Insurance Shock

D4R73N

Ex. Club Member
ME - Nissan Micra K11 1.0 S (1997)

Held Licence 9 Months - No Claims / Convictions - Full UK W/ Pass Plus

NCB - 1 Year

Insurance Cover - TPTF

Quote = £1175

Anyone else had the same problem, belive it or not but they want more now then when i was a learner... "why" I asked them, "because your a young driver"... Thats not all, its near enough the same quote everywhere I try...

Does anyone here know of any cheap insurance companies for Young Drivers?

Cheers, Darren.

my micra with admiral is £1500 10 month bonus accelarator with admiral i choose them because am paying via direct debit it £1100 upfront cash though

Allan

Ex. Club Member
Thats cheap Darren...

TPFT when i first for my car, £1600.

Im now NCB of 3 years and down to 450ish.

chrissy

Ex. Club Member
put ur mum or dad on it and it'll drop to below a grand im 19 been driving for 2 years no pass plus named driver under my mum and for me to get my own policy its 950 with all mods declared
cars is alarmed/imobilised kept on secure driveway and i put my mum on it as the second driver dropped about 300 bucks couldnt beleive it

Gemma85

banished to the buses
mine was £1200 mark with elephant at 19 on provisional with mam as named driver... then changed to full driving licence and took my mam off stayed the same and now 20 and its 600 odd

micra man

Golf GTi Turbo
D4R73N said:
Does anyone here know of any cheap insurance companies for Young Drivers?

Unfortunately mate, those two phrases do not exist together lol. As someone said try putting your parents on, that should bring it down a little bit but the best way to get it down is to build up years no claims bonus. Not much good now I know but once you have a few it soon really quickly starts coming down. :) Just shop around also to find the cheapest quote possible. It varies for different people with different companies due to ages location etc.

gam1984

Professional lurker.....
Norwich union new drivers policy, check it out.

I'm on it myself. Its a 9 month policy with one years no claims after that time. I'm 22, held licence one year and on £460 fully comp.....

I see you have pass plus. Interesting thing worth remembering, my insurance quote would actually have INCREASED if I had taken pass plus. Strange, but true.....

M

micra-power

that sounds cheap mate. it also depends on were you live. i live in the countryside and its dead cheap for me, also because car crime is down in my area. were as my mate in carlisle who had a micra the same as my micra payed more because he lived near a bad area were car crime was bad. he still payed more than me even though he had a clean licence and i had 5 points and 1 claim.

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
how old are u?

im 19 1yr ncb with licence held 1yr 7 months. Live in a medium-high risk postcode area parked on street with alarm and immobilizer. one crash (not at fault) 1994 Micra 1.0L

TPFT at £740 with Quinn Direct through confused.com

scottish-sr

Ex. Club Member
I was phoning up companies a while ago. One said a 17-19 year old would insure fully comp on a 2L Astra for £900.

So I phoned up, told them about my car and got a quote of £3500.

I asked why and she said due to my age, then I questioned her about the advert as it said an 17 year old could be insured for £900 on a 2L, which is much faster than my car. She had no answer, then changed to say it was due to my job, mobile DJ and that people could come out parties and trash the car.

I said I didn't take the car to parties then she just rambled on about age, where I stay etc.

Performance Direct would insure me £1100 fully comp all mods declared on a 1.3

babyboom

Ex. Club Member
i got my insurance through arnold clark (its with allianz cornhill though) when i bought my 97 1L shape, i crashed that once, lol, then wrote it off, and now i got a 98 1.3L si my insurance is £500 fully comp with 2 crashes and also declaring my exhaust and sounds, which i think isn't too bad considering lol

Is it compulsary for you guys fully comprehensive insurance or something? That's expensive insurance..!

Calculate $739AUD for fully comprehensive - 19yr old male with no bad history, fines, etc and listed modifications. And yah my insurance is just cheap period compared to alot of other people here who pay like $1500 for insurance on their N15 Pulsar/Almera 2.0L's.

Crazy. I dunno how some people drive without fully comprehensive insurance. The risk of hitting something REALLY expensive scares me haha!

N

nizzanz1

compehensive compared to basic has no difference on the insurance when it comes to hitting another car whether its a banger or a mclaren f1.

Lucky you lot... Here if you don't have comprehensive insurance and you hit someone else you have to fork out for damages to the other party as well as your own. Comprehensive you just pay the excess and insurance deals with the cost of the damages.

Owning a car in the UK sounds mighty expensive! I can see why Micras are so popular.

gam1984

Professional lurker.....
Yom said:
Owning a car in the UK sounds mighty expensive! I can see why Micras are so popular.

Yep :)

Although saying that, I've had some quotes that were actually cheaper fully comp than third party. I think that the UK insurance market is a bit like something out of the twilight zone to be honest.....

Layla

Deactivated Account
elephant.co.uk

19, 1lt, no ncb, TPFT = £340

or ring norwich union and tell them you drive a hatchback *rolls eyes*

OP
OP
D4R73N

D4R73N

Ex. Club Member
Layla said:
elephant.co.uk

19, 1lt, no ncb, TPFT = £340

or ring norwich union and tell them you drive a hatchback *rolls eyes*

Yeah but your a girl, you can insure a skyline for what we pay on a Civic :p...

N

nizzanz1

Yom said:
Lucky you lot... Here if you don't have comprehensive insurance and you hit someone else you have to fork out for damages to the other party as well as your own. Comprehensive you just pay the excess and insurance deals with the cost of the damages.

in the uk comprehensive means if you damage your own car you get compensated. if you dont have it you dont get a penny if you damage it, but you are still insured to drive.

i cant believe your system allows drivers on the road that they can legally not be covered 3rd party. what happens if an unemployed driver with a £50 banger writes off a ferrari? he could probably only contribute £50 or so to compensate the ferrari owner. strange.

D4R73N said:

i'm sure you could go to court of human rights for it to be judged you shouldnt need to declare your gender for the sake of insurance. its discriminatory on gender. the fact that men are more likely to crash is not relevent. its still gender discrimination. the law exists for employers they cant tell a woman they dont want to employ them as they are 100% more likely to have a baby and be away than a man is. thats a risk assesment they are not allowed to consider.

Gemma85

banished to the buses
D4R73N said:

How the heck is my insurancxe not as low as that with elephant then we live in the same area and Im older with 1 years no claims 1ltr

nizzanz1 said:
in the uk comprehensive means if you damage your own car you get compensated. if you dont have it you dont get a penny if you damage it, but you are still insured to drive.

i cant believe your system allows drivers on the road that they can legally not be covered 3rd party. what happens if an unemployed driver with a £50 banger writes off a ferrari? he could probably only contribute £50 or so to compensate the ferrari owner. strange..

3rd party is compulsary and paid with rego.

If I paid my rego, and nothing else I would just have compulsary 3rd party insurance. Which really only covers injury to people, and not much else as far as i know. So if i hit a ferrari and caused $10,000 worth of damage, ferrari driver's insurance company would bend me over backwards to get the money out of me. Plus I'd have to pay for the repairs to my own car.

The next step up is 3rd party fire/theft. Which still doesnt cover you if you run into a light pole or another car and cause damage. IT will however cover you if your car catches fire (and its not your fault) or someone steals it. This is the most common type of insurance taken out by young drivers here because its fairly cheap.

There are sometimes a few grades in between 3rd party fire/theft and fully comprehensive. Depends on the insurance company, type of car you drive, and who you are. Some of these are like enthusiast insurance companies who don't mind if you race your car. basically they cover you while on the road and turn a blind eye to you on the track. if you screw up and crash the car on the track, they wont cover you but your insurance won't be void. If i were to take my micra racing tomorrow night and I crashed on the track, I wouldn't be covered by insurance. Plus if my insurance company found out, my policy would be void. There's a few drawbacks to cheap coverage... :p

I refuse to drive a vehicle unless it is comprehensively insured. Its a fair bit more expensive over the other options available, but damn its worth the piece of mind. If i crash, instead of paying thousands upon thousands for the repair i simply pay my excess of $650 and the car gets repaired. Yay.

To give you an idea about how cheap it is to run the micra in the state I live...

around $550AUD a year for registration (gets more expensive the more cylinders you have in your car)
around $1.39AUD per Litre of 98ron petrol
around $750AUD per year for fully comprehensive insurance for me (thank goodness for family bundle discounts - otherwise i'd be paying in excess of $1300AUD per year for the same coverage)

Don't need to go in for yearly checks or anything like that... This will change soon though. Too many piles of #### on the roads. Other states in australia have yearly inspections like your MOT's.

*hugs micra*

N

nizzanz1

car onwnership is quite hard here on the money. in terms of insurance though once in late 20's its cheap. i could afford to insure my self on a ferrari no problem. i just need to be given one to insure thats all.:down:
just for the record a ferrari 456 5.5 v12 442bhp same year as my micra is (1995), which was £161000 new. would cost me just over £900 a year to insure.

this is the list i have for my next car which i should be getting later this month.
includes quotes for fully comprehensive insurance.

2002 civic type-r £446
2003 clio 172 cup £396
2005 colt czt £416
2002 celica 190 £387
1999 integra type-r £618
2002 lupo gti £349
1998 elise £547

hondas are well more expensive than other makes. lotus, well mmmm lotus.

God, you would hate me if you knew how much my insurance was. :blush: I am ancient, and a girl, though. Your insurance goes up when you go from provisional to full, because you no longer have the supervision of a "responsible" person. As others have suggested, keep yourself as the main driver to build up your no claims, but try adding an experienced driver as a named driver. Saves me more than a third by having my o/h on the insurance also.

I could also insure similar cars for similar prices to nizzanz1, even though I only passed my test in June last year. Got a quote for an S15 Silvia (my dream car) last week for only £700, just the cost of buying the car that's the problem. The British insurance industry is a joke really, although I'm not complaining, it seems to work in my favour. :)

Batch

Ex. Club Member
my first car, metro 1.1 £1100 per year third party.

now, 23 with 4 years no claims, 2.0gt Nissan Micra K10 £860 third party.

However, driving a rover 820Si atm £327 per year :)

Antony

Ex. Club Member
i am 21, live in beruit.....and have no years no claims, been driving for 6 months...have a 160bhp peugeot 309 GTI for £1600 fully comp....

same person....writen car off......micra 1.3.........£300 fully comp... hahaha:love:

M

micraisok

go to bell.co.uk

me mates just got a 1.3 Starlet Turbo Import with 0 NCB for £1400

Gemma85

banished to the buses
Layla said:
my car is standard though

so is mine...havnt got round to declarin the wheels yet oops....or the springs I was gonna wait till I had the exhaust on next week 2 save me getting the admin charge twice...hope I dont crash

B

Ben

How have you only held your licence for 9 month and have 1 yrs NCB????

If its that thing where you pay for a year and get 1 yrs NCB after so many months then this is probably why as next to none insurance companies acknolwedge this as being a years ncb

G

gfunk

Where everybody lives affects insurance quotes hugely.

Don't go around each insurer seperately; go to http://www.confused.com

They search 96 insurers, although a few wont insure new drivers, most will.

My daughter had her license for the exact same time, 1 years NCB, 9 month lives with pass plus - £700 TFTP on micra 1.0 s

If you're getting quoted more go to confused.com, pick the lowest 3 quotes and get them to compete with each other.

10 minutes of saying "but they offer me this: £xx" then eventually you could save hundreds. Saved £210 in one go for my daughter doing this.

People seem FAR too willing to not research insurance it would seem!

N

nizzanz1

i tried confused.com and the cheapest result was more expensive than 3 other indivdual searches i did with other insurers. dont be fooled into brokers finding you the best deal. always do a bit of extra work.

R

RIK

welcome to my world mate

just got my new new renewll after they messed up..and its £1770

I've found that Tesco was the cheapest when I was looking to insure mine. Everywhere else were charging well over £1000 for third party fire and theft but with Tesco I managed to get it at just over £800 fully comp.

That's on an '93 (L), 1.0L 16V, Automatic with N-CVT

Up for renewal in August and looking at a 30% drop in premium because I've held a no claims bonus due to dealing myself with the repairs cused by two tossers (one drunk and one and who'd just passed their test) taking out a back panel, door, bumper, grill, wing, tyre, wheel, bonnet ... in the process of repairing the back panel and door seems the girl JUST decided that she won't pay up.

Consider that that's on someone who passed their test at sixteen so it isn't too bad, just holding off doing any serious mod's until my premium goes down.

NiteSite

Ex. Club Member
I think it's cheaper when you're a learner because you have someone "responsible" in the car with you at all times, so less chance of an accident or wreckless driving etc.

I passed my test Jan 2005 and I was quoted 1200 for a 1.3 Micra SR. I told them I had found a cheaper quote at £800 and then they came down from £1200 to £740!! My quote for my new Micra is £318 with 1 years NCB, whooop! My advice is shop around and blag em by saying you've been offered cheaper and see if they'll better it. :)

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
i'm on £2750 at the mo!!!!!!!

it sucks but then i'm a really crap driver lol :)

G

gfunk

I didn't mean do confused.com on it's own, but it certainly helps save time with some of the bigger-named insurers.

If you're not going to use confused, best try get your current insurer down to as little as possible; very few people haggle here in the UK for a reduction in their insurance, which is why it costs so much for some folk. Bit of research saves hundreds!

K

Kyle

R05_Micra said:
try confused.com, screentrade.co.uk or quotezone.co.uk when i get my 1.6 golf mk4, its only £1412 TPFT :D

I'm insured on a 2.5 litre for less than that !

M

MichaelD

you HAVE to be kidding.

the same quote for me, with 1years ncb on the same car (i'm 20 mind you) was just £450.

Check out www.quinndirect.com and definately use www.confused.com

Shop around, i played norwich union off quinn and got another £50 off.

Phone up the customer services for norwich and tell them you want to be quoted happy, you just had a quote from quinn and thought they might be able to beat it.

you should NOT be paying > £1000 man.