'm fairly close to getting 1years ncb (60%) or something and I should just stick it out with Direct Line until I earn that 1yncb so I can put it towards insuring a better, bigger engined car.
But I like my car and don't want to take the wheels off, or run uninsured until september which is renewal.

Opinions?

Firstly DO NOT run your car uninsured, that idea is just crazy!

I would just take the wheels off and have your car properly insured until September and gain your first year no claims as this is priceless when it comes to your premium coming down. September is only a matter of 5-6 months away.

By canceling your insurance and setting up another will overall cost you more money and also put back getting your 1st year no claims bonus and in the long term cost you even more. Once you have about 3 years under your belt your premiums will really start to come down.

Finish your premium with Direct Line, get your 1 yr ncb and then go with Sky and put your wheels back on, you will also find Sky cheaper again with 1 yr ncb.

Kev

get a quote for how much next years insurance will be with a years no claims and see if its cheaper to do that or to change insuracne now. depends how much you like your alloys?

hi micrafish i rang sky insurance and thay refused to give me insurance because i had not been driving for 2 or more years so may i ask how you got a quote if u have not been drivng long as you are only just coming up to one years no claims bonus now maybe you have been driving longer and had a crash and lost some i dont no i am confused lol please help as i was not happy with skys insurance service

Rob: Well I've had my full license 2 years, but I was as a named driver on my mum's policy for both those years, and only earnt 1 year named driver no claims with the result of that.
I'm now in my third year of driving, and have only started insuring in my own name since September.
Never had a crash, just haven't been insured in my own name before, hence the zilch no claims (as Direct Line won't honour the named driver NCB)

Kev: I suppose taking the wheels off is going to be the most logical solution, unfortunately :down: Makes me wish I hadn't got these alloys yet. I love em, but now have nowhere to store them until September :down:
Darn, the Rangers garage is going to have a right laugh at me when I go back to them to get the wheels taken off again :down:

take the wheels off yourself and put back on the originals.

It's easy to do.

Surely a friend could store them until September, where are your originals, can't you just swap them round?

Kev

What about balancing and stuff though?
Trouble is, my dad has all the tools, and I will need to go to his to take them off, and I'll get a lecture on why I put them on in the first place :down:

Anyone local mind if I pop round to take them off? And then find somewhere to store them....?

:down:

Thanks for the offer, you never know!
Lets hope for the best hey!

(ps, get on msn! I haven't spoken to you yet! :p)

I'm in Box, Wiltshire I'll change them over for you if u want or I'm at college at castle combe so may be able to do it there.

Where's Box? Actually, it's ringing a bell! I might take you up on that offer modded Micra :grinning: You got MSN? we can arrange something if you want?
Cheers!

Very much appreciated, thank you! :D
It was a big shame, they did look a bit phwooooar didn't they?

Nice meeting you too Joe! :D

Very true! I may as well, I have a fair bit of time to do it in, don't I lol :grinning:

Huzzah! All sorted, my mum has said the wheels can be stored at hers somewhere until I get my new insurance in September! :love:

Wow, sometimes parents can really pull through can't they?!

Now, what would be the effects of the weather on the wheels and tyres unused for six months under a tarpulin.... fwn

Back